Cruise ships allow service dogs of all sizes

Dogs are allowed on cruise ships if they have been certified by a physician that the dog provides a task for their owner.

Some of the more common tasks dogs help their master are: diabetes, MS, epilepsy, mobility issues, post traumatic stress, phibramilalgia, or hearing loss.

My wife travels with Scooter, the first service dog on the Oasis of the Seas! Scooter has been on 15 cruises! He will be on the Radiance of the Seas for the fourth time this season 1/17/11 and on Azamara's Journey 2/27/11

If you need some assistance in getting your dog qualified or just have questions send a post.

Dogs are allowed on cruise ships if they have been certified by a physician that the dog provides a task for their owner.

Just need to make some legal corrections to your post, in case ppl find this thread looking for info. on service dogs.

Doctors don't certify service dogs. That's not their realm of expertise. A dog trainer can certify a service dog. However, in the U.S., certification is not required in order for a dog to be a service dog. Training is required; the dog must be trained to do tasks/work which directly affect the person's disability and the dog must be trained to be impeccable in public (for a service dog that goes into public places, as most do). As a side, dogs for just comfort, emotional support, their presence, etc. are not service dogs; emotional support dogs are not service dogs.

Some of the more common tasks dogs help their master are: diabetes, MS, epilepsy, mobility issues, post traumatic stress, phibramilalgia, or hearing loss.

Those are medical conditions, not tasks. Tasks are things dogs are trained to do that help the person compensate for their disability, such as retrieving objects for somebody who has trouble picking up objects or getting objects across a room, guiding a person who is visually impaired or blind, alerting to sounds for a person who is hearing impaired or deaf, etc.

Also, one's medical condition does not necessarily make them disabled. A person can have one of the things you named and not be impaired enough by it to be legally disabled. In that case, they wouldn't qualify for a service dog.

(And, it is spelled "Fibromyalgia". ;))

My wife travels with Scooter, the first service dog on the Oasis of the Seas! Scooter has been on 15 cruises! He will be on the Radiance of the Seas for the fourth time this season 1/17/11 and on Azamara's Journey 2/27/11

Come join us on the big, long service dog cruising thread on this board! :cool:

Just need to make some legal corrections to your post, in case ppl find this thread looking for info. on service dogs.

. . . . (Some content deleted, for the sake of brevity) . . .

Come join us on the big, long service dog cruising thread on this board! :cool:

Quam is a mine of information and a stickler for the correct terminology.

As she said, do join everyone else on the other thread. :)

It always amazes me how much our friend Quam does know and, far be it for me to correct her......In order to receive a Service Dog [a dog who mitigates a specific problem that the handler may have] you MUST have a letter from a Medical Provider stating what your "physical disability" is. At least that is how many dog training organizations work, that I know of.

Service and hearing Dog applicants MUST fill out a MEDICAL REFERENCE FORM in which it requires a signature from the handlers physician. And, then the handler will have to go through an interview and screening process [with the training Org.] to be followed by "Team Training". This is when the dog and the handler are "matched" and trained together, followed by a Graduation Ceremony [the most tearful experience next to watching your own children graduate!]

You get to take your dog home with you but you must return in 3 months to have a follow-up visit where you will be given PUBLIC ACCESS. The almighty, holy grail.

For those of you who think it's easy........guess again. And, Service Dogs, Hearing, Skilled Companions and Seeing Eye Dogs come in all sizes/colors and breeds.

The very best way to tell if a dog is a true Working Dog is to watch its demeanor. They are so well behaved, they put the most respectful child to shame!!!!!

My Service Dog will be on her 15th cruise in September and we're very proud of how she cruises.

It always amazes me how much our friend Quam does know and, far be it for me to correct her......In order to receive a Service Dog [a dog who mitigates a specific problem that the handler may have] you MUST have a letter from a Medical Provider stating what your "physical disability" is. At least that is how many dog training organizations work, that I know of.

