Does Anyone Else Hate the Sting Rays ?

DFritz

I am constantly reading posts where cruisers tell how much they "loved" the sting rays. I'm really glad they did but I must say I hated them. I know, strong word. No, I don't wish they would all evaporate and die but I did get totally creeped out by them and I refuse to get in the water. Am I a loner or are there other closet sting ray haters out there?

( If you were considering a Sting Ray excursion please DO NOT let my opinion change your mind as I am sure that you will be one of those that will absolutely love it.)

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;12;04;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

'Til my next cruise

DFritz, I know exactly how you feel. We've been to StingRay City twice and although I did get into the water both times I just walked around and kept my eyes peeled for a dark shadow coming toward me so I could avoid it, lol. I know they don't hurt people but I don't like to be startled and when they brush by me it scares the you-know-what out of me.

DH, on the other hand, loved them.

Holiday 7/95

Enchanted Isle 7/96

Jubilee 7/97

Destiny 7/99

Triumph 7/21/01

Explorer 6/22/02

Conquest 6/22/03

Navigator 1/24/04

Carnival Spirit 2/27/04

Mariner 10/17/04

Adventure 2/13/05

ship_in_a_bottle_e0.gif

I was terrified at first at Sting Ray City but I had to try getting in the water with them. I was started the first time or two when they brushed up against me. Got the guide to bring one up to the surface and let me hold it and feed it and I wasn't so afraid anymore.

The only thing I hate about being around them is being the last one in the water with them and no food for them! I was surrounded by a "cloud" of black in the water. Everybody kept yelling from the boat to keep walking and they would move but I wasn't too convinced. I felt better back on the boat.

Would I do it again?? In a heartbeat!

Kelly

My Cruise Pics: http://community.webshots.com/user/kfrancis5

Cruise Critic Partae Pirates Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;02;13;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

partaepiratessmallsmall.gif?mtbrand=AOL_US

Carnival Miracle 02/13/05

Sovereign of the Seas, Cabin #4057 - 9/21/03

Brilliance of the Seas, Cabin #8670 - 11/09/2002

Paradise, Cabin E194 - 09/01/2001

Atlantic, 12/1991

I love the rays. I have more to fear while walking down the street from a pooly trained dog on a leash that the rays. My wife was a little afraid the first time we went to stingray city but she got over it right away and now she loves it. We go to Stingray City every time we go to Grand Cayman.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;3;19;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Donuts, is there anything they can't do....

My two girls were no smitten with them in Nassau, so we are making them try the excursion again in Grand Cayman. My husband and I loved them!

My daughter has a male friend that screamed through the entire stingray introduction and promptly got back on the boat. He was 18 at the time. icon_biggrin.gif I think he still has nightmares!

<MARQUEE>Are you sailing on the Mariner 7/18/04?...Click here! icon_cool.gif

or HERE! icon_wink.gif

</MARQUEE>

Disney Wonder 3/2000 ~ Disney Magic 9/2000 ~ RCI Vision 2/2001 ~ Carnival Victory 12/2001 ~ Celebrity Millennium 3/2003 ~ RCI Adventure OTS 9/2003 ~ RCI Mariner OTS 7/18/2004 ~ RCI Serenade OTS 9/26/2004

Another one who really enjoyed the stingray city thing. I hope that the only species that shrivels up and dies are the microbes that cause disease. There is so much misery caused by contageous illness that even though I know they are part of the eco system, I wish it could be some other way. Oh well, fortunately, neither of us get to make those decisions.

Work like a dog. Live like a pauper. Save all your money. Then Cruise!

My gif kitties have gone to cyber heaven so that dial up cruisers don't have a problem getting their posts read.

I am one who HATES them too.....Twice I have tried getting in the water with them in Cayman and twice I freaked out and went back to the boat..........

Something not natural about being in the water when them,when you taught how to stay away from them in Florida....

