After Final payment and still only a Guaranteed Cabin

ghstudio

We originally booked a balcony cabin, but one day last December, there was a MB mini-suite guarantee available and we grabbed it. Since that time, AFAIK, no mini-suite or suite has been available on the cruise. It's now post final payment and we still have a guarantee cabin. I know that there are times when you don't get a cabin assigned until maybe a week before the cruise...but it's beginning to worry me.

I assume that Princess has some statistics that say how many cabins will be cancelled after final payment....but what happens if they are wrong?

We originally booked a balcony cabin, but one day last December, there was a MB mini-suite guarantee available and we grabbed it. Since that time, AFAIK, no mini-suite or suite has been available on the cruise. It's now post final payment and we still have a guarantee cabin. I know that there are times when you don't get a cabin assigned until maybe a week before the cruise...but it's beginning to worry me.

I assume that Princess has some statistics that say how many cabins will be cancelled after final payment....but what happens if they are wrong?

A GTY......Usually can be/assigned sometime/anytime up to a day or 2 before your cruise. Very rarely assigned at the pier. You can access bag tags/travel summary on the Princess cruise personalizer on the Princess website up to sailing day. The cabin assignment will be noted there.

Sometimes people think it was assigned at the pier but had they checked the personalizer the night before their cruise they may have seen the cabin assignment at that time. Hope this makes sense.

Just because it says sold out does not mean they won't have a cabin for you. Princess keeps cabins behind the scenes. They have been doing this forever and have it down to a science. You will have a cabin.

You have been on these boards for 13 years, you should have seen this discussed dozens of times. The line manages its rooms and moves people around often up to the moment of the cruise. You will get no worse than the your guarantee. If in fact they are overbooked, they will make move over offers to you or others. Some of those are the best deals going but you do not have to take them. If I were you I would find something else to worry about.

You have been on these boards for 13 years, you should have seen this discussed dozens of times. The line manages its rooms and moves people around often up to the moment of the cruise. You will get no worse than the your guarantee. If in fact they are overbooked, they will make move over offers to you or others. Some of those are the best deals going but you do not have to take them. If I were you I would find something else to worry about.

Amen...

Be patient.

Do a search on this board for "I booked a GTY but didn't get a cabin on the ship", or "I booked a GTY and didn't get the cabin category that I paid for" and see how many threads you find. Probably zero. You will get what you paid for.

i sail on sunday and got my assignment yesterday; so 4 days before. i was quite prepared for a move-over offer but nope, they fit us all on!

plus i got a screaming upgrade-- cheapest interior (IF) to deluxe balcony (D4)!

i sail on sunday and got my assignment yesterday; so 4 days before. i was quite prepared for a move-over offer but nope, they fit us all on!

Nice!! Bon Voyage!

I have walked up to the check-in area and have seen people being given their guaranteed cabin there. You are guaranteed a cabin at or above what you paid for so there is no need to worry just get ready to enjoy the surprise and the whole cruise.

You are lucky even without the move-over. Congrats!

First of all...Congrats! That is an awesome result. So please don't take the rest of my post as a "dis" on you. It isn't.

Under these circumstances, why wouldn't Princess provide a "surprise upgrade" to someone in a Standard Balcony up to the Deluxe Balcony, and then give another "surprise upgrade" to someone in the highest level Interior to the now-vacant Balcony, and then provide the highest level Interior to the GTY passenger who paid for the cheapest Interior? First, it seems more equitable. Second, from a public relations standpoint, you have now made three sets of passengers elated instead of just one. And at no additional cost. I know that when there is an open First Class seat on an airline, they don't just give it to the last person to board the plane. The ground crew does a quick check of the passenger manifest and offers it (if at all) to a passenger in the Main Cabin who has very high status in the frequent flier program. If I were Princess, I would do one of three things. I would check the passenger manifest and upgrade based on 1.) loyalty; or 2.) special occasion noted in the Booking Summary such as honeymoon or anniversary; or 3.) new customer who I want to turn into a loyal customer. Yes, this would involve two moves plus the assignment of the cabin to the GTY passenger. But really. How hard is that?

First of all...Congrats! That is an awesome result. So please don't take the rest of my post as a "dis" on you. It isn't.