That is not law, that is just how some organizations and trainers run their organization or business, especially large organizations who have to sort through tons of applications/people. The law (in the U.S.) does not require a doctor's letter. The person does have to be disabled as per the law, of course, and the dog does have to be trained to do things that mitigate the disability and are directly related to the disability. And, if taken to court over access, the person will need proof of disability if that is in question. In any case, doctors aren't dog trainers, so they can't write a letter saying a specific dog qualifies as a service dog or certify a service dog. They can recommend a person get a service dog in general (not a particular dog).

There's a lot of gray areas here. A person doesn't have to be "legally" disabled to use a service dog in public.

I have seen service dogs whose whole reason for use extends to them being able to have a special pack with a handle so the owner can use the dog when balance issues arise.

As far as I'm aware, there is no training program for dogs who sense blood sugar drops or seizures, but they certainly are service animals.

There's a lot of gray areas here. A person doesn't have to be "legally" disabled to use a service dog in public.

I have seen service dogs whose whole reason for use extends to them being able to have a special pack with a handle so the owner can use the dog when balance issues arise.

As far as I'm aware, there is no training program for dogs who sense blood sugar drops or seizures, but they certainly are service animals.

It's definitely a gray area but current case law seems to favor the animal having training beyond just "sensing." For example, bringing meds/food to raise blood sugar or leading someone to safety before a seizure. The legal trend seems to be that an animal that just barks or "freaks out" when its owner has problems is not a service animal.

I saw an awesome example of a dog who, if his handler had low blood sugar, was trained to open the refrigerator, get one of the small plastic bottles of OJ that were stored on the bottom shelf and bring it to his owner. I've also seen dogs who can bring both meds and a bottle of water to their handlers.

You're right in thinking that some dogs have a natural ability to sense problems like low blood sugar or seizures but there are many training programs for both seizure alert and diabetes alert dogs that work with that natural ability to train the dog to be of practical assistance.

Yes, a person certainly does have to be legally disabled in order to have a service dog. If you don't fit the ADA definition of a person with a disability, you do not qualify for a service dog, period. No gray area. There are also requirements the dog has to fit, such as being trained to do something to help the person that is directly related to the person's disability and to be trained to behave in public.

These are mobility dogs. These dogs are trained to do balance tasks, such as balance and counter-balance, to keep the person stable when walking/standing. They might also help a person out of a chair as well as help a person off the ground if the person falls, as well as other mobility tasks. It is not just a dog wearing a harness; there is a lot of training that goes into mobility tasks to not only teach the dog how to do them, but how to do them in a way that is safe for the dog and keeps the person safe.

My dog is a mobility dog, amoung other things.

Yes, there are several service dog organizations (and trainers) for these alert dogs (as well as other kinds of alert dogs). Alert dogs amaze me!

Yes, a person certainly does have to be legally disabled in order to have a service dog. If you don't fit the ADA definition of a person with a disability, you do not qualify for a service dog, period. No gray area. There are also requirements the dog has to fit, such as being trained to do something to help the person that is directly related to the person's disability and to be trained to behave in public.

These are mobility dogs. These dogs are trained to do balance tasks, such as balance and counter-balance, to keep the person stable when walking/standing. They might also help a person out of a chair as well as help a person off the ground if the person falls, as well as other mobility tasks. It is not just a dog wearing a harness; there is a lot of training that goes into mobility tasks to not only teach the dog how to do them, but how to do them in a way that is safe for the dog and keeps the person safe.

My dog is a mobility dog, amoung other things.

Yes, there are several service dog organizations (and trainers) for these alert dogs (as well as other kinds of alert dogs). Alert dogs amaze me!

Hmm, I see you do this a lot to people. As a psychologist, I find that interesting. :)

My point in saying "legally" disabled...there's no such thing. You don't file paperwork to assert your disability such as you would to incorporate a business. The term legally implies there's a law governing the amount of disability required to become disabled.

You might be able to extend it to those deemed disabled by Social Security, but even than, I know many whom would qualify for SS and yet decide to continue working or run their own business. Of course, with the aid of their service dog.

I myself have trained a rescued dog to do many operations for me in the home. I don't take her into most public places, but she does do hospital visitation. If there comes a time I find I need her assistance, I wouldn't hesitate to use her.

