St john via ferry from St Thomas?

izumba4me

We will be stopping at st Thomas on.our carnival cruise & was thinking.of snorkeling. My friend suggested I take a ferry to st john to trunk bay to snorkel because its so beautiful. Has anyone done this before? I wouldn't even know how to go about booking this.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Forums mobile app

It is easily done. Take a Cab from the dock to Red Hook (where the Ferry goes from). Ferries run regularly and cabs at all the docks will be abundant. we have done it many times. I would suggest searching the St Thomas thread in the Caribbean ports section of the forum for more details -costs/times, etc. St John is a fabulous place to snorkel. trunk Bay is an incredibly beautiful beach with decent snorkeling. I personally prefer Hawksnest or Maho beach on the North side.

I know its a long thread but I linked from the page 57 - there is lots of info there, pricing on page 58 as of December. There is also a breakdown of how long it takes. We were going to do this but dont think we had enough time. Our ship didn't get in until 10 am, which means we get the 11am ferry (which I think is a half hour ride), then cab to the beach. Our ship leaves at 6 so its recommended to take the 3 or 4pm ferry at the latest. That would leave us with little time at the beach.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1196166&page=57

Ferry Schedule (take the space out before and after the vinow

http://www. vinow .com/general_usvi/interisland_ferry/#st-john-passenger-ferry-red-hook-to-cruz-bay

Edited by 1kaper

We did just this activity on our last cruise. You catch a cab to the ferry port, take the ferry across th St . John, then catch a cab to Trunk Bay. It is absolutely beautiful! They have facilities and an informative snorkel park. One of our favorite excursions!

I think you would be fine doing it on your own (and probably a lot cheaper)! Just take a taxi from the cruise port to Red Hook, then it is a 15 minute water taxi ride to St. John from there take a taxi to Trunk Bay or one of the other great beaches. Same thing on the way back! I think the ferry's from Red Hook to St. John leave about every hour and are about $12 round trip per person. I recently found this guide to snorkeling on St. John and really like it. You might find it helpful. I think Cinnamon Bay is my personal favorite on St. John.

http://blog.sunplay.com/category/st-john-2/

Hope that helps! I would recommend St. John a 1000x over staying on St. Thomas for the day, very different feel and so beautiful and relaxing!

• 1 month later...

I agree. Been there done that and WILL DO IT AGAIN. Taxi to Redhook-ferry to St John-taxi to Trunk. Hundreds of people do it EVERYDAY!!! At Trunk go to the right end of the beach. Less crowded.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 4 weeks later...