On the other hand,I LOVED snorkeling with the sharks..............go figure!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;5;30;14;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000 RCCL Serenade--5/30--Alaska

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;10;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 RCCL Jewel--10/28--repositioning

I am already having my doubts about swimming with the stingrays in Grand Cayman on our upcoming Enchantment cruise. This is my second trip to Grand Cayman, and I passed on the whole excursion the first time. I am from Florida too, and have been told to avoid the stingrays at all costs.... now I'm supposed to believe that they are completely safe? I've read, and re-read all of the glowing reviews, I just have to try. I love to snorkel .... so we have made reservations with Captain Bryan to snorkel at a couple of spots and then at Stingray Sandbar. We will be on the Hannibal, a catamaran sailboat. The way I figure, and the only thing that I've committed to, the sailboat trip and the other snorkel stops will be worth the cost of the excursion. I may, or may not, get in the water with the stingrays. To be honest, as far as the snorkeling goes I love to look at the beautiful coral and the fish but have been a little unnerved when encountering "other" creatures. (Barracudas and even the nurse sharks) I will write a short review when I get back to voice my opinion on the love/hate discussion.

Darlene

Sovereign of the Seas 5/00

Fantasy 6/00

Monarch of the Seas 10/02

Grand Princess 6/03

Sovereign of the Seas 02/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;6;26;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

6/26/04 Enchantment Graduation Celebration

<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

If I may chime in for a moment I wanted to comment on the sting rays. I went to Grand Cayman, did the Sting Ray City thing and absolutely loved it.

I noticed that some had commented about being told (when in Florida) to avoid them at all costs, thereby making it difficult to accept getting in the water w/them.

One important point to keep in mind, however, is that these sting rays are 'different' that those in other areas. While it's true they are free ranging at Sting Ray City (there is nothing to keep them there) they have been conditioned over the years of human contact so to speak. They originally started gathering there because fisherman threw their scraps there on the way back in. They grew accustomed to a free meal. Then, as it was made a touristy thing, they became used to human presence in the water, and equate it with food - bits of squid, etc. They brought their offspring there, enforcing the 'normalcy' of human presence. You could almost call them tame - you can actually hold them if you like. The tour guides give you bits of food and tell you how to offer it - by holding it under the stingray (where its mouth is) so that it can suck the food up like a vacuum hose. The only caution the guide gives is to not step on them (water at the sandbar is only about 4 feet high). Pretty easy advice to follow.

Some, as the OP mentioned do not enjoy the experience. But most do, and I found it to be one of the best parts of my cruise last year.

Just my opinion, Cindy

Sovereign of the Seas-June 2002

Voyager of the Seas-April 2003-Read My Review Here http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=408097554&m=6323075917

Mariner of the Seas-May 30, 2004!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;05;30;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500  Til we cruise on Mariner--woo hoo!

My daughter couldn't stand the sting rays. She clung to me and we stayed away from all the food, kind of off to the side of our group (a small group with Nativeway). The guides were very good and did get her to pet one but she wouldn't get out of my arms or hanging on to one of the guides.

As for me, I would enjoy it just as much watching from the boat. I doubt we will do it again, but I did expose my daughter to the experience.

04/03/05 Mariner of the Seas

Can NOT wait!

Grandeur of the Seas 04/2003

Disney Wonder 07/2002

Carnival ??? 05/1994

Nordic Empress - 1992ish

Karen

The problem i have with stingray city are all the boats and crowds. The screaming is so loud, you would think that you were at the scene of the titanic. This makes the anxious even more anxious.

Jacqueline

Constellation 3/20/04

HAL Westerdam 7/30/04

Tahitian Princess August 2003

Grand Princess Western Caribbean 2003

Brilliance of the Seas Baltic 2002

Ocean Princess- Alaska 2001

Celebrity Zenith- Bermuda 2001

Grand Princess Med 2000

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The screaming is so loud, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>ummmmmm........that would have been me.........

23_29_104.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;5;30;14;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000 RCCL Serenade--5/30--Alaska

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;10;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 RCCL Jewel--10/28--repositioning

I think that of all the things that I've read and heard (I've heard the one post here that was live from the sandbar) the one thing that got me the most was the screaming from those who were somewhat "freaked". I don't usually do well with mass hysteria, at least I don't think that I will do well with it, not having to actually deal with it before. In any case, I think that I will have time to try to get off the boat and into the water with them once everyone gets used to the whole thing. If not, I really do enjoy a good catamaran sail!

Darlene

Sovereign of the Seas 5/00

Fantasy 6/00

Monarch of the Seas 10/02

Grand Princess 6/03

Sovereign of the Seas 02/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;6;26;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

6/26/04 Enchantment Graduation Celebration

<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

My husband (who I mentioned earlier as loving the experience) was stung by a stingray in Florida at St. George Island. It was NOT a fun experience for any of us as we thought he was going to die. He was stung on his ankle right next to the big vein. We had tiny children and an infant and had to hike over the dunes to return to our home. That trip took forever as my husband was no help at all to me with the kids. He was really in a lot of pain.

