Star Flyer EU Mediterranean August 07

Turnbo2007

Hi there,

I have booked myself on Star Flyer departure from Athens on 18th August for 11 night EU Mediterranean cruise to Venice.

I'm a 55yo Australian female widow, fit and healthy with a passion for travel but not interested in large cruise ships because I actually do enjoy meeting people and feel I would get lost on a large cruise.

However, I saw in the cruise info on this site that these trips are not suitable for single travellers. What's with that?? I'm happy to pay the single supplement so why are they saying this?

Can someone give me some guidance because I have already paid a deposit but certainly don't want to go ahead with a cruise where I will be looked down upon as "a single"!!

I've travelled extensively as a single and never heard this type of comment before.

Also, would there be anyone else who's done this recently?

Thanks in advance,

Carolyn

Single travelers are fine on the Star Clipper and the Star Flyer. We had dinner with one or two people traveling alone almost every night on our cruise from Cannes to Dubrovnik last July. They were delightful. Go and have a wonderful time.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Carolyn, I have done a transatlantic repositioning on the Royal and just lately sailed the Caribbean on the Star Clipper, the first sail single and sailing solo, and the second single but with a fellow single friend. Next fall am doing the Athens to Phuket repositioning 37 nighter, solo and single! I met great folks on each sail, some single, some not, no problem. The majority of passengers are couples, but that is not of issue. Have a great sail! These are fine ships and you will have a fine time, I am sure!:cool:

Thanks GHRAustin,

that makes me a "happy camper"!! The reason I wanted a smaller ship was because I thought I would get lost on those huge floating hotels.

Roll on August!! Would you mind telling me if you opted for the cabin to yourself?

I'm jealous of 37 nights what a great trip. Have you been to Athens before as I'm picking up my cruise there and was wanting to spend 2 nights there beforehand but don't have a preferred hotel. Do you have any choices?

Cheers,

Have not been to Athens, so am facing the same questions myself,, where to stay and whether to take tour or not, etc. On the cabin question, I don't think that Star Clippers offers a "guaranteed share" where you can share cabin with someone,, at least not to US customers that I can see, so when I am on ship by myself, I have the entire cabin. This last trip I took with a travel buddy, and we shared, which was fine and more cost effective, although you will like a cabin to yourself, especially anything over a week. I have shared on other trips and been very lucky with my roommates, although I don't spend much time in the cabin, but for these long ones, I like the cabin to myself. Let me know if you find a good hotel in Athens!

Have not been to Athens, so am facing the same questions myself,, where to stay and whether to take tour or not, etc. On the cabin question, I don't think that Star Clippers offers a "guaranteed share" where you can share cabin with someone,, at least not to US customers that I can see, so when I am on ship by myself, I have the entire cabin. This last trip I took with a travel buddy, and we shared, which was fine and more cost effective, although you will like a cabin to yourself, especially anything over a week. I have shared on other trips and been very lucky with my roommates, although I don't spend much time in the cabin, but for these long ones, I like the cabin to myself. Let me know if you find a good hotel in Athens!

From what I've noticed, there is good advice on Tripadvisor.com regarding tips on almost everything. The plaka district looks like the best bet in Athens, central and walking distance to lots of attractions. There is good advice on hotels and I've used it's recommendations before when in Europe. I am sure there will also be an affiliated hotel with Star Clippers that they will advise us of?

I'm happy to pay the single supplement and as you say "anything over a week" I will be more comfortable. After all, it's really just somewhere to sleep and shower.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

We just got back from the Aegean cruise last week.

Athens is definitely worth a look, but I think you can see everything in a day. If you get off the Metro at "Acropoli", the Acropolis, Plaka and everything else is right there within seconds walking distance. Its 24 Euros to get in to the Acropolis, but that 24Eu also includes tickets for the Temple of Zeus, old Olympic stadium, and all the other ruins around the area.

The advantage of a tour is the guide. Although the Athens ruins/museums are well signposted in Greek and English, there is almost no additional interesting information about them. It simply says "Parthenon" with some blurb on the restoration and thats pretty much it. If you choose to do it by yourself, definitely read a guidebook first. :)

We met a few singles on board, and they seemed to have a brilliant time! Hope you have as much fun as we did. :)

Hi Maggie,

Thanks so much for your reply, always glad to hear from a "local"(almost).

Any tips on the cruising and life on board. Where did you go and did you take up the options offered when you reached the port?

I was wondering about additional costs on board, how did you pay for drinks etc? I'm assuming everything in is Euros?

I will probably do a day trip in Athens, as you say it's easier to have a guide.

Look foward to hearing your trip details and any tips, if you don't mind.

Many thanks

Carolyn

Hey Carolyn,

Glad to be a help! It was our first cruise and we had no idea what to expect at all. We went to: Pireaus - at sea - Rhodos - Bodrum - Dalyan - Santorini - Hydra - Piraeus. So I think you are doing the other Mediterranean cruise?

Drinks were extra and were on a tab which you paid by credit card at the end of the cruise. We were expecting them to be expensive, but they were reasonable: about 3 Euro for a house wine or beer, bottles of wine started at about 25 Euro. Yep, everything in Euro, so for us that meant twice the price. *sigh*

They also "suggest" you tip the cabin crew and wait staff around 3-5 Euro per day. This is also added on at the end of the cruise to your bill and amounted to about 55 Euro per guest for a 7 day cruise. It is voluntary, you have to sign for it. On board books and DVDs are free. Internet is available for a reasonable fee, but its very slow and you might find you can't view anything that uses a pop-up window.

The excursions ranged from 20 to 46 Euro, again added to your tab. We did 2 of the 4 offered. They had excellent multi-lingual guides and took you exactly where you wanted to go. However, you sometimes have to sit in a bus for a longer time that would be necessary if you just took a taxi (which would be cheaper), sometimes you have to sit through 1 or 2 translations of the same information and you have to go at the speed of the group, which might not be your speed. Having said that, the two excursions we did do (Dalyan and Lindos, Rhodes) were well worth the 40 Euros. We did some research before we left and decided which places we could explore on our own. If you want to do that, you will always find someone else who will want to come along - as we did.

The entertainment is amusingly hard-up and very Hi-De-Hi. But everyone was so friendly, relaxed, and up for a good time, it was hysterical. You must enter the Frog Race... :D I also recommend the evening lectures and morning "story time" highly - fascinating.

For meals (which are very good) you can sit wherever you like for lunch and breakfast but dinner is a-la-carte and you must wait to be seated by the Maitre'd (sp?) - he'll match you with like-minded people who speak the same language and he seems to be really good at what he does - we made some great friends.

The age group on our cruise was mostly fit, healthy, educated 50-65 yr olds. A few in their late 40's, and about 8 younger than this.

We love love loved it. I hope you do too! :)

Archived