Windsor sidetrip?

Is Windsor a good option for an overnight when going out of Heathrow the next day? What would be a centrally located hotel there? Any restaurant tips? Have spent sufficient time in London, and had only a brief tour stop in Windsor, so are thinking about a return visit on the way home next year.

Yes, Windsor would be a very good place to spend one night - it is very convenient to LHR - I am not sure why they did build Windsor Castle so close to the airport though.....

There are many hotels and restaurants right in town - to eat I would recommend The River House http://www.windsorpubco.co.uk/riverhouse.html and to stay there is the Sir Christopher Wren hotel right on the bridge over to Eton

You want to be careful which train you take, as there are two stations in Windsor about a mile apart - Windsor and Eton by the river, and Windsor Central, closer to the castle entry and tourist area. One is reached from Paddington and one from, I think, Marylebone and I'm afraid I can't recall which is which. Worth checking if you're using the train.

You want to be careful which train you take, as there are two stations in Windsor about a mile apart - Windsor and Eton by the river, and Windsor Central, closer to the castle entry and tourist area. One is reached from Paddington and one from, I think, Marylebone and I'm afraid I can't recall which is which. Worth checking if you're using the train.

They are actually only about 1/4miles apart if that. See map link

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?hloc=GB|windsor#t=l&map=51.48511,-0.60601|16|4&loc=GB:51.47999:-0.60601:14|windsor|Windsor,%20Berkshire,%20England,%20SL4%201

Windsor and Eton Central is the royal station opposite the castle originally built for use by Queen Victoria. Trains from here run a shuttle service to Slough to connect with the main line into London Paddington run by First Great Western.

Windsor and Eton Riverside is just around the corner and trains operate direct to London Waterloo run by South West Trains.

For all UK rail details see National Rail Enquiries website

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/index.html

Brian

Hotels in Windsor are few and can be expensive. The Christopher Wren is 'the' place to stay at Windsor overlooking the Thames by Eton Bridge and a short walk up to the Castle.

If you are watching the dollars a new Travelodge has opened in the twon centre, rack rates are 70 GBP but they have offers when rooms are available as low as 19 GBP.

One other option is the Marriott Heathrow/Windsor. Its half way between Heathrow and Windsor. On one hand its connected to Heathrow a few times each hour by the Hotel Hoppa Bus and on the other a public bus takes about 30 minutes to Windsor that leaves from in front of the hotel.

Other Heathrow Hotels with the same public transport links are the Sheraton Park, Quality Hotel and Holiday Inn (Bath Road)

Yes, Windsor would be a very good place to spend one night - it is very convenient to LHR - I am not sure why they did build Windsor Castle so close to the airport though.....

There are many hotels and restaurants right in town - to eat I would recommend The River House http://www.windsorpubco.co.uk/riverhouse.html and to stay there is the Sir Christopher Wren hotel right on the bridge over to Eton

Strange that Edward 111 did appeal against the plnning consent for the airport in about 1350 with no luck regards

Archived