My point here is...I though my husband would run when he heard the word stingray. He was a little hesitant, but agreed to the excursion and loved the experience! We are going back again in 8 weeks. icon_smile.gif

<MARQUEE>Are you sailing on the Mariner 7/18/04?...Click here! icon_cool.gif

or HERE! icon_wink.gif

</MARQUEE>

Disney Wonder 3/2000 ~ Disney Magic 9/2000 ~ RCI Vision 2/2001 ~ Carnival Victory 12/2001 ~ Celebrity Millennium 3/2003 ~ RCI Adventure OTS 9/2003 ~ RCI Mariner OTS 7/18/2004 ~ RCI Serenade OTS 9/26/2004

I was so excited to go to Grand Cayman and do this. That is until when I get in the water for five minutes and one comes up to me and gives me a big "hickey".That is what they called it anyway. Although I have never had a hickey bleed for 2 days. Needless to say after this I was back in the boat. They never informed me of this so I was a little freaked out. The only thing I can say is when you are in the water with them keep your hands above water as much as possible. They ARE very used to people but they also know that the hands is what feeds them. We did have a group of young ladies on our boat in their 70's (I am 33) and I am glad I took one for the team. I imagine it would have been really bad for their thin skin. All in all glad I did it once but will NEVER do it again.

icon_smile.gif

Loved it -- my 15 year old daughter was one of the "screamers" -- but after a little while was enchanted by it -- held the rays, and even "kissed" them.

My 7 year old son -- barged right in -- he would have taken them all home!

BTW -- the barb tail is designed to defend from sharks. the ray can stop very quickly -- not so the shark -- who then gets "skewered" (!). Can't hurt you even if stepped on.

Pete

Sadler girl, I had a similar experience so I feel your pain. I accidentally wiped my thigh after feeding them squid and one must have gotten confused and gave me a nice 3 inch hickey. I was shreiking, dancing, and trying to bat it away so it let go and resuctioned over a few inches to give me another lovely 'kiss'. Gosh that thing hurt! It was my own fault though, I felt so stupid, looked quite rediculous for the rest of the vacation, and got a lot of "Oh...so you're the stingray's girlfriend!"

We are going to be going back in 3 weeks and can't wait to take our kids on this experience, because it truly is breathtaking, whether you are in the water with them, or observing from the boat, and I want to give them this memory. But I wanted to share my story so you'd all know NOT to try to wipe the squid off icon_rolleyes.gif

liztoybiz,

Yeah scary thing is I never even had squid in my hands. Really wasn't up to feeding them. I myself am not much bigger than them. A little intimidating. Maybe he was mad because I wasn't feeding them. Sure ended up being pretty popular on the ship after this. My nickname the rest of the cruise was "squid". Lucky me I guess.

icon_smile.gif

Both my husband and my daughter enjoy snorkeling and my husband has done a little scuba . I don't care to be around a gold fish so snorkeling with fish in the water is not my thing. My daughter spent a few weeks in Australia snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef and then again at Belize along the second largest barrier reef as well as the Caribbean. She doesn't wish to repeat the Sting Ray experience.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;12;04;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

'Til my next cruise

i am 4'10. They say the water is chest deep... not for me. The waterline came up to about my eyes, which meant I was looking at their eyes when they came to the surface looking for a meal!!!

My then husband could not understand WHY I did not want to feed them??!!

It was very cool and I would do it again but maybe w/ arm floaties icon_biggrin.gif

We need a Holiday...

my travel pics

http://community.webshots.com/user/lynnemaynard

I know exactly what you are saying...I spent 1/2 the time hanging from my husband...and the other 1/2 just trying to dodge the darn things. They were just like kids...seemed to love hanging around the people who had no interested in them...me for instance. And my kids wanted them to glide by them...and they weren't going near them...they were too busy trying to creep me out!!! I'm glad I did it to say I did...but will never do it again. My family thought it was the best!

My first balcony on the Vision!!! 2/20/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=da70d6&cdt=2005;2;20;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

RCCL Majesty of the Seas - April 2004

Carnival Inspiration - June 2003

RCCL Monarch of the Seas - July 2002

Archived