Difference between Titanic and cruise today

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Ask a Cruise Question
Post your general cruise questions here.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:59 PM.
#1
Tx
16,598 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Ok, I'll admit it: I have Titanic in high def. recorded on my Tivo! I was watching just now when I thought it might be funny to list a few differences between life on Titanic (before the sinking, of course) and a cruise now! I'll start:

One word: AZIPODS!!

Rats in steerage?? lol!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Some beach, somewhere..." Blake Shelton
#2
Washington, DC
386 Posts
Joined May 2000
Yup, azipods are amazing little pieces of technology.

But did you know, only 6 Carnival ships have azipods?

Elation, Paradise, Spirit, Pride, Legend, and Miracle all have azipods.

The others (including the Conquest class) are all fixed propellor ships. Granted they run off massive electric or diesel engines now, but they still do have the fixed screws.
#3
Tx
16,598 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Originally posted by Au48
Yup, azipods are amazing little pieces of technology.

But did you know, only 6 Carnival ships have azipods?

Elation, Paradise, Spirit, Pride, Legend, and Miracle all have azipods.

The others (including the Conquest class) are all fixed propellor ships. Granted they run off massive electric or diesel engines now, but they still do have the fixed screws.
I didn't KNOW that! How does the Conquest move sideways then and turn around in circles? Could ships do that that DON'T have azipods?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Some beach, somewhere..." Blake Shelton
#4
Washington, DC
386 Posts
Joined May 2000
Originally posted by LeighNtexas
I didn't KNOW that! How does the Conquest move sideways then and turn around in circles? Could ships do that that DON'T have azipods?
They have bow thrusters. Those are smaller propellors located on either side of the ship towards the front. They allow the ship to move side to side. When you couple one side of the bow thrusters with the main propellors going in forward or reverse, you can make the ship go in circles.

Some ships even have stern thrusters, which are the same concept, just further back on ths ship.
#5
San Diego, Porschefornia
555 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
bow and stern thrusters. Small secondary thrusting propellers embedded in the bow and stern in order to push or pull the ship sideways, or even rotate the ship.
RUF
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Rufus




Been there cruised that, laundry ruined the T-shirt so I am back to get another.
#6
120 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
Originally posted by LeighNtexas
Ok, I'll admit it: I have Titanic in high def. recorded on my Tivo! I was watching just now when I thought it might be funny to list a few differences between life on Titanic (before the sinking, of course) and a cruise now! I'll start:

One word: AZIPODS!!

Rats in steerage?? lol!
How about the most important word....lifeboats (for all passengers)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Queen Mary 2 Labor Day Cruise 2006
Carnival Freedom Inagural Cruise 2007
Norwegian Sun January 2008
Carnival Inspiration January 2011
#7
3,816 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
They would be more amzing if they worked. Do you realize how much revenue has been lost, industry-wide, to azipod breakdowns?

I would have to say - Passenger Classes. Not sure when it was decided that a guy paying $100 a day was entitled to eat next to a guy paying $1000, but it is definitely a difference
#8
Washington, DC
386 Posts
Joined May 2000
Originally posted by daveco58
They would be more amzing if they worked. Do you realize how much revenue has been lost, industry-wide, to azipod breakdowns?

I would have to say - Passenger Classes. Not sure when it was decided that a guy paying $100 a day was entitled to eat next to a guy paying $1000, but it is definitely a difference
Haha, on Cunard, they still have the whole class system going!
#9
3,816 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Originally posted by Au48
They have bow thrusters. Those are smaller propellors located on either side of the ship towards the front. They allow the ship to move side to side. When you couple one side of the bow thrusters with the main propellors going in forward or reverse, you can make the ship go in circles.

Some ships even have stern thrusters, which are the same concept, just further back on ths ship.

actually, you make the ship go in circles by driving one side's props forward, and the other side in reverse. Even with Azipods
#10
Tx
16,598 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Originally posted by Jlrymedic
How about the most important word....lifeboats (for all passengers)
GOOD answer!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Some beach, somewhere..." Blake Shelton
#12
Tx
16,598 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Originally posted by Au48
They have bow thrusters. Those are smaller propellors located on either side of the ship towards the front. They allow the ship to move side to side. When you couple one side of the bow thrusters with the main propellors going in forward or reverse, you can make the ship go in circles.

Some ships even have stern thrusters, which are the same concept, just further back on ths ship.
Wow, thanks for the lesson! I guess I assumed that if the ship went sideways and in circles, it had an azipod! LOL, I'm watching Titanic and it was the part where Rose was explaining how she almost "fell" off the ship, and right as I was writing the word azipod, the older man said, "See, women and machinery don't mix"! I guess I proved THAT point!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Some beach, somewhere..." Blake Shelton
#13
Tx
16,598 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Just thought of a couple more:

Betting your cruise tickets in a poker game!!

