Changing total coverage after purchase?

39august

Today my TA arranged for CSA to reimburse the difference in premium pp coverage purhased 9 days ago and the total pp coverage premium which resulted from a drop in cruise fare. I did not know that this was possible! The original coverage was up to $2500 pp. Now it is up to $2000 pp. Has anyone else been able to change coverage after insurance purchase?

Today my TA arranged for CSA to reimburse the difference in premium pp coverage purhased 9 days ago and the total pp coverage premium which resulted from a drop in cruise fare. I did not know that this was possible! The original coverage was up to $2500 pp. Now it is up to $2000 pp. Has anyone else been able to change coverage after insurance purchase?

It's available to clients of every third-party insurer I'm aware of but many forget to make the change. Some insurers are a little looser about this and don't require any supporting documentation. But don't be surprised if the insurer asks for copies of your old confirmation/invoice and your new one showing the drop in the fare along with a note authorizing the reduction in coverage so there's no question later on just how much cancellation coverage you wanted.

Is there a time frame for decreasing coverage? So, can you increase coverage as well? This info is really good to know.

Yes, you can increase your coverage at any time -- insurers love to take in more money especially when their odds of having to pay a claim go down the closer you get to the departure date.

As long as you can properly document a fare decrease I don't believe most of the insurers have a problem with doing it right up to the last minute. There might be exceptions so check with your insurer before you buy your policy if you think you might be getting some late fare decreases.

I once had some clients using CSA and just a few days before departure they got an offer from Princess to move to the following week and they got a 50% reduction in the fare as an incentive. CSA had no problem moving the coverage to the new sailing and refunding to them the difference in the fare.

Archived