There are countless books and articles on this subject, so I don't expect you to take it from me. The severity of someone's disability is between themselves and their doctor, and you don't need to be at any specific level to benefit from any type of training in a service dog.

I need to step in here. It is ABSOLUTELY A MUST TO GO THROUGH AN EXAM BY A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL, of which MUST be sent to CCI. This is part of the Review Process in order to receive a Service Dog and given PUBLIC ACCESS.

I hope this helps to clarify this issue.

Wizard of Roz, and others, please feel free to browse this:

http://www.ada.gov/qasrvc.htm

"Q: What is a service animal?

A: The ADA defines a service animal as any guide dog, signal dog, or other animal individually trained to provide assistance to an individual with a disability. If they meet this definition, animals are considered service animals under the ADA regardless of whether they have been licensed or certified by a state or local government."

I'm unaware of the general confusion and lack of knowledge in this area. Aren't those with disabilities supposed to band together and help each other? Knowing the actual laws benefit everyone involved.

Wizard of Roz, and others, please feel free to browse this:

http://www.ada.gov/qasrvc.htm

"Q: What is a service animal?

A: The ADA defines a service animal as any guide dog, signal dog, or other animal individually trained to provide assistance to an individual with a disability. If they meet this definition, animals are considered service animals under the ADA regardless of whether they have been licensed or certified by a state or local government."

I'm unaware of the general confusion and lack of knowledge in this area. Aren't those with disabilities supposed to band together and help each other? Knowing the actual laws benefit everyone involved.

In what way are we NOT helping each other? Meeting the "definition" is the hard part.

CCI gives its Graduates a Public Certification card to carry on them. It's not something that MUST be given by all orgs. [we all know that] but it sure helps to show it when I'm traveling. Quam doesn't like it because she feels that Immigration/TSA and other public entities may get used to seeing these cards and will expect to see them by EVERYONE who comes in contact with them, with a Service Dog.

When I show my card I also remind whom I'm showing it to that it's really not necessary to show this, it just makes my having to explain her being with me more clearly. The card explains that CCI certifies that Brenda has had rigorous Training to go into the public; it explains ADA Laws and, even has a date for Brenda to be re-tested for her ablility to have Public Access. Afterall, there are some folks who are unable to speak and this card can easily explain the "team" and, what public rights they have.

Some of us are more "stirring of the pot" than others. But, all-in-all, we are "THERE" for each other and support each other in everything and every encounter that we have to endure while going through our lives with a Service Dog.

Going cruising with an SD was and is not common. Still to this day, we rarely see another dog onboard and there are hundreds of folks in wheel chairs and walkers onboard who would truly benefit from the assistance of one of these heroes, such as: A woman who dropped her keys and had to ask the porter to please come and help her. The man who couldn't push the button on the elevator and the child who couldn't push open the door to his cabin and on and on - all of them could have remained independent because their Service Dog would have done it for them.

I thank you for being helpful. The next time you see someone in a wheelchair, at the movies who can't put his money on the counter to pay for his popcorn; whisper in his ear that there are Service Dogs who are trained to do this for him and they make amazing "buddies" at home!!!!!!! That would really be helpful!!!!!!!

Or, if you're in a doctor's waiting room and there's a little boy who's crying and whimpering and you know that his sitting with a Service Dog could make him feel more safe in a strange environment and you inform the mother of organizations that train dogs to do just that, and that this child could have a dog of his very own........That's helpful!!!!!!

My only point in showing that service dogs do not need to be licensed, in that not everyone can afford to purchase a certified dog.

You are certainly able to train a dog yourself and many with disabilities have done it. You can than get them certified, but only if you wish it. It is actually illegal for someone to ASK if you are disabled and need the dog. I personally think when people cave in and show a card, instead of standing up for the legal right they have, are now endangering the next person who shows up who does not carry a card or doesn't have one of being rejected.

I've personally and others in my support group for muscular dystrophy have been quoted as much as $15,000 for a trained animal. Add that to tens of thousands of dollars of annual hospital co-pays, drugs, doctor's visits, equipment and anything else...it's difficult to meet.

