Belfast - where does the ship dock?

Hello, I have not been there, but I have been researching for our British Isles cruise with Princess in May 2013, and found this thread where someone said the area from the industrial port and the Titanic Quarter is not walkable:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/archive/index.php/t-1515947.html

The OP, Deloreangirl, wrote a great review of her cruise when she returned, and said this:

It was a quick drive over to the museum. Despite the museum being right there near the stern of the Caribbean Princess makes it look like you could just walk there. But I assure you that it’s a bunch of twists and turns and going up over a motorway and through the dock area to get there. The museum itself says that the walk is “1.7 miles from the city center”. After driving there, I can assure you that I’m glad we didn’t try this.

Sorry, I cannot find the thread on here of her review of Belfast, but I pulled that from the text file of her review which she generously shared with us.

Perhaps Deloreangirl will see this thread and comment further about walking between the sights in the Titanic Quarter. There is a Titanic Walking Tour of about a mile that you can take. Here is that link:

http://www.titanicwalk.com/

• 2 weeks later...
We are walkers and would like to walk from the ship to the Titanic Museum in Belfast but I cannot find a map that locates where cruise ships dock. Can ayone help me? Just to see if it is plausable to walk or not.

Thanks!

Hello, I have not been there, but I have been researching for our British Isles cruise with Princess in May 2013, and found this thread where someone said the area from the industrial port and the Titanic Quarter is not walkable:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/archive/index.php/t-1515947.html

The OP, Deloreangirl, wrote a great review of her cruise when she returned, and said this:

It was a quick drive over to the museum. Despite the museum being right there near the stern of the Caribbean Princess makes it look like you could just walk there. But I assure you that it’s a bunch of twists and turns and going up over a motorway and through the dock area to get there. The museum itself says that the walk is “1.7 miles from the city center”. After driving there, I can assure you that I’m glad we didn’t try this.

Sorry, I cannot find the thread on here of her review of Belfast, but I pulled that from the text file of her review which she generously shared with us.

Perhaps Deloreangirl will see this thread and comment further about walking between the sights in the Titanic Quarter. There is a Titanic Walking Tour of about a mile that you can take. Here is that link:

http://www.titanicwalk.com/

Hi there! (Thanks for the shoutout!)

Princess docks right smack there next to the museum and Titanic's drydock and pump house BUT.... you cannot walk to it from the ship.

You have to hop in a cab (which are all sitting there next to the ship) and take the 5-minute journey around the peninsula-type of area that leads into the "Titanic Quarter" where the museum is. I believe our cabbie charged us 6 pounds.

Here is a link to our Belfast day which was Titanic-heavy, if your'e interested.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=34184664&postcount=111

We talked a ton during our trip, too. We walked from the Titanic Museum down the side road to Titanic's pump house and drydock. Ask a local how to get there. It's pretty easy though -- just follow along the right side of Titanic Studios (a filming/production hangar) down the road until you see a modern office building next to the brick pump house. It's only 7 pounds to get in and tour it, more if you want to take the guided tour. And if you're a true Titanic nut, make sure to pay the 2.50 pounds to go inside the actual drawing offices.

It's a nice town filled with incredibly nice people. You'll have a great time!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

I live in Belfast so pm me if you have any questions.

The ship docks on one side of the Lagan and the museum is on the other so you cannot walk. It is very close though about 5 minutes by taxi - black taxis tend to be more expensive though. You can book with FonaCab 0044 2890 333333 who are one of Belfast's biggest taxi firms. It shouldn't cost you more than £5-6 and it will be metered.

From the Titanic Museum you can jump on the hop on/ off red buses (belfastcitysightseeing.com) which cost about £9 for the day and will take you around all the city sights and cultural places.

Please don't let the media put you off, this represents a very small minority here and Belfast is a very friendly city to visit.

• 5 weeks later...

Here is a qoute I got from Paddy Campbells' Black cabs...some prices seem higher than what others have posted. What do you think?

It would be £15 to be collected from the ship AND dropped at the titanic. The docks are out one side of the city limits, where you would then be bought into the city and then out the other side to the titanic. But all of the rest are correct:

8:15am pick up and drop at titanic for 8:45am:£15

12:00pm pick up at titanic and drop at crown: £5

3:00pm pick up at crown, political tour and drop off at ship: £52:50.

• 1 month later...
Here is a qoute I got from Paddy Campbells' Black cabs...some prices seem higher than what others have posted. What do you think?

It would be £15 to be collected from the ship AND dropped at the titanic. The docks are out one side of the city limits, where you would then be bought into the city and then out the other side to the titanic. But all of the rest are correct:

8:15am pick up and drop at titanic for 8:45am:£15

12:00pm pick up at titanic and drop at crown: £5

3:00pm pick up at crown, political tour and drop off at ship: £52:50.

Sorry, just seeing this now! Yes!!! This is a rip off!

Docks to Titanic takes a maximum of 10 minutes and should only be about £5-6

Titanic to crown is about £5 so that is ok. It's also about a 5-10 minute journey from the Titanic Centre.

Alternatively what you can do is jump on the HOHO bus (google Belfast sightseeing tours) which will do the whole "political tour" and more and even drop you off at the Titanic Building or outside the crown too.

Sorry, just seeing this now! Yes!!! This is a rip off!

Docks to Titanic takes a maximum of 10 minutes and should only be about £5-6

Titanic to crown is about £5 so that is ok. It's also about a 5-10 minute journey from the Titanic Centre.

Alternatively what you can do is jump on the HOHO bus (google Belfast sightseeing tours) which will do the whole "political tour" and more and even drop you off at the Titanic Building or outside the crown too.

