Does Tipping the Porter Help??

I am planning on taking a "rolling cooler" with soda, water, and some beer hidden within the center of the soda box. We are sailing on the Explorer of the Seas in August.

As suggested, I plan on putting a luggage tag on the cooler and handing it off to the porter. Is there any benefit to tipping the porter well? Will this make it easier for them to overlook the contents?

If so, how much would you recommend on tipping?

Also, how many have been successful taking beer. I would love to just bring a 12 pack or a case, but that might be pushing it.

The porter has nothing to do with what's allowed on the ship....he simply takes your bags TO the ship...then ship's employees do their thing....scan and such.

Yes, it's customary to tip the porter $1-2 per bag, but it won't help you get contraband onto the ship!

Tipping will not help with contraband nor does it seem to make any difference in speed of bags to ship and room. In most locations, it seems they just toss, and I do mean toss, the bags into a luggage cage that is then taken by forklift to the scanners once it is full. Once scanned it is back in the cage and to the ship.

The Porter moves a bag 2ft from your car to a cart and then it goes to someone else and from there to the ship. Extra tipping not necessary. Porters are very highly paid union members making more than many of the passangers. In fact many ports actually have signs up saying do not tip the porters. As was said it is customary to give a buck or so per bag. Anymore will not quarantee any better service or that anyone will look the other way to what you may bring onboard. The porters could care less what you are trying bring on board.

it helps if you tip the porter this will ensure your bags are properly tagged. We got carried away walked off without tipping him and one of our bags did not make it to our room. It was untagged and was difficult to find in the baggage area of the ship.

I've been on 20 cruises and have placed my liquor in my checked luggage and never had it confiscated. The porters at the pier have very little to do with it. Taking a rolling cooler is a fine way tto tip off that your attempting to bring alcohol on board. Though some cruise lines have stricter alcohol policies its still more convenient to put your liquor in your checked luggage. This also works for the beer. If your taking liquor bottles roll them in bubble wrap and put them in a one or two gallon zip lock and then put them in your checked luggage.

jcruise

The Porter moves a bag 2ft from your car to a cart and then it goes to someone else and from there to the ship. Extra tipping not necessary. Porters are very highly paid union members making more than many of the passangers. In fact many ports actually have signs up saying do not tip the porters. As was said it is customary to give a buck or so per bag. Anymore will not quarantee any better service or that anyone will look the other way to what you may bring onboard. The porters could care less what you are trying bring on board.

According to the Port Everglades administration, in 2007 the average worker at the Port made $35,540.

http://www.porteverglades.net/includes/media/docs/commerce-report-2007.pdf

We don't have a state income tax in TN, but I still don't think $35,540 falls into the category of "highly paid". I don't ask waitresses or waiters how much they're paid before I tip them, why would I do this to a baggage porter? It's a personal service.

Roz

Carnival doesn't allow large rolling coolers---period!!!! Look at the website and this is what you will see:

Large cooler restrictions:

Carnival Cruise Lines does not allow guests to bring large coolers on board its ships. However small, personal-sized coolers, no larger than 12” x 12” x 12” for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage. Screening and movement of large coolers through embarkation is an impediment to the boarding and security screening process. Therefore, large coolers are not permitted as carry-on or checked luggage.

Archived