Totally overwhelmed

Martini Mom

Dollar for dollar, you can't go wrong with taking a taxi or bus ride to the West End, go to Half Moon Bay, free beach, you have a bar and grill and some awesome snorkeling. Or look up Ronny's Barefeet Bar and Grill they have great people and will make a tour to fit what you want to do.

Enjoy

Go to the Wet End of the Island, avoid Little French Key, it is on the wrong side of the island, snorkeling is much better on the west end of the island. Either do a ship tour to Tabayana or else get a private tour and go that way. You will be glad that you did.

Go to the Wet End of the Island, avoid Little French Key, it is on the wrong side of the island, snorkeling is much better on the west end of the island. Either do a ship tour to Tabayana or else get a private tour and go that way. You will be glad that you did.

The "wrong" side of the island? :confused: LOL Have you been to LFK and seen the reef there? It's pretty amazing. I have been to both. Didn't care for the beach at West Bay or the non-stock vendors that would even follow you out to the water if needed to try to get you to buy things. JMO.

The "wrong" side of the island? :confused: LOL Have you been to LFK and seen the reef there? It's pretty amazing. I have been to both. Didn't care for the beach at West Bay or the non-stock vendors that would even follow you out to the water if needed to try to get you to buy things. JMO.

I have and I don't like it at all. It is too much of a manufactured experience and the reef is at best so so.

I'm not a big snorkeler, so that isn't really a consideration. I want an awesome beach, good food and drinks, and umm... and an awesome beach

The best beach is somewhere on the west end of the island. avoid the south side.

Edited by zqvol

I'm not a big snorkeler, so that isn't really a consideration. I want an awesome beach, good food and drinks, and umm... and an awesome beach :)

if you want quiet and aren't bothered about swimming out to the reef, maybe look at Havana Beach or Turquoise Bay. I cant really vouch for the food and drinks, actually I haven't had any outstanding food and drinks on Roatan.

I have snorkeled twice off LFK and maybe 15 times off Tabyana and in front of the Infinity Bay Hotel next to Tabyana and it's all excellent. If you experienced poor snorkeling in LFK, then you didn't know where to go. I have amazing pictures of the reef and several of its creatures, including lobster and octopus that I took at LFK.

I'm not a big snorkeler, so that isn't really a consideration. I want an awesome beach, good food and drinks, and umm... and an awesome beach :)

Take the ship excursion or a cab to Tabyana on West Bay Beach then for a true Caribbean beach experience. Second choice, and a bit more expensive, is Maya Key.

BTW, if you like good coffee, Honduran goes for about $8/lb. Very Smooth but robust flavor.

I have no idea what to do/where to go in Roatan (docking in Mahogany Bay). What is the best/most beautiful beach? We don't need an expensive excursion, but would consider a reasonable beach package deal.

Have you at least considered the beach right there at Mahogany Bay?

LuLu

Yes, but most of the things I've heard about it are mediocre at best.

We've cruised to Roatan many times back when our only place to dock was Coxen Hole and even back when we had to tender into there.

For this reason we love the convenience of the beach at Mahogany Bay which we have found nice and works for us.

Certainly, for your first time there you do need to get out and see the "real" Roatan.

Have you considered a catamaran tour that takes you to their Barrier Reef (second largest in the world)? Awesome snorkeling! :)

Whatever you pick ... Have a GREAT time! :D

LuLu

We've cruised to Roatan many times back when our only place to dock was Coxen Hole and even back when we had to tender into there.

For this reason we love the convenience of the beach at Mahogany Bay which we have found nice and works for us.

Certainly, for your first time there you do need to get out and see the "real" Roatan.

Have you considered a catamaran tour that takes you to their Barrier Reef (second largest in the world)? Awesome snorkeling! :)

Whatever you pick ... Have a GREAT time! :D

LuLu

do you have a recommendation for a catamaran tour? I prefer to book my own tours and not go through the ships tours

West Bay. We hired a private driver that took us around the island and we went to West Bay -- BEAUTIFUL. There are some bars there on the beach and resorts like Infinity. The water is great and you can snorkel right there waist deep. Swim out a little further to the coral. Great place.

Our family of four is going for the first time in a few weeks and we're having trouble deciding the same thing! We originally planned to stay at Mahogany Beach, but now I'm starting to wonder if we should wander over to one of the other beaches. My daughter and I will be first-time snorkelers, while my husband and 7 yo son are a bit more nervous about the water. I expect they'll be happy to build sand castles and stay in shallow water. Though that was one reason West Bay appealed to me- I'd read that you can snorkel in pretty shallow water there. I thought that might excite them. I was also hoping to find a place to get lunch and walk around when we've had enough of the water. Is there plenty to do/see in both areas?

Edited by lesaj

If just swimming and eating and a drink, check out my other post West End--1/2 Moon bay sit in front of Sun Set Bar and Grill it is Awesome, I have a place on the inland and that's were I spend my beach time. oh and you can get a 20$ 30 minute message right there on the beach.

Our family of four is going for the first time in a few weeks and we're having trouble deciding the same thing! We originally planned to stay at Mahogany Beach, but now I'm starting to wonder if we should wander over to one of the other beaches. My daughter and I will be first-time snorkelers, while my husband and 7 yo son are a bit more nervous about the water. I expect they'll be happy to build sand castles and stay in shallow water. Though that was one reason West Bay appealed to me- I'd read that you can snorkel in pretty shallow water there. I thought that might excite them. I was also hoping to find a place to get lunch and walk around when we've had enough of the water. Is there plenty to do/see in both areas?

My preference is West Bay, it is the premiere beach on the island. The snorkle area is free of boats and the reef comes almost to the sand. There are plenty of restaurants and bars about to entertain along with water toys.

West End's Half Moon Bay is nice enough but it is in town and the road is RIGHT next to the sand, I do not enjoy the car noise nor do I like dodging the boats coming and going while snorkeling.

In the end it is personal preference, there are many a person who hang about at Sundowner's on Half Moon Bay, it is sort the spot to begins one's evening as an Expat or return visitor.

Edited by Guest 2000

We had excursions planned for two of our ports and decided to take it easy and hang out at the beach in Roatan at Mahogany Bay ... which was just fine. Heading there again in March and will do the same.

Definitely check out Little French Key. It's heaven on earth. We have been twice now and it just gets better each time.

I have 2 reviews in my signature line with tons of pictures. Our last visit was 3 months ago. :D

After reading her review, checking out her pics, looking them up on Trip Advisor and FB, we've decided to go to LFK. A little pricey, but exactly the experience we're looking for. :)

305365711_LFKRoatan.jpg.2f3b81967d6d7058776d1f37f62406c7.jpg

After reading her review, checking out her pics, looking them up on Trip Advisor and FB, we've decided to go to LFK. A little pricey, but exactly the experience we're looking for. :)

I hope you have a wonderful time and a great experience as we have both times. It's a beautiful place indeed. :)