Melbourne excursion help

Alaskanb

Excursions have just been posted for our Feb 2015 cruise. I would like to do an excursion that includes a wildlife sanctuary and a winery. The choices include lunch at either the Fergusson or Rochford winery. The Fergusson winery does not have good reviews. Any comments re the meal at either winery.

We do not want to do an independent full day winery tour.

Edited by Alaskanb

• 2 weeks later...

My wife is from Melbourne, so I have been there about a dozen times. We have done pretty much all the touristy things there. I would highly recommend the penguin parade on Phillips Island if you have the time. If you are only in Melbourne for a day, I would recommend the Healsville Sanctuary. It contains all Australian animals. There are a ton of independent day tour operators from Melbourne, so there is no need to take the ship's excursions. It's been awhile since we have done the wine tastings, so i won't comment on the wineries in the area.

My wife is from Melbourne, so I have been there about a dozen times. We have done pretty much all the touristy things there. I would highly recommend the penguin parade on Phillips Island if you have the time. If you are only in Melbourne for a day, I would recommend the Healsville Sanctuary. It contains all Australian animals. There are a ton of independent day tour operators from Melbourne, so there is no need to take the ship's excursions. It's been awhile since we have done the wine tastings, so i won't comment on the wineries in the area.

Thanks. Healsville is #1 on my list. :)

If you do the Puffing Billy & the Parrots a ships shore excursion and you go to the Dandenong ranges by coach, a short ride on a vintage steam train through some great Australian bush scenery . Then a wisit to a wildlife bird park .

As a local I have never heard of either winery you named .

If you want to do the winery thing then take the ships shore excursion to the Yarra Valley taht includes wineries and wine tasting, and I think the wildlife sanctuary at Healesville .

The second is quite along way from the ship and best done as a ships excursion as you may well get lost on your own .

Fergussons have been doing tour lunches for at least 20 years, and it's about that long since I had a tour lunch there. ;)

Bear in mind that no matter how good a restaurant is, tour group meals are quite different from dining there as a couple or foursome.

Some restaurants excell at catering for groups others, including a number of top ranked restaurants, do not do so well, with poor service and average food.