Spirit 15 Days~Hawaii: A Review

halos

Good review

the positive things for future/soon Spirit (Alaska) cruisers for myself that I found were

Spirit food is really mostly good

Spirit staff seems to be very good

Now...the entertainment on a 7 night Alaska cruise maybe won't matter as much.....we have a LOT of sightseeing to do ....and we will have a naturalist on board, lectures, "Alaska" stuff ....plus watching the scenery some days

I don't expect to be up on the uncovered Lido too much ....so lack of bands is fine....as a Floridian I do plan to be inside when/if needed or in the dome pool area

~~~~~~

Questions :

how was the new Serenity deck?

Was ship in good shape after her drydock??

Do they have a "cover band"?

thanks

Stu, you looking to book the Epic too?

What a cruise this could turn into ...:D

Way to early but possible.

We usually cruise the first week of October and will be doing our first NCL Feb 2013 so if the stars align themselves properly definitely a possibility

By any chance would you be referring to like the first week of October 2013 on Epic?

Typically, when our group cruises in the fall, we do last week of Oct or first week of Nov...although it's not set in stone.

~~~~~~

Questions :

how was the new Serenity deck?

It was heaven. I kinda wish they'd make a ship where the entire outdoor areas were like that.

Was ship in good shape after her drydock??

The upgrades were there...and I wouldn't have noticed stuff that was 'not right' unless my observant-about-these-kinds-of-things DH hadn't pointed them out. It seems they did spend a lot of time (and money I'm sure) with the slide, the serenity area...and that was awesome, but basic maintenence things were left in ill repair. Like I said, I wouldn't have even noticed, but my husband did. He said, "Wasn't this ship just in dry dock??" and then proceded to show me things that bothered him....(like plastic drainage-thingies around the pool that were sticking up, dirty and bent out of shape) I am sure no one else notices this stuff so I just nodded my head and told him, "Don't worry. It's not our house. You don't have to be concerned." LOL!!

Do they have a "cover band"?

thanks

There was a band that played in one of the lounges and they drew a big crowd. This ship was full of passengers that were ready to party...despite them not being 20-somethings ;) Unfortunately CCL missed the mark. They should have seen the loung packed, with people literally sitting in the hall area outside the lounge to listen to the band and taken the band to a larger venue to accomodate everyone. We were starved for a party...and CCL could have given it to us but didn't take the time to note the issue and make a slight change....sad.

Awesome pictures!! Thanks for your reviews.. I can't wait to get there..

Do you have something booked? If so, you will have a great time!

We usually cruise the first week of October and will be doing our first NCL Feb 2013 so if the stars align themselves properly definitely a possibility

Which Ship, Stu?

Great review. Love the honesty.

You're welcome :)

Edited by halos

I just took a peek. Epic is in Europe in Oct 2013, but will start it's Eastern Caribbean Run on Nov 2.

Typically, when our group cruises in the fall, we do last week of Oct or first week of Nov...although it's not set in stone.

:)

I just took a peek. Epic is in Europe in Oct 2013, but will start it's Eastern Caribbean Run on Nov 2.

The first or second run once back in Miami would probably work for us. I just don't want to sail during Thanksgiving week or have to fly home close to it:eek::D:D

Epic is such a cool ship, let's try to make this work!

BTW, sorry that your wonderful review is being used for planning purposes but since you are involved, I guess it is OK. LOL!!!!

The first or second run once back in Miami would probably work for us. I just don't want to sail during Thanksgiving week or have to fly home close to it:eek::D:D

Epic is such a cool ship, let's try to make this work!

BTW, sorry that your wonderful review is being used for planning purposes but since you are involved, I guess it is OK. LOL!!!!

I agree about Thanksgiving...I like the Nov 2nd sailing!! Yes, Let's try to make this work!!! :)

Pearl first week of February 2013

She is SO on my bucket list. You chose well!!

Do you have something booked? If so, you will have a great time!