I'll continue to take my dog in the rare outings that I do...to the farmers market to carry vegetables for me, walking long distances, etc.

I've personally trained my rescued dog to pick up items from the floor, open cabinets, remove clothing, helps with the chickens...and she makes one mean seatwarmer. :)

I wish it would have been easier for you to admit you made a mistake in needing to certify a dog than it was to attack me for not being "helpful" in the way you wish I was.

Hmm, I see you do this a lot to people. As a psychologist, I find that interesting. :)

Nothing interesting or psychological about correcting wrong statements so ppl looking up info. will know the truth about the law instead of break it thinking the info. they read was correct. There are ppl out there who take info. they find on a message board and think it is law instead of checking out what the actual laws (or other info. about any topic) are, so correct info. needs to be posted. You never know who is looking at this info., as you can find it easily via Google as well as by looking on this board. I've seen message boards (brought to me via Google News e-mails for keyword "service dog") that have such wrong info. posted by ppl it is ridiculous.

If somebody came on here and started posting wrong info. about a mental illness, I'm sure you would post corrected info. on that topic since you're likely up on those issues. I'm up on the service dog issues and it affects my life, so if I see a post with incorrect info. on a board I'm signed up on (or, if I have time, on a board I am willing to sign up for if the info. is really wrong), I will post a correction.

My point in saying "legally" disabled...there's no such thing. You don't file paperwork to assert your disability such as you would to incorporate a business. The term legally implies there's a law governing the amount of disability required to become disabled.

"Legally" does not mean you have to file paperwork. Most stuff done legally has nothing to do with paperwork. There is indeed a law governing disability - it is called the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). That lays down the guidelines for who qualifies to be a person with a disability. You can have a medical problem without being legally disabled, even if the medical problem does cause some ppl to be legally disabled. In order to have a medical problem and be disabled by it, you fit the first tier of the definition, which is it must substantially interfere with one or more major life activities such as walking, eating, seeing, hearing, thinking, etc.

There are two other tiers, but neither of those qualify a person to have a service dog since the service dog must be trained to directly mitigate the disability, so you must actually have a disabling condition for that.

You might be able to extend it to those deemed disabled by Social Security, but even than, I know many whom would qualify for SS and yet decide to continue working or run their own business. Of course, with the aid of their service dog.

Social Security has nothing to do with the ADA or who qualifies for it. Plenty of disabled ppl don't qualify for it for various reasons, such as they are plenty able to work like you said.

I myself have trained a rescued dog to do many operations for me in the home. I don't take her into most public places, but she does do hospital visitation. If there comes a time I find I need her assistance, I wouldn't hesitate to use her.

That is a pet/therapy dog. You have no right to take her into any place pets are not allowed if you are not legally disabled. (A hospital or other place can grant you permission to bring her for therapy sessions, but that is not an automatic thing, not something legally given to you, and can be revoked at any time.)

The person has the right to take a service dog in public with them; the dog has no rights no matter how much it is trained.

There are countless books and articles on this subject, so I don't expect you to take it from me. The severity of someone's disability is between themselves and their doctor, and you don't need to be at any specific level to benefit from any type of training in a service dog.

I've been around the service dog world for years and know the laws very well, but do also read books and articles (which are often wrong, if you mean stories of ppl trying to get access somewhere) on the subject.

In order for your dog to be called a service dog, there is twofold:

(1) You must be legally disabled. The ADA defines this for all disability-related reasonable accommodations. If you are not at the disabled level, you do not qualify for a service dog, period.

(2) The dog must be trained to do tasks or work that directly mitigate your disability, as well as the dog must be trained to behave in public.

My only point in showing that service dogs do not need to be licensed, in that not everyone can afford to purchase a certified dog.

You are certainly able to train a dog yourself and many with disabilities have done it. You can than get them certified, but only if you wish it. It is actually illegal for someone to ASK if you are disabled and need the dog. I personally think when people cave in and show a card, instead of standing up for the legal right they have, are now endangering the next person who shows up who does not carry a card or doesn't have one of being rejected.