Under these circumstances, why wouldn't Princess provide a "surprise upgrade" to someone in a Standard Balcony up to the Deluxe Balcony, and then give another "surprise upgrade" to someone in the highest level Interior to the now-vacant Balcony, and then provide the highest level Interior to the GTY passenger who paid for the cheapest Interior? First, it seems more equitable. Second, from a public relations standpoint, you have now made three sets of passengers elated instead of just one. And at no additional cost. I know that when there is an open First Class seat on an airline, they don't just give it to the last person to board the plane. The ground crew does a quick check of the passenger manifest and offers it (if at all) to a passenger in the Main Cabin who has very high status in the frequent flier program. If I were Princess, I would do one of three things. I would check the passenger manifest and upgrade based on 1.) loyalty; or 2.) special occasion noted in the Booking Summary such as honeymoon or anniversary; or 3.) new customer who I want to turn into a loyal customer. Yes, this would involve two moves plus the assignment of the cabin to the GTY passenger. But really. How hard is that?

makes total sense to me. i'm hoping the 'regular' balcony people were upgraded to a mini suite.

fwiw, i am elite and this is a milestone cruise though i didn't put anything on my personalizer, maybe that's why? i know these big upgrades aren't at all common anymore.

No offense to you as I've often had the same thoughts as you regarding GTYs and upgrades, but upon further thought I can think of at least 3 possible reasons your thoughts (however correct they are) might not be employed:

1) Perhaps there weren't many GTY cabins sold for that particular cruise. If most people selected their own cabins or had their reservation marked "do not upgrade" it might be difficult for the CL to do as you suggested.

2) If it was close to departure date most folks would have already printed boarding passes and luggage tags for the previously assigned cabins which could cause confusion and baggage snafus upon embarkation. And of course there'd always be those who would be unhappy with there newly assigned cabins...

3) The CL doesn't have unlimited personnel resources to assign to such tasks. With all the different ships in the fleet and most leaving every week or 10 days, the time necessary for the workers to make multiple changes to previously assigned cabins to dole out remaining unfilled cabins in the way you suggested might just not be possible.

No offense to you as I've often had the same thoughts as you regarding GTYs and upgrades, but upon further thought I can think of at least 3 possible reasons your thoughts (however correct they are) might not be employed:

1) Perhaps there weren't many GTY cabins sold for that particular cruise. If most people selected their own cabins or had their reservation marked "do not upgrade" it might be difficult for the CL to do as you suggested.

2) If it was close to departure date most folks would have already printed boarding passes and luggage tags for the previously assigned cabins which could cause confusion and baggage snafus upon embarkation. And of course there'd always be those who would be unhappy with there newly assigned cabins...

3) The CL doesn't have unlimited personnel resources to assign to such tasks. With all the different ships in the fleet and most leaving every week or 10 days, the time necessary for the workers to make multiple changes to previously assigned cabins to dole out remaining unfilled cabins in the way you suggested might just not be possible.

1. This is counter intuitive. The fewer GTYs there are, the easier this domino effect is ti implement.

2. A couple of calls or emails is all it would take. Most people would jump on the upgrade. The folks here who have very specific wants and needs when it comes to cabin selections from which they would not want to move are outliers.

3. Same people who sell upsells. We're talking about a couple of cabins per cruise. Remember that there was a poll done here not too long ago which revealed that the vast majority of people booking GTYs get exactly what they selected. The type of huge upgrade that cdngrl got is rare.

"Do not upgrade" means not to do it automatically. It does not stop Princess from contacting you (or your TA) to see if you would actually be willing to accept one.

I have a question about booking a GTY. I used to book a GTY but lately, I've booked the cabin we would like. Didn't GTY cabins use to be cheaper than the lowest price cabin in the category that you would prefer?

Yes, GTY cabins USED to be cheaper than choose your own but it hasn't been that way at Princess for quite a while. IMHO, the only advantage to booking a GTY now is the HOPE that you might get an upgrade (hit or miss, seems to be more likely the earlier you book) or if that's all they have left for sale and you really want that cruise.

Yes, GTY cabins USED to be cheaper than choose your own but it hasn't been that way at Princess for quite a while. IMHO, the only advantage to booking a GTY now is the HOPE that you might get an upgrade (hit or miss, seems to be more likely the earlier you book) or if that's all they have left for sale and you really want that cruise.

Thanks for your answer I thought that's the was it used to be. I agree as to why would you book a GTY for the same price you may pick your cabin unless you want to gamble for an upgrade.

I have a question about booking a GTY. I used to book a GTY but lately, I've booked the cabin we would like. Didn't GTY cabins use to be cheaper than the lowest price cabin in the category that you would prefer?

In the 20 years I have been using Princess, I do not remember any time that a GTY for the category you want (example: a BB balcony) was priced any different than if you select a cabin in that category.

Of course if only a GTY is available for a category (again, example BB), than it would cost less than selecting a cabin in the next higher category (example, BA).