What is this? (technical question)

Armitage Shanks

There's one thing on the Island Escape that's rather peculiar. I haven't seen it on any other ships and I know the Island Escape didn't have it in its early days.

In the picture below, look at the aft of the ship. It looks like there's a platform on the end. It also goes along the sides too, but it's not so clear in the picture.

rssfhy.jpg

Obviously it's not a platform but does anyone have any idea what it's for and why other ships don't have it?

It's a cutout on the diagram not a platform. Showing deck 10 and deck 8 under, missing out deck 9. Above is the outside eating area and the Beachcomber on deck 10 and the Bounty Lounge under with the Cafe Brasil overlooking the sea.:):)

Jan

Hi Jan

I think they are talking about the white bit at back near the water line.:confused:

Just a quick question - When you got your etickets were there any luggage labels to print off? I have seen some people complaining about them on other forums but don't recall any mention on IE or Thomson forums.

The weather has turned and it is absolutely freezing. No sign of snow yet but I believe it's not very far from us.:eek:

Are you packed?

Jan:)

It's a cutout on the diagram not a platform. Showing deck 10 and deck 8 under, missing out deck 9. Above is the outside eating area and the Beachcomber on deck 10 and the Bounty Lounge under with the Cafe Brasil overlooking the sea.:):)

Jan

Keep up at the back please :p ;)

Hi Jan

Just a quick question - When you got your etickets were there any luggage labels to print off? I have seen some people complaining about them on other forums but don't recall any mention on IE or Thomson forums.

Hi Jan (Skion) (so many Jan's:))

You do not get luggage labels now, when you get to the airport, they put them on for you as you get into the queue. I think this is even done for hotel holidays now.

We did have to print off luggage labels for our Princess cruise last year, but that was going from Southampton. I don't know how they would fare going through airports:eek:

Hi Linda

Many thanks for the reply about luggage labels. ( think Jan must have gone out to get her last minute bits and pieces and she was "live" when I posted. I don't really want labels anyway. It is the bar code the airport puts on that is the important thing and the cabin number for the other end. Three weeks and counting.:D

Hi Jan, Jan, Linda, Jan, Linda and all lol.

Oh! that bit at the bottom. I haven't seen that before, a nice little ledge for the swimmers to dive off, lol.:D:D

Not packed yet but nearly ironed all the stuff to go and it's all on hangers. Got a couple of little tubes of factor 30 in the pound shop, nice and handy for pockets or rucksack while we're out and about. Printed off the cruise list for packing. I've got different lists for hotel holidays, camping, caravanning, etc., etc.

I keep forgetting it's Good Friday this week and we're off on Easter Sunday. Strange but good that it's a no child cruise and I suppose that's why the price wasn't too high.

Cold here too and grey, now my brown little face looks a strange shade of yellow, lol.:eek:

Jan

I was going to say the ledge was for people to dive off but thought you'd all take the p. As then I thought wouldn't it be too close to the propeller or whatever its called. Now you can take the p :o

OK will put you all out of your misery:

When the island Escape was MS Scandinavia back when it was a car ferry and the Lorry's and cars were being loaded, that piece that sticks out was a form of balancing unit so when more load was put on the "ferry" it was equalising the weight so more weight, less balance to keep the ferry on an even keel

there now you know :p

Never bull s*** a bull***** :eek:

Actualy, most ferries have this, it is for when they sit up against the dock when loading and discharging the cars and freight, i worked at Dover Harbour for fifteen years as a span man, we called it either a skirt or apron, on the dover ferries they are shaped to fit into what we called the shoe, they also have them on the front aswell, in diferent shapes and forms. Hope this helps.;)

Archived