QM2 Christmas Cruising live thread

Underwatr

We’re already looking forward to next year, Safarigal.

Christmas Eve events included carols in the lobby (with ‘snow’ falling) after which little mince pies were served. On Christmas day Santa’s arrival was announced over the public address system he lead a parade down to the lobby for more carols and then on to gifts in the Queens Room. Queen Elizabeth’s Christmas address was shown in the Golden Lion as well as the Queens Room.

Traditional foods (roast goose, turkey with all the trimmings, Chateaubriand, old-fashioned Christmas pudding, etc.) were served both on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day dinners.

On our way to bridge lessons this morning we passed a cabin being deep decontaminated – so it appears that the bug may not be completely at bay. We will remain vigilant and wash our hands frequently.

The Boardwalk grill was open today at lunch. It’s a bit breezy up on deck 12 but it was possible to find a table on the leeward side of the superstructure and either sunny or shaded per one’s preference.

For those to whom it matters, sometime in the past year the ship switched from all Coca-Cola products to all Pepsi products. I slightly prefer Diet Pepsi over diet coke when I can’t get Coke Zero or Pepsi Max, so this is a small plus.

Tonight there was a special Christmas Day show in the Royal Court Theatre featuring a reading of A visit from Saint Nicholas, a very brief Christmas message from the Commodore, and violinist Gary Lovini had the audience eating out of his hand once again.

Thursday is our first port call in Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas USVI.

Thanks for the update - it really does sound lovely.

NOT GOOD NEWS ON THE COCA COLA FRONT!!!!:(:(:(

Looks like I will have to bring my own supply on board with me, hopefully that will not limit the champagne I also plan to bring with me!

For those to whom it matters, sometime in the past year the ship switched from all Coca-Cola products to all Pepsi products. I slightly prefer Diet Pepsi over diet coke when I can’t get Coke Zero or Pepsi Max, so this is a small plus.

Do they now have Pepsi Max as well as Diet Pepsi?

I wonder if all the ships have changed to Pepsi? If so, this would be a great late Christmas present to me. I'm on the QV World Voyage next month and am planing on buying the soda package. I prefer Pepsi to Coke. Wonder what the diet non caffeinated soda is?

Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip.

Don

This is indeed good new hope it is not a trial and remain so for the May Crossing:)

This is indeed good new hope it is not a trial, and remain so for the May Crossing:)

It is Tuesday, December 24.

Has anyone ever stayed awake during an Illuminations planetarium show? Laurence Fishburne’s voice can be very relaxing to listen to…

Merry belated Christmas!

I'm so envious of you. My mom and I used to cruise on the QM2 during the holidays, we haven't done it since 2011-2012 though. I have rarely stayed awake during an Illuminations planetarium show; and it was Harrison Ford's voice that put me to sleep; my mom falls asleep during them too.

Glad you liked the carols with the "snow" falling. One year, in 2010 I think, they didn't have any snow falling, I don't know if it had to do with the norovirus that was on the ship, but I missed it.

If you're ringing in the new year in the Queens Room make sure to get there EARLY, because the good seats go quickly. Also, after you ring in the New Year, there's usually a buffet in King's Court, with an ice sculpture and SHRIMP galore. Mom and I would usually grab some food and then go back to our cabin (usually in deck 6) to watch the ball drop from Times Square, since the ship's time is one hour ahead of NYC.

Edited by Ms.Eva

This is what I thought at the time when the snow machines were first tested on QM2:

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Most fun item in today's Daily Programme was:

A festive sprinkle

At 11.45am in the Grand Lobby, Deck 2

Come and experience snow for the first time in history in the Grand Lobby on Queen Mary 2 as we switch on and test our new snow machines for the holiday season. Not to be missed!

Well, we didn't miss it and neither did a thousand others. I've never seen a crowd before on QM2 as dense as the horde on Decks 2 and 3 by the Grand Lobby this morning. Two snow machines placed at the lower corners of that great what-ever-it-is art work that overlooks the Grand Lobby were spewing zillions of the tiniest snowflakes I ever seen up, over, and upon the throng. Obviously the machines worked, but if Cunard wants to get credit for an on-board snowfall at Christmas they should install another half dozen of them.

I saw a woman who had been standing under the brunt of the snowfall. The "snow" was piled at least four inches tall on top of her head.

We rode into downtown Charlotte Amalie in one of those strange taxi-buses built on a pickup truck chassis. I looked for the same camera in a downtown shop and there they were throwing in a memory card (not a fast one) and a case as part of the deal for the same price. Sold! Turns out it was a different branch of the same shop at Crown Bay.

