handicapped prejudice on cunard?

nuekruizer

My mother and I are both sailing on QM2 on 28-October to Northampton. We both use mobility scooters. Ours are the small, collapsible Luggie scooters. At first they said we would have to book accessible cabins. I talked further and said these are smaller, collapsible, fit into the cabin easily and we can and do handle them ourselves. There was some discussion, and the final ruling was we could keep our original booking in one of the Penthouses with our scooters. I asked why the change of mind? I was told because the scooter will fit through the door and not be parked outside, we can handle it, and it's collapsible. Also, that for the most part, we are mobile. The thing they kept emphasizing was that our scooters can go through doorways with no problem, and that we can handle them ourselves, completely. We won't need Cunard staff to help us.

I'm glad you are sorted.

This is just another example of Cunard not knowing it's gluteus maximi from its cubitus. The rules as declared are that you can have a wheelchair or a scooter in an accessible cabin or a suite, which is what a Penthouse is. So anyone competent at the other end of the phone should have just been able to say, "yep, no problem".

Edited by Chunky2219

My mother and I are both sailing on QM2 on 28-October to Northampton. We both use mobility scooters. Ours are the small, collapsible Luggie scooters. At first they said we would have to book accessible cabins. I talked further and said these are smaller, collapsible, fit into the cabin easily and we can and do handle them ourselves. There was some discussion, and the final ruling was we could keep our original booking in one of the Penthouses with our scooters. I asked why the change of mind? I was told because the scooter will fit through the door and not be parked outside, we can handle it, and it's collapsible. Also, that for the most part, we are mobile. The thing they kept emphasizing was that our scooters can go through doorways with no problem, and that we can handle them ourselves, completely. We won't need Cunard staff to help us.

I don't know if this will help. I will say I love my Luggie scooter for travel. We both have the standard size mobility scooter at home as well. Having taken those on a Royal Caribbean cruise, the Luggie is much more convenient.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you both need the scooter to get around, or is it just for convenience to avoid walking?:confused:

Edited by luckymal

Do you both need the scooter to get around, or is it just for convenience to avoid walking?:confused:

Luckymal, when people are borderline then they need the scooter sometimes but not others. For example, if they traverse long passages by walking, then they may be too exhausted to enjoy the activity they have travelled towards. If you use a scooter then you conserve your energy and can participate when you get there.

I find that it's invariably because people enjoy the challenge and inconvenience of getting a bulky, usually heavy (for the user), problem to transport, item around with them. Airports, tour buses and steps are usually great favourites.

It's also very satisfying to enjoy having people think it's just a nice to have accessory for the idle, when you'd rather be casting off the pretence and skipping around the place.

I find that it's invariably because people enjoy the challenge and inconvenience of getting a bulky, usually heavy (for the user), problem to transport, item around with them. Airports, tour buses and steps are usually great favourites.

It's also very satisfying to enjoy having people think it's just a nice to have accessory for the idle, when you'd rather be casting off the pretence and skipping around the place.

It's harsh to generalise.

I have traveled several times on the QM2 with my scooter which fits fine thru the cabin entrance and is unobstrusive in the room. I walk with 2 canes but can not walk the length of the ship, so I need the scooter to get to certain venues. Other than that, I do not need an accessible cabin (which essentially has a wheelchair shower which I dont need.)

I was shocked to learn that ANY scooter must have a handicapped room. So when I tried to book a cruise which is a year from now, I was only offerred 2 cabin selections I was interested in. How disappointing that Cunard is severely limiting the number of ambulatory challenged people a place on their ship. As I am retiring soon I was hoping for several future cruises, but will probably have to plan a different line.:mad:

Since Cunard is an American Company they must provide you with reasonable accommodations like the ADA law for companies cruiselines and airlines have another clause that provides for reasonable accommodations. Perhaps someone with more experience can add to this. However the cruiseline can deny you from cruising if its for your own safety.

There was an article about a woman with Alzheimers(sp) who was not allowed to cruise and their entire family left the ship. The captain has the final say.

I would write to the corporate office to ask the reason for your situation.

