resort day passes

Lannybird12587

My husband and I are leaving for our 1 year anniversary cruise on the Serenade in December and are doing our first Southern Caribbean itinerary. We were thinking about getting a day pass to the Sandals Grande in Antigua which they say is located right on Dickenson's Bay. Was wondering if anyone has done this before and if it was worth the money. They told us it would be $110/person for 10am to 6pm all the amenities included except a room. The catch is you can not pre-purchase these passes you must wait until you get to the resort. Debating if this is worth it or should we just venture out on our own, go to a local beach in Antigua, and hope there are restaurants and bars there we can enjoy. Any feedback is greatly appreciate!

Here is another Resort Day Pass option: The Verandah Resort - Here are the highlights: 9:30am to 6pm - $95/pp. Includes: Meals, drinks, kayaking, sunfish, catamaran, paddle boarding, pedal boat, mini golf, Tennis, pool, ping pong, shuffle board. 1/2 hr. cab ride from cruise port. Arrange for return pickup ahead of time. Enjoy !

we did jolly beach resort day pass- its 75$ all meals drinks beach pool nonmoterized water sports. we loved it. it was so relaxing. not at all crowded. it was like we had our own private beach. the next couple was over 30 yards away and it was like that all the way down the beach. food was good and so were the drinks. there are 2 pool, one with a swim up bar. we took 38 other people from the cruise with us and they all loved it

• 4 weeks later...
My husband and I are leaving for our 1 year anniversary cruise on the Serenade in December and are doing our first Southern Caribbean itinerary. We were thinking about getting a day pass to the Sandals Grande in Antigua which they say is located right on Dickenson's Bay. Was wondering if anyone has done this before and if it was worth the money. They told us it would be $110/person for 10am to 6pm all the amenities included except a room. The catch is you can not pre-purchase these passes you must wait until you get to the resort. Debating if this is worth it or should we just venture out on our own, go to a local beach in Antigua, and hope there are restaurants and bars there we can enjoy. Any feedback is greatly appreciate!

Hi, We wanted to experience Sandals and I wanted to know if the services they offered were worth the higher cost for a regular vacation, So this was a great way to get a sampler of Sandals without laying out thousands of dollars on a week's vacation.

The resort is beautiful, very nicely laid out, but I wasn't really impressed with the staff. Not very friendly, a bit aloof. There were no loungers available at the pool and if you wanted a drink you had to go to the bar yourself, no waiters offering to get you a drink. The food included is lunch only, we went to the buffet, it was ok, nothing exciting, pastas, salads etc. Other food options were Pizza, burgers etc. We are going back to Antigua in January but we won't go back to Sandals, just didn't live up to what you see advertised on TV. Maybe the service gets better in the evening for the hotel guests, I don't know. Just didn't live up to what I expected.

Edited by scouseronline
Spelling error

Hi there. I will offer you another option and it's the least expensive so far. We just returned from a Southern and did a day pass at Halcyon Cove Resort by Rex resorts. The day pass info is not on the website; we e-mailed back and forth and got a rate of $60.00 per person, unlimited drinks and BBQ buffet lunch included. The cab fare using an authorized taxi from the dispatcher was $12.00 one way (not per person).

We had a great day! The beach is stunning and the food and drinks were wonderful. The resort is a little tired, not going to lie... but at that price we were absolutely thrilled and we definitely got our money's worth.

No pre-purchase - check in at reception and pay when you get there using cash or credit card. We like it better that way as you never know what could happen... the best laid plans and all. ;):)

Go early in the day, as the beach is for registered guests and when we got there around 9:45 am, all but one of the large beach palapas were taken.

http://www.rexresorts.com/antigua/antigua-resort-halcyon-cove-by-rex-resorts.html

Edited by Langley Cruisers

Hi there. I will offer you another option and it's the least expensive so far. We just returned from a Southern and did a day pass at Halcyon Cove Resort by Rex resorts. The day pass info is not on the website; we e-mailed back and forth and got a rate of $60.00 per person, unlimited drinks and BBQ buffet lunch included. The cab fare using an authorized taxi from the dispatcher was $12.00 one way (not per person).

We had a great day! The beach is stunning and the food and drinks were wonderful. The resort is a little tired, not going to lie... but at that price we were absolutely thrilled and we definitely got our money's worth.

No pre-purchase - check in at reception and pay when you get there using cash or credit card. We like it better that way as you never know what could happen... the best laid plans and all. ;):)

Go early in the day, as the beach is for registered guests and when we got there around 9:45 am, all but one of the large beach palapas were taken.

http://www.rexresorts.com/antigua/antigua-resort-halcyon-cove-by-rex-resorts.html

Hi Karen..... We will be in Antigua on 12/31/15 Serenade of the Seas:) We are looking for a AI resort that is quiet and small with beautiful calm water and soft white sand. With that said; would you still recommend this resort? Do you have any pictures?

Gladys

^ Yes, I would recommend the resort. I thought I was clear in my comments, but I guess not so much. It was a phenomenal day. No seaweed, very clean sandy beach. :) It looks exactly like the picture in the link I attached earlier; the beach looks like that, and the building in the background to the right is part of the hotel.

This is exactly what we were planning to do. Is the rate you got a normal rate, or is it one that you have to negotiate beforehand?

Also, the "Dispatched Taxi" - is that a standard taxi at the terminal, or one sent from the resort?

Thanks!

This is exactly what we were planning to do. Is the rate you got a normal rate, or is it one that you have to negotiate beforehand? Also, the "Dispatched Taxi" - is that a standard taxi at the terminal, or one sent from the resort?