Our table mates had been to St. Thomas a month or so ago, so we stopped by a jewelry sore that they had visited on their last visit. DW left with some nice sapphire and Diamond earrings. :)

We had lunch at Gladys' Cafe. I had a nice jerk chicken and my wife had conch in butter sauce. Our tablemates shared an "Ole-Wife" which was a white fish with large, easily avoided bones.

There's a supermarket ("Pueblo") about 10 minutes walk from the ship toward town if you need a quick spot to replenish soda, wine or liquor. I like walking around grocery stores when I visit somewhere, although I suspect that some of the prices here are affected by how close it is to the yacht club.

Your US cellphone will probably work in St. Thomas for US rates. This is probably the last port of call where my VirginMobile (sprint) cellphone will work on this trip, but I have other ways of getting online without spending money.

Hi underwater. Thanks for taking us along on the cruise - I'm enjoying your posts and happy to read that you are having a good time.

I just took a look at the ship's webcam, and it looks like you're enjoying beautiful weather today. BTW, I also noticed that according to the itinerary posted on the Cunard website, you'll be in St. Maarten on 29 December. Please don't forget to take precautions against mosquito bites, including using insect repellent while you're there, as advised by the CDC. (If you haven't heard about the outbreaks of dengue fever and the chikungunya virus in St Maarten, news reports can be found here http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/12/19/cdc-issues-travel-health-advisory-for-st-martin/ and http://www.montrealgazette.com/health/Canada+issues+travel+notice+after+chikungunya+virus+spreads/9322298/story.html

No doubt the ship will advise passengers regarding the situation prior to your arrival there, but I just thought I'd give a heads up.

Enjoy that beautiful weather - it's freezing here!

Cheers,

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

There have not been any shipboard announcements about the situation in St. Martin, but of course it hasn't been the time to make such an announcement yet. When the story first broke the CDC had only issued a warning specific to the French side; do you know it this has changed? We have some insect repellent even though I think our personal risk is low since we won't be there long and only in the bright of day.

They began taking down the Christmas decorations this morning so I may not have as many such photos to display as I had hoped.

Today was a Maiden Call to English Harbour Town, Antigua. This is on the southern side of the island, about a half hour by taxi from the capital city of St John (8 to 10 US Dollar fare) but it's an easy walk from the tender dock to Nelson's Dockyard which is the only remaining Georgian dockyard in the world. My travelmates fir the day balked at the $5 admission fee so we elected to take a taxi tour of the island for $30 apiece. Lots of views over the blue sea. We elected to have lunch at the north end of the island adjacent to the Sandals resort and we got back to the ship in time to play a rousing round of launderette lottery in which you wager on how long to leave your delicates unsupervised.

pARTIAL QUOTE

There have not been any shipboard announcements about the situation in St. Martin, but of course it hasn't been the time to make such an announcement yet. When the story first broke the CDC had only issued a warning specific to the French side; do you know it this has changed? We have some insect repellent even though I think our personal risk is low since we won't be there long and only in the bright of day...

Hi Underwatr. Yes, sorry to say there are indications that the mosquitos didn't obey the road signs and travelled over to the Dutch side. However, reports are that the Dutch are taking steps, such as spraying, to control the problem. The virus-carrying mosquitos have also been found most recently in Martinique.

"...Travelers should take steps to protect against mosquito bites including: using insect repellent, wearing long sleeves and pants and using air conditioning and screens on windows and doors to keep mosquitoes out. [i guess for cruisers, that would keep your balcony door closed.]

Travelers returning from the Caribbean who experience fever and joint pains as well as other symptoms of chikungunya such as headache, muscle pains, or rash should seek medical care, and healthcare providers should be on the alert for possible cases, the CDC said."

quoted from http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2013/12/23/US-travel-health-notice-for-travelers-to-St-Martin/UPI-73241387851488/#ixzz2oj1zZAYl

Sorry to read the Christmas decorations are being removed so soon...if I remember correctly, when we were on the Christmas cruise in 2011 they were left up a few days longer - and then, magically, New Year's decorations appeared :) Regards, S.

Hi Underwatr. Yes, sorry to say there are indications that the mosquitos didn't obey the road signs and travelled over to the Dutch side. However, reports are that the Dutch are taking steps, such as spraying, to control the problem. The virus-carrying mosquitos have also been found most recently in Martinique.
Thank you but you could have responded to my specific question which was regarding whether there was a CDC alert for the Dutch side of the island in St. Maarten, which currently (as of this writing) states
Travel Health Notices

There are no notices currently in effect for Netherlands Antilles, including Bonaire, Curaçao, Saba, St. Eustasius, and St. Maarten.

