Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Digital Photography & Cruise Technology > Cruising Technology

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old July 14th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Keep Go

Has anyone heard of keepgo? They will rent you a mobile hotspot and a sim card that will work on certain cruise ships (they have a list on their site). Presumably, it will connect to the ships service and create a hotspot for you. You can then use the same device in port. (I am thinking about mediterranean itinerary).

Does this work? It appears to be a much cheaper alternative to either a ships internet package or using your US based verizon subscription to roam.
RCI Radiance of the Seas 12/06 Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, Costa Maya
Carnival Liberty 4/07 Costa Maya, Limon, Colon
Carnival Imagination 1/08 btb 1/08 Key West, Cozumel, Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, Nassau
Carnival Valor 8/08 Grand Cayman, Belize, Roatan
Carnival Glory 6/10 St. John, NB
Carnival Miracle 12/10 Grand Turk, La Romana, Aruba, Curacao
Carnival Glory 9/11 St. John, NB

Old July 14th, 2013, 12:46 PM
5,000+ Club

Location: The interior of BC about 4 hrs north of Vancouver . In the dry part of the Province

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpepr View Post
Has anyone heard of keepgo? They will rent you a mobile hotspot and a sim card that will work on certain cruise ships (they have a list on their site). Presumably, it will connect to the ships service and create a hotspot for you. You can then use the same device in port. (I am thinking about mediterranean itinerary).

Does this work? It appears to be a much cheaper alternative to either a ships internet package or using your US based verizon subscription to roam.
Sounds to good to be true . Someone has to pay the connection charges.
Probably will be you thru the rental charge . Are you going to use 100 MB of data for $5.99 . For a 7 day cruise that works out to $42 plus $55 (delivery charge ). That is equivalent to 120 minutes of pay as you go on board or about 150 minute package on board.
Caribbean Jan 2008 , November 2011
Alaska Aug 2008 , May 2010 , June 2013
Pacific Coastal May 2010
Mexican Riviera January 2011
Hawaii April 2012 , Feb 2013
California Coastal Crown Sept 2014
Princess 11x HAL 3x RCI 2x
Future
Pacific Coastal January 19 to 30 ,2015

Alaska Sampler May 2 to 6,2015

Alaska Northbound July 11 to 18 ,2015

Alaska Southbound July 18 to 25 ,2015

Old August 13th, 2013, 03:38 AM
Cool Cruiser

Well...I gave it a try. Used it in a verizon mifi global capable device. Worked flawlessly in all the countries. On the ship it sort of worked. It seemed to go in and out of service, losing connction frequently, but it did work enough to avoid paying for a ship internet plan.
Carnival Imagination 1/08 btb 1/08 Key West, Cozumel, Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, Nassau

Old September 6th, 2013, 09:21 AM
Cool Cruiser

Cool Thanks for the follow up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpepr View Post
Well...I gave it a try. Used it in a verizon mifi global capable device. Worked flawlessly in all the countries. On the ship it sort of worked. It seemed to go in and out of service, losing connction frequently, but it did work enough to avoid paying for a ship internet plan.
I'm going to try this on my next trip with my phone. I don't expect much on the ship but it will be nice to just use my phone in port like I use it at home.

Old January 9th, 2014, 02:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Just a quick follow up, I'm on the Pride this week and my keepgo SIM did NOT work on the ship. After contacting customer support, they informed me that they were having technical difficulties with no resolution for connecting at sea. They did give me a partial refund when I asked for one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4

Old May 21st, 2014, 02:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Question Voice & Data plan

Hello, has anybody else tried this company? I wanted to get the voice & data sim plan they have but a little confuse on how it works. Can anyone explain? Please advise. Thanks.

Old May 28th, 2014, 10:34 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Keepgo: great on land, sucked at sea

I just used Keepgo on my cruise aboard Royal Caribbean’s Liberty of the Seas last week (May 2014). We departed Barcelona and made two stops in France and three stops in Italy. I signed up for Keepgo’s unlimited plan for these countries plus selected the Cruise Ship option too. (The Liberty was listed as a ship where this plan would work.) I wasn’t sure how this would work but I decided to try it anyway.