Thanks bubblesqueaker. So for 5 people that is too steep for tx to the museum?

The Titanic 'Experience' (Museum) is good but it contains nothing very little real artifacts.

Just opposite it is the original drawing office - you can at least peer through the window. About 10 minutes walk away is the original Titanic 'Dry Dock' and it's Pump House. This is well worth seeing.

See the video's below:

http://wp.me/PfRKD-1Ch

Hi there,

I live in Belfast so pm me if you have any questions.

The ship docks on one side of the Lagan and the museum is on the other so you cannot walk. It is very close though about 5 minutes by taxi - black taxis tend to be more expensive though. You can book with FonaCab 0044 2890 333333 who are one of Belfast's biggest taxi firms. It shouldn't cost you more than £5-6 and it will be metered.

From the Titanic Museum you can jump on the hop on/ off red buses (belfastcitysightseeing.com) which cost about £9 for the day and will take you around all the city sights and cultural places.

Please don't let the media put you off, this represents a very small minority here and Belfast is a very friendly city to visit.

bubblesqueaker:

We reserved a walking tour with Coiste, we are supposed to meet at Divis Tower which is a 20 storey building on the edge of the city centre at the junction of Divis Street and the Fall's Road. The tour starts at 12:30, we are planning to get off the ship around 10 and walk to the city center and explore little before the tour. How far from the port to the city center ? It will be nice if we have instruction as for how to get there from the port Hope you could help us.

Thanks.

We reserved a walking tour with Coiste, we are supposed to meet at Divis Tower which is a 20 storey building on the edge of the city centre at the junction of Divis Street and the Fall's Road. The tour starts at 12:30, we are planning to get off the ship around 10 and walk to the city center and explore little before the tour. How far from the port to the city center ? It will be nice if we have instruction as for how to get there from the port.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! Great information! We will be in Belfast in August and so excited. Thanks for the tip on the city sight seeing tour. If we do this sight seeingntour after the Titanic Museum, and take it full circle, with our last stop being the museum, is it easy to get a taxi from the Titanic Museum back to the ship? Thanks for your help.

• 1 month later...
We reserved a walking tour with Coiste, we are supposed to meet at Divis Tower which is a 20 storey building on the edge of the city centre at the junction of Divis Street and the Fall's Road. The tour starts at 12:30, we are planning to get off the ship around 10 and walk to the city center and explore little before the tour. How far from the port to the city center ? It will be nice if we have instruction as for how to get there from the port.

Thanks

Hi there, the port to the city centre is about a 1.5-2mile walk. Whenever you get off the ship you can't miss the city as you will see all of the tall buildings. As for Divis Tower, you will be shattered if you walk from the port to the city centre, to Divis. You might be better getting a taxi part of the way and the taxis are reasonably priced. The black cabs are more expensive though. Fona Cab and Value cab are the two main taxi providers. PM me if you need any more info.

Hi! Great information! We will be in Belfast in August and so excited. Thanks for the tip on the city sight seeing tour. If we do this sight seeingntour after the Titanic Museum, and take it full circle, with our last stop being the museum, is it easy to get a taxi from the Titanic Museum back to the ship? Thanks for your help.

Very easy! I am pretty sure there is a taxi freephone in the museum but if not if you ask a member of staff they'll direct you in the right place. Is only 10 mins drive and the likelihood is you will see your ship from the museum.

Bubblesqueaker, we plan on walking as my son uses a wheelchair and it is often impossible to find a cab with a lift or ramp. Can you give me any tips for using a wheelchair in Belfast? Are there curb cuts at the corners? Thank you very much for any advice.

• 2 weeks later...
Bubblesqueaker, we plan on walking as my son uses a wheelchair and it is often impossible to find a cab with a lift or ramp. Can you give me any tips for using a wheelchair in Belfast? Are there curb cuts at the corners? Thank you very much for any advice.

Belfast is very wheelchair friendly and we have numerous taxis that provide for wheelchair users too. Kerbs are lowered for wheelchair access and most places have disabled toilets etc! I have first hand experience with both my mum and father in law - you will have no problems!

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to hear from anyone who has done a walking tour of Belfast.

How did you get from the ship to the city?

How long did it take?

where does the shuttle leave you?

How was the walking tour?

thank you

I'd like to hear from anyone who has done a walking tour of Belfast.

How did you get from the ship to the city?

How long did it take?

where does the shuttle leave you?

How was the walking tour?

thank you

Hi there, I am a local and haven't obviously done the walking tour but could answer the rest...

How did you get from the ship to the city? You can walk (about 10 minutes, v straightforward, get a local metro bus which will take about 5 mins or get a taxi which should cost you about £5)

How long did it take? ^^

where does the shuttle leave you? Belfast is quite compact so you can't miss the city and it is very accessible.

How was the walking tour? You could do this yourself. Points of interest would be St Anne's Cathedral, Crown Bar, City Hall - and if you have time the Titanic Museum (it is the other side of the port, you will dock facing it). The best way I think to see the culture is the red HoHo bus. I have done this a few times and it shows you most places you'd want to see, it's about £10 each.

Hope this helps!

Bubblesqueaker,

Thanks for the info. I've been in touch with a couple different companies offering walking tours around the city, but haven't booked one yet. Do you think it's worth doing and do you have any suggestions on one tour company over another?

Thanks

Hey, I have never done a walking tour of Belfast so can't help out. As a teacher I have arranged quite a few exchange trips. We always book with Belfast City Sightseeing Tours which is also a HoHo. The tour itself takes about 1.5hour if you stay on without getting off but it shows you the things about Belfast that make it famous. It really depends what you are in to.

Archived