Women wearing hats on deck on Titanic, and those hats are NOT sombreros!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Some beach, somewhere..." Blake Shelton
#14
120 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
Originally posted by LeighNtexas
Wow, thanks for the lesson! I guess I assumed that if the ship went sideways and in circles, it had an azipod! LOL, I'm watching Titanic and it was the part where Rose was explaining how she almost "fell" off the ship, and right as I was writing the word azipod, the older man said, "See, women and machinery don't mix"! I guess I proved THAT point!
Don't they realize it is impossible to just 'fall', she had to have been drunk and doing something stupid, or pushed.....

just trying to maintain the concience of the boards
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Queen Mary 2 Labor Day Cruise 2006
Carnival Freedom Inagural Cruise 2007
Norwegian Sun January 2008
Carnival Inspiration January 2011
#15
GA girl stuck in CT
675 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
I have to admit I am a HUGE Titanic fan.... not just movie, but the actual history of titanic fascinates me!

Difference between Titanic and our modern day cruises is - Titanic's goal was to bring people to America.... today, most cruise ships are used for vacations...

Not to mention the Titanic was never christened, I believe that most cruise ships today are

and the rice of a single first-class ticket was $4,700 back in 1912 which today would $50,000, a lot more than the regular 2-3,000.00 suite!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises:

November 2006 - CCL Sensation
Nassau, Bahamas

November 2007 - CLL Fascination
Key West, Florida & Cozumel, Mexico

January 2008 - CCL Sensation
Freeport, Bahamas & Nassau, Bahamas

September 2008 - CCL Imagination
Key West, Florida & Cozumel, Mexico

April 2009 - Celebrity Century - Honeymoon
Key West, Florida & Cozumel, Mexico

March 13, 2010 - Carnival Liberty
Cozumel, Mexico : Georgetown, Grand Cayman & Ocho Rios, Jamaica


May 2, 2010 - Carnival Glory - 2nd Honeymoon
Cozumel, Mexico: Belize City, Belize: Isla Roatan, Honduras & Grand Cayman

March 29, 2012 - Celebrity Millennium - Traveling with my 6 mo old daughter
Key West, Florida & Cozumel, Mexico


March 29, 2014 - Celebrity Reflection - San Juan, St Thomas and St Maarten


Future Cruises:


May 1, 2016 - Carnival Victory - Bahamas {Our first SUITE & cruise with our girls}


#16
Tx
16,598 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Originally posted by shebring02lx
I have to admit I am a HUGE Titanic fan.... not just movie, but the actual history of titanic fascinates me!

Difference between Titanic and our modern day cruises is - Titanic's goal was to bring people to America.... today, most cruise ships are used for vacations...

Very true! I love the history of Titanic as well! I watch specials whenever i catch them on tv!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Some beach, somewhere..." Blake Shelton
#17
GA girl stuck in CT
675 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Originally posted by LeighNtexas
Very true! I love the history of Titanic as well! I watch specials whenever i catch them on tv!
There was one on this morning around 2am... History Channel.
They were trying to find proof that Titanic bottom was damaged by the iceberg... thus flooding the lower half of Titanic quicker than it should have!
They didnt find any proof though!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises:

November 2006 - CCL Sensation
Nassau, Bahamas

November 2007 - CLL Fascination
Key West, Florida & Cozumel, Mexico

January 2008 - CCL Sensation
Freeport, Bahamas & Nassau, Bahamas

September 2008 - CCL Imagination
Key West, Florida & Cozumel, Mexico

April 2009 - Celebrity Century - Honeymoon
Key West, Florida & Cozumel, Mexico

March 13, 2010 - Carnival Liberty
Cozumel, Mexico : Georgetown, Grand Cayman & Ocho Rios, Jamaica


May 2, 2010 - Carnival Glory - 2nd Honeymoon
Cozumel, Mexico: Belize City, Belize: Isla Roatan, Honduras & Grand Cayman

March 29, 2012 - Celebrity Millennium - Traveling with my 6 mo old daughter
Key West, Florida & Cozumel, Mexico


March 29, 2014 - Celebrity Reflection - San Juan, St Thomas and St Maarten


Future Cruises:


May 1, 2016 - Carnival Victory - Bahamas {Our first SUITE & cruise with our girls}


#18
MD (originally from Queens, NY)
862 Posts
Joined May 2006
stowaways?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature



Past Cruises:

6/2015 Carnival Splendor
7/2013 Carnival Splendor
7/2012 Celebrity Summit
8/2011 Carnival Destiny
8/2010 RCCL Explorer of the Seas
11/2008 RCCL Explorer of the Seas
9/2008 RCCL Explorer of the Seas
8/2007 Carnival Valor
9/2006 RCCL Majesty of the Seas
8/2005 Carnival Imagination
#19
120 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
passports?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Queen Mary 2 Labor Day Cruise 2006
Carnival Freedom Inagural Cruise 2007
Norwegian Sun January 2008
Carnival Inspiration January 2011
#20
Tx
16,598 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Originally posted by shebring02lx
There was one on this morning around 2am... History Channel.
They were trying to find proof that Titanic bottom was damaged by the iceberg... thus flooding the lower half of Titanic quicker than it should have!
They didnt find any proof though!
Yep, that was the one i watched! Just the fact that we can now see video of the ship on the floor of the ocean is amazing to me! I would love to see the tour of the artifacts recovered from Titanic, but i doubt that tour comes anywhere around West Texas, lol!! Probably more like New York and places like that!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Some beach, somewhere..." Blake Shelton