First of all, let me note that the service in the three countries was perfect. I never had any issues and it worked as expected. I have a Nexus 4 phone and speed was consistent with what I get in Toronto, Canada on the Bell network.
Once the ship sailed we were often within a certain distance of the shore and I maintained a weak signal to those networks. Eventually the signal switched over to Cellular at Sea where I always had full strength 5 bars signal. But I was usually asleep when at sea so I didn't really "need it" too much.

The trouble is that network was pretty unreliable. I want to believe it worked sometimes but I didn’t keep track of what worked, when and how well. Despite the appearance of a strong Cellular at Sea signal, it was like being in a rural area where cell signal is weak or non-existent. While I was able to use Skype to make phone calls while on the land networks, Skype did not work on the Cellular at Sea and this was the reason I chose the Cruise Ship option as we would be calling home around midnight local time to catch family back home.

The only app that seemed to work while on Cellular at Sea was the GPS locator in Google Maps. I was curious to see where we were and as bizarre at it sounds my GPS thought I was someplace near Cuba. I joked that it felt like something you would see on the tv show Lost.

Here is a screen shot from my Google Location History: the red line indicates Google thinks I am travelling between France and Cuba on this day.

In conclusion, I would say Keepgo was great for land but sucked at sea.

Last edited by marriedinva; May 28th, 2014 at 10:35 AM.

Old May 28th, 2014, 12:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by marriedinva View Post
I just used Keepgo on my cruise aboard Royal Caribbean’s Liberty of the Seas last week (May 2014). We departed Barcelona and made two stops in France and three stops in Italy. I signed up for Keepgo’s unlimited plan for these countries plus selected the Cruise Ship option too. (The Liberty was listed as a ship where this plan would work.) I wasn’t sure how this would work but I decided to try it anyway.

First of all, let me note that the service in the three countries was perfect. I never had any issues and it worked as expected. I have a Nexus 4 phone and speed was consistent with what I get in Toronto, Canada on the Bell network.
Once the ship sailed we were often within a certain distance of the shore and I maintained a weak signal to those networks. Eventually the signal switched over to Cellular at Sea where I always had full strength 5 bars signal. But I was usually asleep when at sea so I didn't really "need it" too much.

The trouble is that network was pretty unreliable. I want to believe it worked sometimes but I didn’t keep track of what worked, when and how well. Despite the appearance of a strong Cellular at Sea signal, it was like being in a rural area where cell signal is weak or non-existent. While I was able to use Skype to make phone calls while on the land networks, Skype did not work on the Cellular at Sea and this was the reason I chose the Cruise Ship option as we would be calling home around midnight local time to catch family back home.

The only app that seemed to work while on Cellular at Sea was the GPS locator in Google Maps. I was curious to see where we were and as bizarre at it sounds my GPS thought I was someplace near Cuba. I joked that it felt like something you would see on the tv show Lost.

Here is a screen shot from my Google Location History: the red line indicates Google thinks I am travelling between France and Cuba on this day.

In conclusion, I would say Keepgo was great for land but sucked at sea.
Hi, thanks for the review, Did you try making phone calls from the ship? How was the audio and phone quality though while you're on the ship? Please advise. Thanks. Ed

Old May 28th, 2014, 01:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs down No more cruise ship!

FYI! I sent an email to them confirming which cruise ships they cover and also I noticed on their website, the cruise ship destination option is no longer an option and so I asked them about it too and I just got a response and I quote

Quote:
Thank you for contacting KeepGo Customer Service.

Unfortunately, we are no longer offering our services on Cruise Ships. The FAQ'S would be updated soon as possible. We apologize any inconvenience caused in this regard.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you for considering KeepGo.

Best Regards,
Robert Snyder
KeepGo Customer Service
e-mail: support@keepgo.com
Toll Free: 1-800-355-1118
www.keepgo.com
That's a bummer.

Old May 29th, 2014, 01:29 AM
Cool Cruiser

Wow...thanks for posting. They must have had problems with the cruiseship service. As I posted earlier in this thread and someone just confirmed the service was quite limited at sea.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app