Which is better? Plannig an Excursion or just waiting 'till you get there? (Kids 7/8)

momofmn00

What do you do @ Ports?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do @ Ports?

• Plan an excursion through the cruise line
    • Plan an excursion through a private company
    • We do not plan anything; just cruise the port on our own
    • We don't get of the boat!

I have a question?

Which is better to do for a family, my DD will be 8/DS will be 7 when we cruise next fall and I am wondering which is better~

Either have all of our Excursions planned out/purchased before the cruise? (ie. I cannot wait until we goet on the cuise!)

or

just go with the flow, and find stuff to do when we get to the Port?:confused:

When DH & I went on our 1st cruise last Feb 07, we didn't have anything planned out; we had traveled with some friends, and they said they didn't want to, so well, we didn't either! We just found taxis and found places to go to/see...but some ended up quite boring/rundown...:eek:

anyway, I was thinking having set excursions planned is the way to go with kids...but wanted others opinions as to what worked best for them....:cool:

Thanks!:D

For each of my cruises, I've gone to the ports-of-call area on this board and asked about activities appropriate for my childrens' ages. In one port, someone gave me directions for a spectacular kid-friendly resort within walking distance from the ship; in another, a local tourguide suggested a great park I wouldn't have otherwise learned about. I also got great info on the ship-offered excursions and which were best for my family, so I highly suggest checking in over there and having the info and a plan before you leave.

Best,

Mia

For me it depends on the port. I do research on the port of call boards and by reading books I buy or borrow. It also depends what I am doing at the other ports. If we plan a boat excursion one place then the next place I want to feel the sand between my toes.

Karysa

Depends on your kids and the destination. Our girl tends not to want to go on excursions, especially tours. She rather just stay in the kids program. But on our last cruise, probably because it was a destination she was thrilled about (Hawaii), she wanted to get off the ship in each port. She even went with us on a tour of Hilo, even though her tummy was bothering her near the end (it was a long all day tour in a van). If your child is old enough, include them in the discussion about what to do.

I guess I should have added~:rolleyes:

We are probably doing an Western Caribbean Cruise on the Carnival Conquest; just because it is the closest port to us (we live in SW Missouri) and we like to drive to the pier.;)

But I like suggestions of what others have done with kids close in this age group and what has worked best for them!:o

Thansk to everyone for their imput!:D

I plan, plan and then PLAN some more. ;)

The LAST thing I want to do is to wait in the shore excursion line on the cruiseship. It's always the longest long onboard.

I research the ports, ask at the Ports of Call board, then book online WITH the cruiseline. I don't risk using independants.

And what ports are you doing on Western Carribean? List them and we can help you. :D

The LAST thing I want to do is to wait in the shore excursion line on the cruiseship. It's always the longest long onboard.

Yeah, I know, Plus I can't see me waiting there all day with my kids! And what if they are full, the kids would be SO dissapointed!

I research the ports, ask at the Ports of Call board, then book online WITH the cruiseline. I don't risk using independants.

Really, that's great to know. I am kind of leary of independents, but some people swear by them...

And what ports are you doing on Western Carribean? List them and we can help you. :D

We will be doing Jamacia, Grand Caymen, and Cozumel.

I am thinking maybe sailboat & beach in Jamacia, but not sure...

Grand Caymen...not realy sure...but I don't know if the kids would be afraid of the singrays...The kids are learning to snorkle...so that is ok...

Cozumel; I want thinking about the dolphin encounter, but was also wondering if I have to have 2 paying adults for 2 kids (even though DD will be 8 at the time) because Dh will probably go Scuba Diving if he can....

These are just some thoughts I have had....Would like to hear of any fun excursions anyone had done with kids this age...7 & 8!

Thanks to everyone for your help....:D

Archived