Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Caribbean > Aruba

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old September 24th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Car rentals near the cruise terminal???

Does anyone know which companies have car rental offices near the cruise pier? We're thinking of renting a car in Aruba.

email me at: manycruises@gmail.com

Celebrity Reflection- January 2015
Celebrity Eclipse- August 2014
Celebrity Equinox- February 2014
Celebrity Eclipse- July, 2013
Sapphire Princess- October 2012
Golden Princess- July 2012

Golden Princess- February 2012
Star Princess- September 2011
Coral Princess- April 2011
Crown Princess- December 2010
Veendam- July 2010
Star Princess- April 2010
Eurodam- December 2009
Maasdam-July 2009
Emerald Princess- April 2009
Maasdam- August 2008
Crown Princess- March 2008
Summit- July 2007
Diamond Princess- April 2007
Westerdam- November 2006
Infinity- July 2006
Sapphire Princess- April 2006
Caribbean Princess- July 2005
Star Princess- April 2005
Century- July 2004
Mariner of the Seas- April 2004
Grand Princess- August 2003
Enchantment of the Seas- April 2003
Monarch of the Seas- April 2002
Sovereign of the Seas- April 2001

Old September 30th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

And when you answer...

Can you also direct me to one that is reliable? Most listed on Aruba's tourism site are not US companies and I don't want to be "had".

Thanks much.

NCL Norway Caribbean Aug1985 ~ NCL Dreamward Bermuda Sept1995 ~ Golden Princess Caribbean Nov2001 ~ HAL Maasdam Caribbean Apr2004 ~HAL Zuiderdam Panama Jan2010 ~ HAL Eurodam Caribbean Nov2010~ HAL Westerdam Caribbean B2B Nov2011~ HAL Eurodam Caribbean Mar2014

Old October 1st, 2009, 10:26 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by VermeulT View Post
Most listed on Aruba's tourism site are not US companies and I don't want to be "had".

Thanks much.
Just as a point of information, the "U.S. companies" are franchises they are not U.S. owned, or coporate owned companies.

We had issues with a Hertz rental a few years back and received no satisfaction while on the island. When we got in touch with Hertz U.S. they basically said there was noting they could do.

We had the same issue with Budget in Curacao. Budget told us the same thing. They do not have anything to do with the individual office, the island agency is renting ("leasing") their name.

We had a pricing issue with Avis Aruba and Avis U.S. gave us an entirely different story than Avis Aruba. The problem was eventually straightened out, but is was fixed through Avis Aruba not U.S. corporate. Corporate U.S. had no control over Avis Aruba.

Blogging to Aruba ~ Aruba Pictures ~ Cat Information

2012 Celebrity Silhouette ~ 2008 Cunard Queen Mary 2 ~ 2006 Celebrity Galaxy ~ 2005 Celebrity Galaxy ~ 2004 HAL Zaandam ~ 2003 Princess Golden Princess ~ 1998 Royal Caribbean Sovereign of the Seas ~ 1996 Majesty Cruise Line Norwegian Majesty ~ 1989 Royal Caribbean Song of Norway ~ 1988 Chandris Fantasy Britanis ~ 1986 Chandris Fantasy Galileo ~ 1985 Costa CostaRiviera ~ 1984 NCL Starward ~ 1983 Carnival Carnivale

Old October 10th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by many cruises View Post
Does anyone know which companies have car rental offices near the cruise pier? We're thinking of renting a car in Aruba.
We rented a car a few years ago and there was not an agency @ the port. DH took a public bus to the rental pickup location. We were told to leave the car in a parking lot behind Carlos & Charlie's at the end of the day. Carlos & Charlie's is very near the dock. I was not very comfortable with that scenario, but it all worked out okay.

Since Aruba is such a popular cruiseship stop, this might have changed by now.

Renting a car is a great option. Aruba is a small island, and you can see everything of interest in a day with your own car.

Old October 20th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Helps to be a native sometimes

In 1993 when I was there on the Rotterdam V, the Hertz rental at the airport sent a van to get us at the cruiseport. At that time there was a two day rental requirement (to discourage rentals to cruisers), but since the cars were so cheap, I didn't care if I paid for 2 days and only used it one. When I got to the airport and they realized I had been born in Aruba, they waived the two day requirement but gave me a car I suppose they would rent to a local rather than a tourist. It was a small Toyota Corona, no air, and 4 speed manual transmission. That was fine by me, I drive a 5 speed anyway, and you really don't need air conditioning in Aruba either. I am going to try to do the same arrangement this time, even if I have to get a cab to the airport to get the car. I may have been born there, but I had only lived there 8 months before my American parents returned to the states after working at the refinery there.
Volendam, Southern Carribean, February 2002
Maasdam, Southern Carribean/Panama Canal, November 6, 2009

Old October 27th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

We were a group of 3 moms, when we did our Aruba off-roading. After doing much research, we decided to wing it in regards to the rental, with the idea that if we didn't like what was there, we had time to do something else.

We docked around 8am, off onto the dock at 9am and asked the first official we saw where the car rentals were. There were several to choose from, none we had ever heard of before, and we picked one called "Top Ride." Business was conducted out of a shack by the side of the road, but it was fine. They took an imprint of my credit card, to avoid the 7% extra cc fee, but gave the whole sheet back to me later when I had returned the jeep and paid in cash. We paid $80 US for 8 hours (return time was 5 pm).

Not your luxury car by any stretch - soft top jeep, no windows (but door locks - go figure ), and strictly stick shift, but 4-wheel drive, which we wanted for off roading. You could taxi out to the airport for a rental, but I was told to reserve quite a bit ahead if you do that.

Hope this helps!
Carnival Victory
- Jan. 2010 (just me and DH) http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1149436
Carnival Legend - July 2009 (family cruise) http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1032099
RCCL Adventure of the Seas - Mar/April 2009 (just moms-in need of time off!)

Old November 3rd, 2009, 10:51 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hi, Do you know the name of the renatl agency?
Kind Regards,
Karen