Fantastic time on S.S. Legacy with UnCruise Adventures

zigsma

This was our 7th cruise to Alaska.... 3 on Princess, 2 on RCCL, 1 on Celebrity and now on Un-Cruise Adventures aboard the S.S. Legacy. We are spoiled rotten by this cruise. We decided to try to small ship cruise where we could get in closer to the glaciers, be a bit more pampered with only 88 passengers and 33 crew to take care of you....BUT... we were totally not ready for the cruise we got. Upon arrival we found out we were just 2 of 16 passengers for this Aug 3 Juneau to Ketchikan cruise. It's not because of the ship or line (the cruise before us was 54 passengers and then 74 after us and the one this week is 80. It was just a fluke and boy oh boy what lucky timing for us. From the minute you arrive you are treated like family. Of course with only 16 of us we all new each others names, as did the crew, within the first 2 days. Captain Dano was fabulous! Not only a wonderful, professional captain but the sort of guy who goes that extra mile to keep his passengers happy. My husband and I are early risers and we'd hit the hot tub on the top deck about 5:30 each morning. On several occasions, Captain Dano would come by and ask if we need more coffee or anything he could do. Not the kind of thing you see on Princess or RCCL or any other mega ship for that matter. Everything is included in the price of this cruise including all food, drinks (including alcohol), shore excursions (of which we got a few more things thrown in because of our tiny group), transfers to/from airport. The only thing you pay is gratuities which are SO deserved of this crew. Jason our bartender and his helper Shawn were fantastic. You didn't need to tell them twice what you liked and if you wanted something different they would bend over backward to provide. In fact I asked for a drink which required something they were out of and Jason went into town at the next stop and got it for us. Others had asked for specific wines and they were gladly provided. The food was spectacular. Jeff, our chef was terrific as was Lee, the baker. I can thank him for the 7 lbs I put on over the week. No will power when it comes to his desserts!! The room stewards/servers were extremely pleasant and again, with only 16 of us and 28 crew we were able to get to know them well. Ryan, our historian and Kenny, Peter and Julie were terrific in taking us back in time (including themed nights with authentic dress) and give us so much interesting information on Alaska. Our last morning the 16 of us planned to surprise the crew. We all showed up for breakfast in our fluffy white robes. The crew had a huge laugh with all of us. It was a tearful good-bye to other passengers and crew from this very special cruise. For anyone wanting something different, more personal and up close and personal viewing of wildlife in Alaska, this is the cruise for you. It's not cheap but it's worth every cent! I'm sure their Hawaii, Mexico, Baja, and their very popular Columbia River cruise would be wonderful. Hummm, I think the river cruise will be next for us.

Thanks for this! We've been eyeing the Uncruise trips. We, too, have found we love the smaller ships, but for the past 15 years, ours have all been the sailing tall-ships, ranging in size from 12-70 passengers. Just what you describe! And sailing, too. The Uncruise itineraries have intrigued us, and recent Uncruise reports have been so positive that we may have to set aside the sails to try one of these cruises.

• 1 month later...