Edited by Underwatr

Thank you but you could have responded to my specific question which was regarding whether there was a CDC alert for the Dutch side of the island in St. Maarten, which currently (as of this writing) states

Hi Underwatr, sorry, I thought I had responded to your question, but I see now that I had not, despite having included reference to two news reports. What I provided was most current information available to me, with the thought that since the virus carrying mosquitos have been most recently found in Martinique, the Dutch side of St. Martin is not immune. But, by all means, wait for the official CDC alert. Don't construe by your own wits with the information provided. Wait for the official alert from the CDC and advice from the ship.

According to this news from Cruise Critic: "(Update: December 20, 11:20 a.m. EST) -- Carnival Cruise Lines will inform passengers on its two ships that call in St. Maarten, Carnival Dream and Carnival Valor, about the health advisory, and provide basic information and precautionary advice.

Again, so sorry I did not respond to your specific question; I was trying to be helpful, thinking that you could extrapolate what information you needed from the sources provided. My bad. -Salacia

Edited to add: here is the CDC travel warnings about the Chikungunya outbreak in Saint Martin, dated 13 December. Unfortunately, it has not subsequently been updated. http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/watch/chikungunya-saint-martin I don't know where your quote about there being no travel health advisories are in effect for St Martin came from as you did not include a source for that information.

Edited by Salacia

I am beginning to wish we were on the QM2 instead of the QE! We are still locked down with NV as we have been since leaving Southampton in perilous weather conditions. Just hope things improve for the New Year.

Glad you seem to be having a great time on the QM.

I am beginning to wish we were on the QM2 instead of the QE! We are still locked down with NV as we have been since leaving Southampton in perilous weather conditions. Just hope things improve for the New Year.

Glad you seem to be having a great time on the QM.

Hi LadyL1. I'm so sorry about the current conditions. You are feeling well, I hope? What have you planned for your New Year's celebration?

Best wishes,

Salacia

Hi,Salacia. You've linked to the CDC notice for St. Martin which has been up for a few days; my last post links (via the underlined word states) to the applicable page for the Dutch side at St. Maarten at which there is still no notice.

I'm not saying the CDC is infallible or that their method for posting notices follows a process that the rest of us would consider logical, but what I was looking for was evidence of any changes to the official situation. It's difficult for me to search the various sources whle onboard, but perhaps the UK equivalent to the US CDC website has new or different information, for example.

It's just 6 AM and we're already docking in St. Kitts. We will be here until 9:30 tonight to facilitate what the Commodore likes to call "Technical Works."

Hi,Salacia. You've linked to the CDC notice for St. Martin which has been up for a few days; my last post links (via the underlined word states) to the applicable page for the Dutch side at St. Maarten at which there is still no notice.

I'm not saying the CDC is infallible or that their method for posting notices follows a process that the rest of us would consider logical, but what I was looking for was evidence of any changes to the official situation. It's difficult for me to search the various sources whle onboard, but perhaps the UK equivalent to the US CDC website has new or different information, for example.

It's just 6 AM and we're already docking in St. Kitts. We will be here until 9:30 tonight to facilitate what the Commodore likes to call "Technical Works."

Lovely port ST Kitts. I remember commodore Warner

Telling us that his grand uncle was the first British Governor of St Kitts

What is technical works?

Underwater, in post #38, a link to a report in the Montreal Gazette was included. To quote in part "...On Tuesday [24 Dec], Canada's public health agency recommended that travellers protect themselves from mosquito bites when travelling in St. Martin, St. Maarten and Martinique."

An article in Scientific American published 26 Dec states "...As of late last week there were 26 laboratory-confirmed cases of the disease on the island, with over 100 total cases suspected. Chikungunya has been found in both the French and Dutch parts of the island. It has also spread to the nearby island of Martinque, which has two laboratory-confirmed cases..."

copied from http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=debilitating-virus-infect

So that's two sources that say the virus is on both sides of the island, although I have not found any update from the CDC since their Dec. 13 Travel Health Notice which refers to only the French side of the island.

(BTW, I don't click on embedded links on CC - I did it once and my IT consultant says that's how I got some malware on my computer. I only click on addresses I can read, and that's also why I show full links rather than embedding it in my posts.)

Hope you enjoy all that extra time in St Kitts! -S.

Underwatr, here's a third source indicating that the virus has been confirmed on the Dutch side:

From the St Martin News Network - "GREAT BAY (DCOMM):--- Collective Prevention Services (CPS), an agency of the Ministry of Public Health, Social Development and Labour confirms that the country has one confirmed case of Chikungunya, a 38-year old male residing in the district of Saunders. The case was confirmed on December 19, 2013 by the Center National de Reference des Arbovirus, Marsellie." Quoted from http://www.smn-news.com/st-maarten-st-martin-news/14181-ministry-of-public-health-reports-one-confirmed-case-of-chikungunya-residents-urgently-advised-to-be-proactive-in-eliminating-mosquito-breeding-sites.html