Which cruiseline to Alaska

che5904

OK I have a question about which cruise to take to Alaska. First of all I am an NCL fan because I love freestyle and all the greatness of it. But this trip is not for me but my 82 year old FIL.

He is not made of money so the high priced cruises and the suite life on NCL is out. He would be traveling alone so I think he would benefit from traditional dining where he would meet other cruisers as well as more structured activities instead of so many choices. Although he really wouldn’t like the dress to the 9’s part of more traditional cruises. He also is not a well seasoned traveler and hasn’t traveled alone since he was in his early 20’s. He walks slow but his health is good.

Without being cheerleaders for the cruise of your commitment can anyone give me some feed back on why my 82 yr old FIL may like a particular line.

Traveling solo will jack up the price for your grandfather

Father-in-law (not grandfather) but thanks for the compliment though since I'm in my 50's myself. Yes I realize that he would be paying double occupancy, which is one of the reasons that I would like a less expensive cruiseline.

We are trying to find someone that can take the time to go with him, but right now we haven't so I'm looking for what might be the best fit without.

Considering that Alaska is all about Alaska, and not so much the cruiseship, I'd go by dates and prices....Consider the ship simply transportation and hotel....he won't need the "bells and whistles" that make some of the newer ships popular with families and younger folks...he'll want decent food, a comfortable cabin and the ports that interest him. That's how I'd approach it.

Considering that Alaska is all about Alaska, and not so much the cruiseship, I'd go by dates and prices....Consider the ship simply transportation and hotel....he won't need the "bells and whistles" that make some of the newer ships popular with families and younger folks...he'll want decent food, a comfortable cabin and the ports that interest him. That's how I'd approach it.

I do agree with all of that, my only concern was with traveling alone that traditional dining might be nicer as he would then meet other cruisers and perhaps have some company if only at dinner. But as I said he really isn't into the dressing for dinner.

HAL seems to be oriented to a more mature traveler, but it also tends to be a more formal. If he doesn't like to dress up, it may be too much.

On another subject, have you considered getting him a traveling companion? Since you are going to have to pay for double occupancy anyway, you might be able to find a friend or trusted acquaintance who could go along and provide some companionship. My DD has a disablity which pretty much requires that she have someone along. She would prefer not to cruise on HAL (I think she's more the Carnaval type) with us. We have considered paying for a roomate so that she can vacation separate from us. You can set it up so that they pay for their own ship board costs (like booze, photos, tips etc) so that you're not stuck with those.

John

we think Princes is king

Thanks I'm glad it works for you. I was looking really for reasons it might be a good fit for my FIL. Do you have to dress up for dinner for the diningrooms. Is there good viewing areas inside and out for all weather conditions?

We, very much, enjoyed the company of many seniors your FIL's age on the Coral Princess. This was a one way from Vancouver to Anchorage (Whittier). The formal dress codes were more relaxed on this voyage as well as the average age was older. We had some very interesting and delightful conversations with these older cruisers and I am certain your FIL would have many stories to share himself.

As far as viewing areas, these ships have many areas for great viewing both inside and out. Plus they have speakers who give great lectures broadcast to all decks.

I would consider a Princess guarantee inside cabin, maybe a Seattle R/T. This would keep costs down and he may get a final cabin assignment in a more desirable location.

I hope this works out for you.

Larry

Thanks I'm glad it works for you. I was looking really for reasons it might be a good fit for my FIL. Do you have to dress up for dinner for the diningrooms. Is there good viewing areas inside and out for all weather conditions?

We did the Golden Princess last June. Most men seemed to wear khakis and a polo shirt, formal night would be dressier. There was plenty of viewing areas inside and out. We really enjoyed the lectures from the naturalist.

If your FIL is looking for more casual dress for dinner, maybe you can check into Carnival?

I think any line to Alaska would be fine. We've sailed Princess twice there, Celebrity once, and Carnival once. Our first on NCL will be next May. All were very similar in dress code and traditional dining is an option on each.

I would suggest looking into the smaller ships? Celebrity Mercury was the smallest we've sailed to Alaska, and I enjoyed the ease of getting around (and I'm half his age).

If he's looking for inexpensive, there are bargains to be had on most cruiselines if you keep your eyes open. That's why we sail so many different lines :) . But we are happy inside since we like to be out and about during the day, anyway. We generally sail Alaska, mid-late May, and book when we find cabins in $400 to $500 (USD) range.

Also, check out the Solo-Cruiser messageboard here. They probably have some wonderful tips.

Archived