If I understand the rules correctly, mobility scooters must not be left in cabin corridors under any circumstances. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I presume this is because it is felt that they block the passageway for other wheelchair users (the corridors not being wide enough for two chairs to pass).

Also, I assume that in the event of an emergency they could present an obstruction esp at times of reduced visibility (light failure or dense smoke conditions).

And they could also present an obstacle to the service carts when servicing the cabins.

So, how is this:

OK? (photo taken last month) ??? :confused:

I saw it being taken inside once (so it could go through the door). It was there overnight, every night, and for long periods during the day.

I hate to see a rule for one section of society, but a different rule for others.

Edited by pepperrn

I saw it being taken inside once (so it could go through the door). It was there overnight, every night, and for long periods during the day.

I hate to see a rule for one section of society, but a different rule for others.

Isn't that carriage also sitting in the entrance to the elevators........which would make it impossible for a wheelchair to even get into the hallway. Hard to believe that no one complained. I would have put it on the elevator and let the parents sort it out with Customer Relations in the morning. :eek:

Isn't that carriage also sitting in the entrance to the elevators........which would make it impossible for a wheelchair to even get into the hallway. Hard to believe that no one complained. I would have put it on the elevator and let the parents sort it out with Customer Relations in the morning.
Well spotted brigittetom, I am very impressed, it is indeed positioned directly opposite an entrance to a lift/stairs lobby and would have made it very difficult for wheelchair users to get into the corridor.

I confess, I didn't complain, but should have, and will do so next time I see this.

I love the idea of putting it in a lift so it could tour the ship. However, I'd not have had the nerve to do so.

Given that it folds up, and would easily fit in the cabin, I can't understand the selfish behaviour of the parents who didn't want it cluttering up their space, but didn't mind it it inconvenienced others :mad: .

Again, I am very impressed :)

Edited by pepperrn

obviously your scooter/chair can absolutely not ever stay in the hallway and must fitthru the cabin door. That said, I have a scooter because I can walk only short distances and will then be unable to walk back to my cabin on such a long ship. My scooter fits fine thru all doors as I have been in a balcony room aboard qm2 before. Now, Im told I must have a handicapped room whether the scooter fits or not. just the fact that you have a mobility handicap. I was told that even if I just had crutches, they would insist on a handicapped room,?? furthermore, they said no upgrades for handicapped persons with accessible cabins! I was forced to get a princess cabin as there were no available balcony rooms. so I had to pay double or not take my cruise. I did not force the issue.

Nuekrizer,

To my knowledge Cunard and sister line P&O are the only ones who have this particular rule about scooters and wheelchairs only being for adapted rooms and suites. None of the other lines went so badly overboard (forgive the pun) after the Concordia affair.

Maybe it's a reaction to Cunard having a larger proportion of wrinklies, but I'm not aware that Fred Olsen or Saga Cruises have such a rule. It was discussed here ad nauseum when the rules were changed. They now publish a short list of dinky little scooters that can be used in a normal cabin but as you've spotted, the people at the end of the phone are not always that sharp.

To my mind, the only possible effect will be to encourage the infirm to move to other lines, which, given the age profile on Cunard, doesn't strike me as a well thought out strategy.

The comment about crutches is absolutely appalling and if they'd said that to me I'd have been shaking the tree quite vigorously. Always, always ask for the disability team, who are generally quite helpful.

Edited by Chunky2219
typo

Your suggestion is well taken. I should have contacted the special needs team to argue my point. This is a short cruise that had few cabins left (I did not want inside or oceanview) and was anxious to secure a nice cabin.

There was one PG left so I jumped on it. Next time I will want to book a balcony cabin on a transatlantic and will be more forceful if need be. I would never consider being so thoughtless as to leave a scooter in someones path or hallway. Some people ruin it for all.

I'm on QM2 deck 10 right now. On embarkation day I passed a PG stateroom where there was a scooter in the alleyway and some conversation was going on with a crew member. I didn't stay around but it was probably an argument where the scooter owner didn't want to bring it inside. I cannot imagine anybody else who needed some mobility device being able to get past this thing had it been left out.