HAL's Prinsendam

tim agg

We have returned from Prinsendam's Mediterranean and transatlantic cruise (Nov 1 - 24), with our best-ever experience in connecting with gay pax. Ports, and food and service were all excellent; the entertainment was pretty good too. The ship's program noted the LGBT get together in the Crows Nest each afternoon, attended by a core group of 8-12, with others drifting by - there were at least that many more on board, but somewhat less social. We were as diverse (ages, where we lived, politics, life experiences, etc) as one might expect, friendly and inclusive. I confess to a sentimental attachment to "Friends of Dorothy" but, hey, if Holland America is comfortable with "LGBT" I shall be the very last to question them! Should you be eyeing the Prinsendam's November 8 2010 Athens to Fort Lauderdale sailing, that there are at least two gay couples from our cruise booked on it and a fine time can be assured. Please see the Prinsendam Roll Calls. Prinsendam shows her (1988) age, but she is a beautiful and elegant ship of just the right size for exploring.

Glad to hear you had a good crossing..I did a NYC to Barcelona in her a few years back - I loved the ship & she sailed beautifully....the aft pool & promenade deck were favorite spots - she was showing her age then but teh passenger mix & officers onboard were fun....

We leave soon for an Azamara Journey cruise & just last nite I mentioned the PRINSENDAM & wished the cruise was on her.....

Cheers

Prinsendam is one of my favorite ships as well! We did a transatlantic on her a couple of years ago from Lisbon to Ft. Lauderdale. Got a suite for a great price then!

There were a few gay couples on board and while there were no regular get togethers, we had some chats.

One of the couples had their anniversary on the cruise and the Maitre d' organized a romantic dinner under the stars for them. They put up a table on one of the upper sundecks, behind one of the wind breakers and brought them their dinner course by course.

All of the crew we met were really nice and when we came back on the ship about half a year later for a cruise around Iceland and Ireland, the hotel director even remembered our names when we met him on the gangway the first day.

Looking forward to cruise on her again someday.

Marc

• 1 month later...

Anyone on the 21 day cruise on the Prinsendam May 17th Ft Lauderdale to Amsterdam? I am looking forward to the many interesting ports of call.

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

387 days at sea

33 cruises

11 cruise lines

T/P, T/A, Hawaii, Central & South America, New Zealand & South Pacific

Booked

21 day TA HAL Prinsondam May 2010

12 day TA Norigian Sun Oct 2010

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well its getting hot down here in FLA and I'm starting to think about sailing north, and I mean really north! As if Iceland last year was too tropical, how about Spitzbergen? Prinsendam is leaving July 9 from Amsterdam for French and Spanish ports, then into London for 2 nights before heading north into Scotland, Faroe Is, Iceland, Spitzbergen and Norway. Unless ofcourse the volcano blows us off our route! :eek: Anybody else?

just take a dip in the aft pool & order lots of cocktails.....

bon voyage....

Well its getting hot down here in FLA and I'm starting to think about sailing north, and I mean really north! As if Iceland last year was too tropical, how about Spitzbergen? Prinsendam is leaving July 9 from Amsterdam for French and Spanish ports, then into London for 2 nights before heading north into Scotland, Faroe Is, Iceland, Spitzbergen and Norway. Unless ofcourse the volcano blows us off our route! :eek: Anybody else?

Archived