Best world cruise 2017

Balcony Lounger

Keith I appreciate your comments and would love to hear more from you. I am not financially able to do a world cruise now but I have a few in mind that I am watching. The cruise below, will probably be too short to count as a world cruise but I'd love to hear any comments anyone has about this cruise line or the itinerary.

Holland America

29 Night Baltic Adventure & Viking Passage - Zuiderdam

** I did read the Holland American page and I will also post this on that page.

Departing from: Copenhagen, Denmark

Date: August 09, 2016 – September 07, 2016

Ports of Call: Warnemunde (Berlin), Germany • Tallinn, Estonia • St. Petersburg, Russian Federation • Helsinki, Finland • Stockholm, Sweden • Kiel (Hamburg), Germany • Goteborg (Gothenburg), Sweden • Helsingborg, Sweden • Bergen, Norway • Akureyri, Iceland • Cruise Eyjafjordur, Iceland • Isafjordur, Iceland • Cruise Isafjardardjup • Reykjavik, Iceland • Cruise Prins Christian Sund, Greenland • Qaqortoq, Greenland • Nanortalik, Greenland • St. John's, Newfoundland • Halifax, Nova Scotia • New York, New York

is this itinerary not great.

All comments will be greatly appreciated.

• 2 months later...

I think in this case its quite easy. You already made a world cruise in 2012 on the Pacific Princess...

The Insignia is the SAME ship or should I say sister ship. Same layout, same class.

Now its run by Oceania, decorated differently, different food etc etc.

But as for the size you know exactly what to expect.

P

They all have pro's and con's.

If I had illimited budget Id go Crystal even if id like my world cruise to actually be a world cruise ( around the globe or almost, not around an ocean )

The truest world cruise is the Insignia one. 180 days, stops everywhere, etc etc. around the globe, Oceania superb food ( usually ) but entertainment would be minimal

Now since I am on a budget. I could only afford the prices of either Princess, HAL or Cunard.

Then I personnaly would go with the itinary. For me id like my world cruise to go around Africa instead of the med. Ive done the med many times already.

So for 2017 that would bring me to Cunard Queen Elisabeth. I can live around the rest like formal nights or not etc etc.

Pete

Edited by PeteBull64

Keith I appreciate your comments and would love to hear more from you. I am not financially able to do a world cruise now but I have a few in mind that I am watching. The cruise below, will probably be too short to count as a world cruise but I'd love to hear any comments anyone has about this cruise line or the itinerary.

Holland America

29 Night Baltic Adventure & Viking Passage - Zuiderdam

** I did read the Holland American page and I will also post this on that page.

Departing from: Copenhagen, Denmark

Date: August 09, 2016 – September 07, 2016

Ports of Call: Warnemunde (Berlin), Germany • Tallinn, Estonia • St. Petersburg, Russian Federation • Helsinki, Finland • Stockholm, Sweden • Kiel (Hamburg), Germany • Goteborg (Gothenburg), Sweden • Helsingborg, Sweden • Bergen, Norway • Akureyri, Iceland • Cruise Eyjafjordur, Iceland • Isafjordur, Iceland • Cruise Isafjardardjup • Reykjavik, Iceland • Cruise Prins Christian Sund, Greenland • Qaqortoq, Greenland • Nanortalik, Greenland • St. John's, Newfoundland • Halifax, Nova Scotia • New York, New York

is this itinerary not great.

All comments will be greatly appreciated.

I am so sorry I didn't see your post sooner.

While not a world cruise it is a wonderful itinerary and one that will take you to lots of nice places.

It looks great to me.

Keith

In the end there is no best world cruise. There is no best anything because what is best for me is not best for someone else. If we all thought the same there would be maybe three cruise lines (one for each budget)

For some best on a world cruise is a lot of sea days. For others it's about the ports. For some they want specific itineraries.

And even if the price was the same for all world cruises for some a smaller ship would be ideal and for others a medium or large ship would be idea.

The key is to do the homework ahead of time.

And while some people don't do this my recommendation to sail the ship and cruise line on a getaway cruise before you make up your mind to be sure you will be happy with the cruise line and the ship because after all most world cruises are 100 plus days.

I have met people who didn't do this. For many it worked out well but for others it did not.

Keith

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Balcony, if you do decide to take a test run with Oceania, it might help to know that they have 2 different classes of ship. The Insignia, along with the Regatta, Nautica, and Sirena are smaller and referred to as Regatta Class. Passenger capacity is 684. At approx. twice the gross tonnage, the Oceania Class includes the Marina and the Riviera with passenger capacity of 1,258.

It's now 12+ long cruises for us. Our 2016 'TestDrive' will be another 30-day Transatlantic. First was PRINSENDAM, now aboard ZUIDERDAM. We are ready for something new. QUESTION To Keith or Balcony: What will mostly determine your RTW...the ship or Itinerary?

Locomotiveman Tom

I agree with several of the comments made:

1. The best world cruise is only determined by you, what is best to one is not to another.

2. Oceania has the most complete itinerary

3. There is a risk doing a WC on a line you have never sailed on before.

I am tending to consider which actual Vessel before pondering an itinerary. ie CapeTown, Vancouver or anything in between will always offer up something good, BUT long Sea-days of misery can be painful. My CHANDRIS experience was, ahem....not idyllic. Locomotiveman Tom

Retractable Roof over Pool area is a Major factor on long cruises for us. And walk-around Teak Promenade with ample loungers. A continual scrum for a deck chair is the Shipyard's Architects fault. Not an uncommon issue even on newer Vessels I note. Private Mega-verandas ease the issue somewhat I suppose. Locomotiveman Tom