Yep.. Next October we sail to Hawaii.. :D

Thanks for your replies

I am not sure if I will be able to stand the cold but I will try to spend some time on Serenity deck, watching the scenery

I am also looking forward to the hot tub in the gym, a feature I love on Glory that used to be found on other ships but was removed

Good food and good service...sounds good. I love the cover bands and hope to check them out

Angel,

I was on this very unusual cruise as well. I sailed over to Hawaii, flew back, on Spirit in April of 2007. After a very rough 1st night, and most of 1st sea day, we smoothed out beautifully. Hardly knew we were sailing the rest of the way to Hawaii. So, I was definately not expecting the kind of weather we had, for sure. Still, it was such a fun and terrific cruise. Met so many great and friendly people. We were at the table next to yours, with Val and her sister Carol, Mary, Dennis and Lynn, my dear friend Linda, and Don and I. We were the couple celebrating our 50th anniversary on board. The Captain renewed our vows, and I must say that Carnival did an outstanding job with the ceremony. Loved it.

I agree wholeheartedly with your review, and loved your pictures. Don and I, and Linda also did the helicopter tour with Safari on Kauai. Linda had never been in a copter before, and was more than a bit nervous. Once in the air, she loved it. Said it was the highlight of the whole trip. In 2007 Don and I did a small plane tour over Kauai. The helicopter beat that one, by a landslide. All the different colors of the Grand Canyon of the Pacific, and the beauty of the coastline, was unbelievable. I can't recommend Safari enough.

By the way, we saw a rainbow, in 2007, that formed a complete circle. I also had never seen such a thing. Guess what we were told they are called? Come on, guess. A Halo Rainbow. lol. Alas, we didn't get to experience one this time. The cruise did indeed, end much too soon. Like you, I'm afraid our next tiny 7 day one, just will not do it.

This review has started my bugging dh to go on a Hawaii cruise for our 30th anniversary, which is next year. We honeymooned in Hawaii in '83 - spending 4 nights in Oahu, 3 in Kaui, and 3 in Maui. For years I have told him I wanted to go back on our 30th! We also did a helicopter tour in Kaui - used Jack Harter. Yesterday I went online, googled him, and he is still around! What made his tour "unusual" is he was the only tour operator allowed to land during the tour - amazing views! I have really enjoyed this review, and thank you again for providing a push to celebrate (if it works into our schedules - may have to wait until I retire in 2014) our lives together in a big way!:)

The cruise was wonderful. Looked forward to dinner every night. thanks for letting us take part in your celebration. My one regret is not doing that helicopter ride in Kauai.

Halo once again thanks for a great review. Have to agree with you on most everything.

Val.

Angel,

I was on this very unusual cruise as well. I sailed over to Hawaii, flew back, on Spirit in April of 2007. After a very rough 1st night, and most of 1st sea day, we smoothed out beautifully. Hardly knew we were sailing the rest of the way to Hawaii. So, I was definately not expecting the kind of weather we had, for sure. Still, it was such a fun and terrific cruise. Met so many great and friendly people. We were at the table next to yours, with Val and her sister Carol, Mary, Dennis and Lynn, my dear friend Linda, and Don and I. We were the couple celebrating our 50th anniversary on board. The Captain renewed our vows, and I must say that Carnival did an outstanding job with the ceremony. Loved it.

I agree wholeheartedly with your review, and loved your pictures. Don and I, and Linda also did the helicopter tour with Safari on Kauai. Linda had never been in a copter before, and was more than a bit nervous. Once in the air, she loved it. Said it was the highlight of the whole trip. In 2007 Don and I did a small plane tour over Kauai. The helicopter beat that one, by a landslide. All the different colors of the Grand Canyon of the Pacific, and the beauty of the coastline, was unbelievable. I can't recommend Safari enough.

By the way, we saw a rainbow, in 2007, that formed a complete circle. I also had never seen such a thing. Guess what we were told they are called? Come on, guess. A Halo Rainbow. lol. Alas, we didn't get to experience one this time. The cruise did indeed, end much too soon. Like you, I'm afraid our next tiny 7 day one, just will not do it.