We did not negotiate the rate; my husband was in e-mail contact with them several times, discussing the amenities and all that the rate included. We did not have to pay beforehand and they only asked we give them 48 hours notice, which we were able to do with the free WiFi we got in port two days prior.

The "dispatched taxi" - yes, sorry - what I mean by that is when you walk off the ship and onto the pier, keep walking and you will see a sign saying "Taxi Dispatcher" and the drivers standing around in orange shirts. Walk straight to the dispatcher in his booth, tell him where you want to go, and he will give you the price in front of a driver so there is no discrepancy. We were thrilled that it was only going to be $12.00 each way - we had budgeted $20.00, so this was a pleasant surprise. Other cab drivers outside the area are not associated with this dispatcher, so if you find one on your own, it could be a bit of a crap shoot, if you know what I mean. :p

Enjoy your day! We had a great time.

• 4 weeks later...

We will be in Antigua via Serenade of the Seas. We have a confirmed reservation for 12/31/15. The cost is $40pp. I contacted them originally through Facebook and finalized everything by email. I am so looking forward to spending New Year Eve at this resort.

Merry Christmas!

Gladys

We will be in Antigua via Serenade of the Seas. We have a confirmed reservation for 12/31/15. The cost is $40pp. I contacted them originally through Facebook and finalized everything by email. I am so looking forward to spending New Year Eve at this resort.

Merry Christmas!

Gladys

where are you going?

Merry Christmas!

Gladys

Is this price for the all inclusive?

• 2 weeks later...

Merry Christmas!

Gladys

We are a group of 9 people with 4 kids ages 2 - 13 years old. Is this a kid friendly resort? Also, is there snorkeling off the beach? Do you know if they have a different rate for kids? Thanks.

we did jolly beach resort day pass- its 75$ all meals drinks beach pool nonmoterized water sports. we loved it. it was so relaxing. not at all crowded. it was like we had our own private beach. the next couple was over 30 yards away and it was like that all the way down the beach. food was good and so were the drinks. there are 2 pool, one with a swim up bar. we took 38 other people from the cruise with us and they all loved it

Sounds great! Did they have stand-up paddle boards available? That is our new favorite water sport! 😄 Also, how much was the cab fare?

We visited Halcyon Cove Resort on December 31, 2015. The cost of the day pass was $40pp. We communicated via Facebook and finalized our reservation via email. The cost of the cab was $12 one way and we went to the dispatcher booth (men with orange shirts) to get our cab. The same cab driver came back to pick us up.

On our way to the resort our cab driver was telling us about the 365 beautiful public beaches in Antigua. He said all the beaches are public including the ones the resorts use. He stated we are allowed to go to any beach but just not allowed to use the amenities of the resorts. He also tried to discourage us from purchasing a day pass. He said we could rent chairs and by food from the many business on the beach and would save money. He said he only recommend day passes for those who desire to consume plenty of alcohol. He went on to let us know that he use to work at Halcyon before coming a taxi driver. He told us that the resort has changed since he was there for being good to bad. He said the ownership changed and the new ownership is not maintaining their share of the public beach area. The resort is currently between ownership because of a lawsuit the government have against the 2nd owners. He said hopefully when everything is settled the resort will clean up and maintain their portion of the public beach.

We arrived at the resort between 9:30 and 10am. The staff was very polite at check in. We paid with cash and they put a green band on our arms and asked if we needed towels. I believe they change the band color every day for day passes. When we arrived to the beach the water was blue, beautiful and calm; however the chairs where thrown all over the place and in bad shape. The tables around the palapas where broken with rocks holding them down. The palapas had some distance between them which gave you some private space. The beach area had rocks all over the place and in some places large piles of rocks. The beach area was really neglected.

There was a small bar area that open at 10am that served drinks in small plastic cups. I don't drink alcohol so I can not comment on that but they non-alcoholic drinks was good.

There was an outdoor buffet restaurant area that served lunch starting at 12 noon. They had fish, hamburgers, hot dogs, various types of salad, french fries and cake for dessert. Waitress walked around asking for drink orders. The area was clean and the food was just ok but the service was excellent. They did have a lot of birds flying around that would steal food off your plate if you was not looking.

They had a small pool that was clean looking with chairs, however I did not see any umbrellas.

The bathrooms where large and kept very clean. I saw cruisers using the restroom who had no bands on their arms. I could tell they where from the ship because of their towels;).

They had free WI-fi and no password was needed. The speed was not so bad!

This was our third time in Antigua, the first time we purchased a day pass at Coconut Beach resort for $45pp and that was awesome (they where closed for renovations). The second time we rented chairs and umbrella on the same strip of beach and had a good time; however the area we was sitting had lots of motorized water sports. I think we paid about $25 for 2 chairs and umbrella. We purchased 2 drinks (non alcoholic) and had brought our own water and snacks. We shared a cab with another couple so we paid $12 round trip.

Overall DH and I had an enjoyable time:); however next time in Antigua we will take the cab drivers advice and go to one of the beaches and rent chairs and umbrellas, but next time we will set up in an area that is not near the water sport rental place.

Looking forward to our next visit to Antigua on December 27, 2016 on the Grandeur of the Seas!:D

Gladys

We are a group of 9 people with 4 kids ages 2 - 13 years old. Is this a kid friendly resort? Also, is there snorkeling off the beach? Do you know if they have a different rate for kids? Thanks.

We only saw a family with about 4 boys around the ages of 7,8 or 9 and they seem to be having fun. With all the rocks I would not trust my little one crawling or walking around. I did not see any snorkeling or any place that was good for snorkeling. I don't know if they have a different rate for children, they just quoted me $40pp but that was for two adults. I communicated with them through messenger on Facebook.

Gladys