Let’s Make Anthem Great Again – Live Thread May 20, 2017

I’mmmmm back...Ricky Cruiser…Freddy Krueger…pick your poison!

So it has been just two and half years since the Quantum of the Seas was delivered to Royal Caribbean, introducing a new class of ship, which was said would provide passengers with an unsurpassed cruise experience. The class would be coined as the “smart ships,”bringing the newest technology to both hotel and marine operations. Fast forward to present day, with three Quantum-class ships in operation and two more (Quantum-plus for those itching to correct me) on order. However, all but the Anthem of the Seas seem to be destined for the Far East and we are not talking about Long Island.

So one might ask “why is that?” I have decided that the powers that be over at RCI have come to the conclusion – albeit so do I on most days of the week – that the American population may be too stupid to handle a sophisticated smart ship and have opted to serve a culture that truly embraces technology.

497062b589967dc7473f3146cf05a2af.jpg

All jokes aside,I find that the Anthem continues to be the U.S. based ship that many cruisers know the least about or, even worse, perceive in a negative manner due to a variety of reasons including the “Cruise from Hell” media sensationalism, the deep hatred towards Dynamic Dining (which if you didn’t get the memo, ended about six months ago), and my favorite – the massive generalization that the ship attracts a “rude” passenger base due to its geographical location.

Personally,after two previous sailings on the Anthem, I hold this class of ship as my favorite in the fleet. Notice that I said “ship.” We can go on and on about picking a cruise because of a certain port of call or choosing to sail with a crew member you have formed a close relationship with. Perhaps your favorite bartender that knows when you order a gin and tonic, to just pour a triple shot of Hendricks and give you a can of tonic toward off the perception that you are anything other than a raging, but highly functioning, alcoholic (speaking about a friend of course).

Barring factors like the aforementioned, I would argue that the Anthem of the Seas brings all the best that Royal has to offer and wraps it in one beautiful and not too overwhelming package. Therefore, I would very much like to see more Quantum-class offerings from U.S. ports in the coming years. So my mission over my five day sailing to Bermuda aboard the Anthem is simple…

8e69037925204f370750f4f20c945603.jpg

At least in the peanut sized minds of the American public. Again, just kidding!

Please note that Sarah Huckabee will be handling all questions from the Pineapple Heads during this sailing.

Edited by CruiseLifeRick

The Squad

12631b4491945d8e8fee15bfdf2bec44.jpg

I am once again joining forces with Mr. P and White Shorts to do things like block the stairways and of course be wildly inappropriate with bath robes. If you didn't follow my last live thread on the Navigator be sure to check it out (link is in my signature), just in case I decide to introduce some call backs here.

In addition, they are bringing their daughter (3) and son (2) on this sailing, which will mark their first cruise and probably the start of a very long Crown & Anchor career. Nicknames are TBD, but don't you worry.

Long time friends of Mr. P and White Shorts, Rob and Jennah, will also be joining the sailing with their little daughter. For those of you familiar with Mr. P's Harmony of the Seas music video, Rob and Jennah were the other couple.

Speaking of music videos, I am posting the link from the one Mr. P put together from our last sailing on the Navigator for those of you that have no idea how you ended up on this thread and are lost as to who any of us are.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by CruiseLifeRick

5 days on the Anthem, then he flies to Miami the next day and then the day after that he boards the Norwegian Escape for 7 days. That is an All-Star move.

I'll check back in a week when you disembark that dumpy Anthem and get ready for the awesome Escape. (I'm kidding Quantum class lovers, I'm kidding).

5 days on the Anthem, then he flies to Miami the next day and then the day after that he boards the Norwegian Escape for 7 days. That is an All-Star move.

I'll check back in a week when you disembark that dumpy Anthem and get ready for the awesome Escape. (I'm kidding Quantum class lovers, I'm kidding).

Wow. I hope I can squeeze in a $#.. I'll let you know though so you can inform everyone here.

We can agree to disagree- Having sailed on the Quantum- I am "cured" from that class of ship. Service poor- no comparison to the Oasis class ships-nor the Freedom class ships. We had a grand suite on the Quantum, but other then the suite- not happy with the ships layout- the overpriced photography, mediocre food, etc.

Just went on the Harmony, what a difference! The ship and the service excellent- I think that anybody who has tried the Quantum class- should try the Oasis class, especially the Harmony- they will be very happy.

Having sailed on the Quantum- I am "cured" from that class of ship. Service poor- no comparison to the Oasis class ships-nor the Freedom class ships.

Interesting. The service we had on the Anthem in October was the best we ever had.

God, you're brilliant!! Love your style and sense of humor!! So excited you are doing another live report!

I dare say the flavor of this trip may be a bit different with the little ones !

Interesting. The service we had on the Anthem in October was the best we ever had.

Same. I experienced great service on both of my Anthem sailings last year.

I also know that crew continually move from ship to ship so I think recommending an Oasis class over a Quantum class due to a service issue is a little unfounded. But hey...more cabin choices for me!

The Anthem has a very hard task here following the Explorer which was probably most loved ship in the fleet!

Hopefully you'll get the Anthem take First Place. Enjoy!

Edited by fred30

This is going to be fun!

I love Anthem too and while you may be joking about the U.S. and its relationship to technology, I think there is some truth to it all! ;p Looking forward to the rest

Following along. Enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

Thank you very much!

God, you're brilliant!! Love your style and sense of humor!! So excited you are doing another live report!

I dare say the flavor of this trip may be a bit different with the little ones ��!

Thank you for the kind words. White Shorts keeps assuring me that she intends to use Adventure Ocean to its full capacity (a/k/a Momma has the drink package).