I've personally and others in my support group for muscular dystrophy have been quoted as much as $15,000 for a trained animal. Add that to tens of thousands of dollars of annual hospital co-pays, drugs, doctor's visits, equipment and anything else...it's difficult to meet.

I'll continue to take my dog in the rare outings that I do...to the farmers market to carry vegetables for me, walking long distances, etc.

I've personally trained my rescued dog to pick up items from the floor, open cabinets, remove clothing, helps with the chickens...and she makes one mean seatwarmer. :)

I wish it would have been easier for you to admit you made a mistake in needing to certify a dog than it was to attack me for not being "helpful" in the way you wish I was.

CCI will give you a fully trained and "certified" Service Dog for ABSOLUTELY NO MONEY........THEY'RE FREE!!!!!!!!! You just must go through the "screening process"; doctors visits [by your own physician], telephone interview, personal interview, Team Training and then Public Access Certification, in a public environment. The dog will be worth in excess of $50,000 but you pay NOTHING. CCI is subsidized by private endowments, generous donors and I believe they may be getting some public funds as they have initiated the Wounded Warriors program. CCI will give you a vest/dog dishes/crate/collar and leash to get started. At least that's what we got in 2002. They may have changed some of the items they give. In 2002 we were asked to give $100 to defray the cost of some of the above items. I don't think they ask for that anymore.

Please forgive me if you felt "attacked", I certainly did not mean to do that.........I simply wanted you to feel empowered with the "helpful" bug!!!!!! ;)

What you've done with your own dog is amazing and I give you kudos for that and for rescuing him.

Thanks for sharing your insights with us.

In the U.S., there is no service dog licensure/certification by the gov't. But, service dogs do need to be licensed by the city/county (as per local laws) the person lives in if that's required for dogs there (I'm sure that's not the license you meant, but somebody reading this might think they don't have to pay for a dog license for a service dog, so I'm making that clear).

Some service dogs are free, some service dogs cost a small amount that you either pay from pocket or fundraise, and some service dogs you have to pay for everything. It just depends on where you get them from/get them trained at.

It is NOT illegal for a business to ask if the dog is a service dog required because of your disability. (It IS illegal for them to ask WHAT your disability is. Not to mention rude, LOL!) It is also legal for a business to ask what tasks your dog has been trained to do that directly mitigate your disability - you don't have to name each task, of course, but should give two of them (I always tell them she helps me walk [a lot of ppl don't understand the term "mobility work"] and retrieves items for me).

My dog is certified and we do recertification every other year, but, no, it is not required in the U.S.

I'm with you on the showing of the card issue. It just creates problems for those who come after you. I've heard many tales of somebody having an access issue and the store employee said, "Well, you don't have that card that the last team showed!" Not good.

You can fundraise that money. Or look for an organization that only makes you pay a small amount of that or one that gives the dogs for free if you can't afford anything (though I think everybody should pay at least a little amount). Also, service dog costs are tax-deductible if they are over 7.5% of your income (you have to itemize the costs) - that doesn't mean anything for many ppl (such as those who work), but for some it helps.

Helps with the chickens?! I must know what she does! Sounds interesting! I think most dogs would only be interested in helping to EAT the chickens! :p

Helps with the chickens?! I must know what she does! Sounds interesting! I think most dogs would only be interested in helping to EAT the chickens! :p

Well, I have one of those as well. lol

Muffin actually has very little interest in the chickens, which is probably just a fortunate quirk of her personality rather than training.

She carries or opens bags of chicken feed, and will herd them. I haven't been able to get her to collect eggs yet...well, collect them and not wander away with them for a snack. She will pick them up, but there's a disconnect we have that I hold out my hand and she drops them on the ground.

Than she eats it. LOL

She will also drag a hay bale but that's been spotty. :)

Nothing interesting or psychological about correcting wrong statements so ppl looking up info. will know the truth about the law instead of break it thinking the info. they read was correct. There are ppl out there who take info. they find on a message board and think it is law instead of checking out what the actual laws (or other info. about any topic) are, so correct info. needs to be posted. You never know who is looking at this info., as you can find it easily via Google as well as by looking on this board. I've seen message boards (brought to me via Google News e-mails for keyword "service dog") that have such wrong info. posted by ppl it is ridiculous.