I can't imagine anyone on the ship had a bad time. Oh...we never thanked you for sharing your anniversary cake with us. It was fabulous!! Congratulations on 50 years!! My DH and I are going to celebrate our 30th this year (on a cruise, of course!!) Once this cruising thing gets in your blood, you're just toast LOL!!

This review has started my bugging dh to go on a Hawaii cruise for our 30th anniversary, which is next year. !:)

I hope you can convince him. It was so awesome. Again, 15 days FLEW by. My husband and I still keep talking about that. I really thought with all the sea days it would drag a bit. Considering we had less than stellar weather and less of what we enjoy while relaxing out on the lido (music-wise) and it STILL zoomed by, that is remarkable.

I would recommend this cruise to anyone (well anyone who loves sea days).

I really enjoy being on a ship...have I mentioned that before?? LOL :D

The cruise was wonderful. Looked forward to dinner every night. thanks for letting us take part in your celebration. My one regret is not doing that helicopter ride in Kauai.

Halo once again thanks for a great review. Have to agree with you on most everything.

Val.

Well, you'll just have to go again and get on that helicopter!! :D

We were at the table next to yours, with Val and her sister Carol, Mary, Dennis and Lynn, my dear friend Linda, and Don and I. We were the couple celebrating our 50th anniversary on board. The Captain renewed our vows, and I must say that Carnival did an outstanding job with the ceremony. Loved it.

By the way, we saw a rainbow, in 2007, that formed a complete circle. I also had never seen such a thing. Guess what we were told they are called? Come on, guess. A Halo Rainbow. lol.

It was a treat having such a great table Cheryl and sharing in your celebration. Say Hi to Linda. I miss our chats.

Love the HALO Rainbow.

Angel, thank you for taking the time to do such an awesome review. I ran into your BIL several times at Trivia. He did well getting two ships on a stick

Hi Val and Mary,

I miss seeing you both, each evening. I also miss all the great service from Robin, and Peeta. lol

Angel, glad you enjoyed the cake. It was very good, and I was more than happy to share.

Halo thank you sooooooooooo much for the review, I've been eyeballing the 15 day Hawaii for a while, it's nice to get a fair, realistic perspective from someone you trust!!

I've been thinking of maybe doing Celebrity or Princess because of the amount of time on the ship, it's good to know Carnival delivered a pretty good product!!

Thanks for the pictures too, they were awesome.

Carole

It was a treat having such a great table Cheryl and sharing in your celebration. Say Hi to Linda. I miss our chats.

Love the HALO Rainbow.

Angel, thank you for taking the time to do such an awesome review. I ran into your BIL several times at Trivia. He did well getting two ships on a stick

Hello, Maryann.

Two? Two? I came home with five of the buggers. :D

I'm actually disappointed not to have snagged a few more. Must have been all that vodka I was drinking...:rolleyes:

Edited by rybreadsmom

How about this? We use it as a traveling trophy for nascar fantasy league

232323232%7Ffp733%3B5%3Enu%3D3283%3E957%3E2%3A9%3EWSNRCG%3D35%3B57298%3B632%3Bnu0mrj

Classy. I like it. :D

Funny that you have the three wise monkeys in your signature. My wife won the Mixology comp on this cruise and her drink was called '3 monkeys'. When asked to explain the name, she said "Because if you drink too many you will hear no evil, see no evil or speak no evil."

. My wife won the Mixology comp on this cruise and her drink was called '3 monkeys'. When asked to explain the name, she said "Because if you drink too many you will hear no evil, see no evil or speak no evil."

It was brilliant!

Halo thank you sooooooooooo much for the review, I've been eyeballing the 15 day Hawaii for a while, it's nice to get a fair, realistic perspective from someone you trust!!

I've been thinking of maybe doing Celebrity or Princess because of the amount of time on the ship, it's good to know Carnival delivered a pretty good product!!

Thanks for the pictures too, they were awesome.

Carole

You're welcome :)

Edited by halos