Tangier - half day

mgreeneyes

We did it in Aug 2011 and just went ashore ourselves. Not a common way to do it though, but we are 'well travelled'.

Memorable sites included The American Legation, which is basically a museum - found info on the web, but had to ask a local the way as we got near, as the entrance was well hidden and door closed. They just had a collection box at the end - we gave the doorman a tip and he put it in the box.

We also had lunch in the 'Hotel Continental' - an old hotel on the edge of the medina with a brilliant view of the port - good food as well. A drink would be OK I suspect and they have a souvenier shop if the souks are too much effort!!!

We also searched out 'The Cafe de Paris', which was the traditional hangout of the arty ex pats in the past - a bit further away in the new town, but walkable if not too hot - of lesser importance I would say.

A Morrocan guide book is worth obtaining if you can. We usually find one of two in our local library.

Enjoy

Just one point my husband reminded me about if anyone thinks of lunching in The Hotel Continental - they do not take card payment. Euro's were fine and we just managed it!!!! Small morrocan change was greatly appreciated by a couple of beggars round the back of the Mosque - not a particularly touristy venue so we felt they were genuinely needy.

In fact, the worst point of our visit was when we came across a 'stickered' tour group from the ship and a couple of people said hello to us! Our invisible cloak suddenly disappeared and we were targeted by touts galore. We find dressing down and not looking lost is a great way to get about in Africa, so it was time to backtrack and loose the group. Worked wonders.

• 3 weeks later...

My husband and I just came back from the 42 day Atlantic cruise on Maasdam.

We used the services of an excellent guide in Tangier and I strongly recommend his services.

In Tangiers, we dealt with Touami. He is the ex president of the Association of the guides for Morocco and owns his travel agency. tangiertravel@hotmail.com

www.tangier-travel.com For a mere $35 USD (Morocco is the only country on this trip where guides take willingly USD) you will visit the caves of Hercules, Cape Spartel, the Kasbah, the old medina, etc. Again, excellent and informative tour. You will even have the opportunity to ride a camel (for $2 extra).

Touami knows every guide in Tangiers and everyone in the medina (they all call him by his name!). He has lots of ressources and can offer multi busses and guides. We were 3 groups from the ship using the same agency and travelling independently in small mini busses.

You cannot go wrong with this professional guide.:D

Archived