Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Key West

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old March 28th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Key West Beaches

My husband, daughter, son-in-law and I will be on the Freedom in May. Can you tell me where the best beaches for swimming and laying out would be? Can you take the trolley to get there?
thanks

Old March 28th, 2010, 06:41 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by catty View Post
My husband, daughter, son-in-law and I will be on the Freedom in May. Can you tell me where the best beaches for swimming and laying out would be? Can you take the trolley to get there?
thanks
The beaches are all along the south side of the island right next to each other.

Carnival Valor 10/26/14, Celebrity Constellation 1/20/14, Carnival Victory 10/10/13 & 10/14/13, NCL Dawn 11/11/12, NCL Sky 10/1/10, Carnival Victory 4/18/10, NCL Sky 10/30/09, Carnival Splendor 4/26/09, Carnival Destiny 10/30/08 & 11/3/08, Carnival Fantasy 5/12/08, Carnival Liberty 10/13/07, Carnival Ecstasy 5/10/07, Carnival Fantasy 1/8/07, Carnival Valor 5/14/06, Carnival Victory 6/12/05,NCL: SS Norway 06/2000

Old March 28th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you for the map. I heard some of the beaches were not as nice as others, just wondering if anyone had been there lately!

Old March 28th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Smathers Beach

I just watched a show on the Travel Channel yesterday titled "Ten Best Beaches of Florida". Smathers Beach in Key West was one of the top ones listed. It looked very nice. And by very nice I mean lots of women walking around in thong bikini's.

Old March 28th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Unhappy

We've been to Key West many times. Compared to other places in Florida, or even the Keys, Key West beaches are not the greatest.
Smathers Beach is a little better than the others. We always seem to have a lot of seaweed when we are there. Maybe it is just our bad luck.
I would enjoy the action on Duval St. and have a beach day somewhere else. It's just my opinion, please don't flame me!

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 28th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

I agree with a pp. I love Key West....but I don't go there for the beach. Compared to other places in FL and in the Caribbean, the beaches are frankly "eh".

With that being said there are some cool things to do in Key West. Great Snorkeling....good shopping....and if you love marine life, there are some excellent dolphin excurions. Right off of Key West there is an area that is referred to as the "dolphin playground". It's not unusual to see 6 or 7+ different pods of dolphins.

~ Shelley ~

"There's a place, where the boat leaves from
It takes away all of your big problems
You got worries you can drop them in the blue ocean
But you gotta get away to where the boat leaves from
Take one part sand, and one part sea, one part shade of a banana tree
And the drinks they're cold and the reggae is hot
And I know this is the place for me"

~ Zac Brown Band

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Past Sailings:
Carnival Sensation - W. Caribbean- March 2004

Carnival Liberty - E. Caribbean - Sept 2009
Carnival Spirit - Alaska - Sept 2010
Carnival Freedom - So. Caribbean - April 2012
Carnival Paradise - Cozumel - February 2013

Old March 28th, 2010, 09:13 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by versuco View Post
We've been to Key West many times. Compared to other places in Florida, or even the Keys, Key West beaches are not the greatest.
Smathers Beach is a little better than the others. We always seem to have a lot of seaweed when we are there. Maybe it is just our bad luck.
I would enjoy the action on Duval St. and have a beach day somewhere else. It's just my opinion, please don't flame me!
No flame. Your advice is dead on. All the beaches are man-made and somewhat less than desirable when compared to the Atlantic coast or the gulf beaches on the panhandle of Florida.

Mike

Old March 29th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by catty View Post
thanks
For one-dayers off a cruise ship, the best would be the beach at Fort Zachery Taylor...

http://www.fortzacharytaylor.com/

It's about 6 - 7 blocks down Whitehead once you are off the docks, there is an admission fee, but then you can rent chaors, snorkeling equipment, and have a drink if you like. It's close enough so that you could spend a morning there, go back to the ship and change, then explore Duval Street.

Pjk

Old April 3rd, 2010, 12:41 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_krynicki View Post
For one-dayers off a cruise ship, the best would be the beach at Fort Zachery Taylor...

http://www.fortzacharytaylor.com/

It's about 6 - 7 blocks down Whitehead once you are off the docks, there is an admission fee, but then you can rent chaors, snorkeling equipment, and have a drink if you like. It's close enough so that you could spend a morning there, go back to the ship and change, then explore Duval Street.

Pjk

we did this last year. had a great time.
Navigator of the Seas Sept 7, 2014, Independence of the Seas Mar 29, 2014, Allure of the Seas Nov 17 2013, Oasis of the Seas May 25 2013, Liberty of the Seas Nov 25 2012, Liberty of the Seas Nov 29 2012, Liberty of the Seas March 2012, Carnival Freedom Sept 2011, Majesty of the Seas Jan 2011, Mariner of the Seas May 2010, Carnival Fantasy September 2009, Majesty of the Seas March 2009, Freedom of the seas May 2008, Carnival Triumph July 2007, Majesty of the seas July 2006, Explorer of the Seas May 2005, Carnival Destiny April 2002, Sovereign of the seas July 2001, Monarch of the seas January 1999, Sovereign of the seas Feb 1998, Viking Serenade April 1997, Big Red Boat June 1996, Song of America October 1995

Old April 3rd, 2010, 09:21 PM
5,000+ Club

Another vote for the beach at Fort Zacahary Taylor Sate Park. The scenery is beautiful. I love the Australain pines. They whisper in the breeze.

Old April 16th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default Save your beach day

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Key West, but the beaches (even Key West's best beach), doesn't compare to the other islands. Enjoy some of the unique things to do in Key West and Save your beach day for one of the other islands. They are all man made and tourists complain about the beaches (or lack of) more than ANYTHING else in Key West.