Snorkeling shark Alley/hol chan Caye Caulker?

Bimmie Girl

We will be in Belize for our anniversary in Feb sailing on the Emerald. We know what we want to do and that is to snorkel at Shark Alley and Hol Chan and spend time on Caye Caulker. the problem is who to book with? have read reviews on Coral Breeze, Startour, Island Marketing.......which is best and most reliable to book with for this kind of tour?

Is there another company that may be better than the above mentioned?

Not here much anymore since we gave up cruising for AI's, but after a horrible experience with Coral Breeze I would take a water taxi to Caulker and hire a local boat from there, a 4 minute ride.

SANY2384.jpg

Edited by TXSAIL

Not here much anymore since we gave up cruising for AI's, but after a horrible experience with Coral Breeze I would take a water taxi to Caulker and hire a local boat from there, a 4 minute ride.

SANY2384.jpg

I have read reviews that were both great and very bad. There will be another ship in port that day so we should get a bigger boat than the one you were on. the thing I am most impressed with is that I have emailed CB 3 times and each time, they have gotten back to me in less than 5 min. This is the main reason, we are willing to give them a try. We are going to take our chances, and I will be sure to write about them good or bad when we get back. I really do appreciate the warning and pic of the boat you were on, and hope this will not be "I told you so experience".

We are booked with Belize Exotic Adventures for December. They have very good ratings and reviews on TA. The only problem is they require a minimum of 8 for the excurion to go out. They will let me now 30 days prior to my cruise if the excursion is not going and them I will book with the cruise line.

No deposit required either.

• 2 weeks later...

We are also looking for a private tour in Belize. What is the info on the Belize Exotic Adventures? We are a family of 4, let us know! We are also on Carnival Liberty 12/20/14!

Edited by dalvay

We will be on the Celebrity Equinox in Feb. I booked shark ray, hol chan & caye caulker thru shoreexcursioneer and its Splash Waves doing the excursion. I've read both good & bad about Splash Waves, but the last 6-8 months seems all good, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed ;)

Yes, I did see this one. It will be myself and DS, my DH does not snorkel. He said noway on the flying part. He is worried about us getting back in time to make the ship.

Did you get the max 8 people for this private tour?

I have not heard back from them as of yet, I will follow up with them and let you know.

• 2 weeks later...
We will be on the Celebrity Equinox in Feb. I booked shark ray, hol chan & caye caulker thru shoreexcursioneer and its Splash Waves doing the excursion. I've read both good & bad about Splash Waves, but the last 6-8 months seems all good, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed ;)

We're on the Feb. 1st cruise on the Equinox and are interested in booking this excursion. What date in Feb. are you cruising?

Louise

• 2 weeks later...
We will be in Belize for our anniversary in Feb sailing on the Emerald. We know what we want to do and that is to snorkel at Shark Alley and Hol Chan and spend time on Caye Caulker. the problem is who to book with? have read reviews on Coral Breeze, Startour, Island Marketing.......which is best and most reliable to book with for this kind of tour?

Is there another company that may be better than the above mentioned?

We are a family of 5 on your ship looking for the same thing!! I like the air option, but need to find the company, as I've heard bad things about ShoreExcursioneers.

Landa

My two daughters and I are traveling to Belize on the Carnival Conquest in January. After scouring countless reviews on CC and Tripadvisor - we decided to take the water taxi over to Caye Caulker ourselves and book with the Caveman (#1 on tripadvisor). Unfortunately, he was already booked and recommended E-Z boy. I cannot find a single review of E-Z boy on CC. Anyone have any comments/recommendations? Our second choice would be Eco Tours.

We just came back from our cruise. We booked with Shore Excursioneer (Splash Wave Tours) and they were wonderful. I would book with them again no problem.The first compnay I booked with canceled on me 30 days before our cruise becasue they did not have enough people booked. We did have a tender problem....Let me start from the beginning.

My cruise documents said we would get to Belize at 8:00 am, which was 7;00am Belize time. Our excursion was to meet outside the gate at the port at 8:00 Belize time. We would have one hour to get off the ship. We had FTTF so we thought no problem....wrong. They had tender problems and we did not get off the ship until 11:00 ship time (10:00 Belize time). We figured our excursion would have left without us. Once at the port we dicided to look for the guide anyway. He was there waiting for us....2 hours late. We rushed to the boat and off we went with about 20 other people. We had a 45 minute boat ride to the snorkle area. First on the way we stopped to feed the Tarpen fish, that was cool. Once at the snorkle area the water was a little rough. Our entire excursion time was cut short becasue of us being late and they had to get us back to the port on time for the last tender. We saw many fish, coral and a big sea turtle. Once back on the boat we went

to swim with the sharks and rays. Again are time was cut short (not their fault). They feed the sharks from the boat and you could get in the water with them to swim. I was feeling a little sick so by the time I got in the water the sharks were gone. I did get to touch them from the boat. We saw a giant ray and a BIG shark swimming under us. Once back on the boat then to the island for lunch. Again cut short (not their fault). Then back on the boat and back to the port. They were very awear of time the whole time and keep reasuring us they would make it in time, which we did. As I mentioned in the beginning our experience was not the full experience because of the tender issue and being 2 hours late. We did not get to hold the shark or some of the other things like walk around the island after lunch because we did not have 1.5 hours there only 45 minutes. I recommend them 100% by our experience. Also, they had cold water and watermelon and other fruit for us on the boat.

Me feeding the Tarpen

DSCF6746_zps3b49b267.jpg

Nurse sharks from the boat

DSCF6792_zps4811718c.jpg

DSCF6793_zpse47bb4bd.jpg

Sea Turtle

DSCF6782_zpsdcb5846a.jpg

BIG Nurse Shark

DSCF6805_zps01c588ff.jpg

BIG Ray

DSCF6804_zpse9c22aaf.jpg

Edited by reno3

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the review. We are booked on March. Worried about tendering because we do not have FFTF. Glad to hear they waited. Hopefully we are able to get off the ship at a reasonable time.