If somebody came on here and started posting wrong info. about a mental illness, I'm sure you would post corrected info. on that topic since you're likely up on those issues. I'm up on the service dog issues and it affects my life, so if I see a post with incorrect info. on a board I'm signed up on (or, if I have time, on a board I am willing to sign up for if the info. is really wrong), I will post a correction.

"Legally" does not mean you have to file paperwork. Most stuff done legally has nothing to do with paperwork. There is indeed a law governing disability - it is called the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). That lays down the guidelines for who qualifies to be a person with a disability. You can have a medical problem without being legally disabled, even if the medical problem does cause some ppl to be legally disabled. In order to have a medical problem and be disabled by it, you fit the first tier of the definition, which is it must substantially interfere with one or more major life activities such as walking, eating, seeing, hearing, thinking, etc.

There are two other tiers, but neither of those qualify a person to have a service dog since the service dog must be trained to directly mitigate the disability, so you must actually have a disabling condition for that.

Social Security has nothing to do with the ADA or who qualifies for it. Plenty of disabled ppl don't qualify for it for various reasons, such as they are plenty able to work like you said.

That is a pet/therapy dog. You have no right to take her into any place pets are not allowed if you are not legally disabled. (A hospital or other place can grant you permission to bring her for therapy sessions, but that is not an automatic thing, not something legally given to you, and can be revoked at any time.)

The person has the right to take a service dog in public with them; the dog has no rights no matter how much it is trained.

I've been around the service dog world for years and know the laws very well, but do also read books and articles (which are often wrong, if you mean stories of ppl trying to get access somewhere) on the subject.

In order for your dog to be called a service dog, there is twofold:

(1) You must be legally disabled. The ADA defines this for all disability-related reasonable accommodations. If you are not at the disabled level, you do not qualify for a service dog, period.

(2) The dog must be trained to do tasks or work that directly mitigate your disability, as well as the dog must be trained to behave in public.

I have to still respectfully disagree with you. There is no such thing as legally disabled. There are guidelines as to how the ADA interprets someone to be disabled, namely:

3. Q: Who does the ADA protect?

A: The ADA covers a wide range of individuals with disabilities. An individual is considered to have a "disability" if he or she has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, has a record of such an impairment, or is regarded as having such an impairment.

http://www.ada.gov/q%26a_law.htm

I honestly feel this thread is more about who is "more" disabled and possibly some people with service dogs aren't kosher to seeing someone use a service dog, when they personally feel the disabled person in question doesn't need them, or isn't disabled "enough".

Well, I have one of those as well. lol

Muffin actually has very little interest in the chickens, which is probably just a fortunate quirk of her personality rather than training.

She carries or opens bags of chicken feed, and will herd them. I haven't been able to get her to collect eggs yet...well, collect them and not wander away with them for a snack. She will pick them up, but there's a disconnect we have that I hold out my hand and she drops them on the ground.

Than she eats it. LOL

She will also drag a hay bale but that's been spotty. :)

Not only do I love Muffin. I love where you live. It sounds like the environment is very condusive to your well being and that Muffin has a lot of freedom to enjoy the animals and the "land"!

Thank you, Roz. :)

I'll swap climates with you! We're supposed to get another 8 inches of snow tonight. I swear I haven't left the house in three weeks. lol

I couldn't stand it.......I know how lucky we are here, it's over 80 degrees, here, today. And, best of all, the winds have died down so all we have is the glorious sunshine. The air conditioning has not stopped and all Miss Brenda wants to do is go outside and play......I'll never get any work done!!!!

All that said, we also live in "ground zero" for earthquakes [Northridge].....we're holding steady and haven't had anything to talk about........S H U T U P!!!!!!!

We have our emergency evacuation down pat........Brenda first, then everybody else!!!!!! ;)

Archived