Planning Cruise for Wife's Birthday Help!!

Ok so I can't be too specific because my wife reads post up here. She has a substantial birthday coming up where she will turn 29 for the 11th time. I have decided to surprise her with a cruise for her birthday, no kids, just the 2 of us. We have been on 3 cruises in the past, 2 on Disney and 1 on Royal. My question is what cruise would you guys suggest. I am looking at 4 day Royal on Liberty and Brilliance, both with the same itinerary, 3 day Norwegian on the Sky, and a 5 day Carnival on the Fantasy. Itinerary really doesn't matter to me. We have been to most of the places the cruise lines travel. Its more about relaxation away from the kids and being able to reconnect after 25 years together.

Never been on either Norwegian or Carnival so I don't know what to expect. I like Carnival because it runs out of Charleston and within driving distance so I can save on airfare. Royal Liberty works because I have friends in Ft lauderdale that can help me airport transfers and a place to crash for the night.

I have it all worked out as far as who is watching the kids and dogs. Set it all up with her office so they know she will be out. I don't plan on telling her anything about the trip at all. Figure the best way to get her to freak out is to not tell her anything at all, just show up at the airport and then at the terminal. She will prob be so overwhelmed she will pass out wouldn't that be a story to tell).

Anyway pass on your advice and knowledge. I need to get something booked up here in the next week.

Are you going to pack for her then?

I don't know...if it were me I would prefer to know or be surprised a day or two before leaving so that I could pack myself. I would still be very surprised but would have the things with me that I wanted to take. I am particular with the things that I want to take on a cruise with me.

If you change a few of these details, you could be my DH planning a surprise...except we don't have a dog, have cruised NCL before and don't know anyone in Ft Lauderdale! Good luck, DH once surprised me with a night out to a Billy Joel / Elton John concert and I was flabergasted!

If I were you, I'd book a suite and go all out. If you're not cruising for itinerary, get the best cabin you can afford and live it up for a few days.

Enjoy your trip!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you going to pack for her then?

I don't know...if it were me I would prefer to know or be surprised a day or two before leaving so that I could pack myself. I would still be very surprised but would have the things with me that I wanted to take. I am particular with the things that I want to take on a cruise with me.

I would be the same way. I always pack what I'm going to take and he packs his stuff. I used to pack my daughter's stuff, but once she became a pre-teen, I asked her to select which of her clothes she wanted to pack for cruises (with some veto power or added suggestions).

I think even the most sensitive husbands would forget something. And that's why for one of our cruises (which fortunately was a short (it was 3 or 4 days), he forgot to bring my coat, which meant I was shivering off the California coast in a sweater (I was distracted trying to make sure we had our toddler's stuff...and he said he put the coats in the trunk, but he meant his and our daughter's).

To the OP, it's a sweet idea, but maybe you should instead give her an early birthday present of an envelope that has a romantic birthday card in it with a folded up map charting your itinerary.

BTW, it's the Liberty of the Seas if it's a Royal Caribbean ship. Carnival has a ship that's called the Liberty.

Go for it - this would be amazing! Keep the stress of the trip low - the ship won't matter nearly as much as the surprise and to me the longer the better. Leaving from a local port would be preferred (Charleston). Plan a specialty restaurant and upgrade as much as you can. If you have cruised before - you already know her wardrobe anyway - keep it a surprise.

Could you share this idea with my DH? I did a local get away for him for three days - spa, dinner, upgraded room etc. several years ago. It worked out great - now just waiting for my turn.

ENJOY !!!

:) You know your wife; we don't.

If you are really sure she'll be as excited as you about this, then great.

Not all women would be.

I'd be beside myself if I didn't have the personal items with me I'd want and no one but

me can pack what I would want. If your wife is a more roll with it lady, all the more power to you both. :)

I think you are a terrific fellow for wanting to do this for her.

Let us know as your plans go forward.

(I'd vote for the cruise from Charleston so you don't have air to worry about.)

Not worried about packing her clothes. No problem there. I know what she wears and what she needs for the most part. I have 2 daughters that will help with the makeup/hair products so that's all covered.

I know that its liberty of the seas. Tried to compress words a little. Figured everyone would know what I meant by Royal Liberty. We have been on the sister ship before. Did a week on freedom of the seas earlier this year.

We have a family trip planned in feb on Disney fantasy.

Only planning a small trip the carnival one I'm looking at is the longest at 5 days. The 2 royal ones are 4 days and the Norwegian is only 3 days. I like the idea of a longer trip but just not sure which way to go. Waffling back and forth.

What a great husband!

Just one thought about Charleston. Only one ship currently sails from there, Carnival Fantasy. It's their oldest ship and does not have the fancy amenities of the newer ships. For instance they have no specialty restaurants. You can have a great time aboard, just be prepared with your expectations.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Forums mobile app

Although Carnival Fantasy doesn't have specialty restaurants, they do have Chef's Table, an elegant dinner for a small group prepared by the head chef in a private dining room. It would be perfect.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Forums mobile app

My sister and I just pulled this off for our husbands. They were both having significant birthdays, too. We didn't tell them anything for several months, but I got nervous about packing for my dh. A few weeks before travel we started giving them an occasional hint and ultimately told them to pack for a warm climate for a week. Nothing else. A couple days before I told my dh our daughter would be joining us, but just for the weekend......that really threw him off. When we got to the airport they found out we were going to Ft Lauderdale. The shuttle from the Ft. Lauderdale airport took us to the hotel where our dh's were surprised by our (combined) 5 young adult children who told them we were all going on a cruise. We pulled it off! A few bumps in the road but we covered our tracks well and they were both surprised beyond belief! Our biggest piece of advice? Tell no one! It's tempting to tell people, but don't do it! The surprise can be spoiled so easily with innocent chit-chat. Our surprise was almost spoiled at the very last second by someone who "didn't know it was a surprise", but luck was on our side. So, a 7 day cruise......a few thousand dollars........some new clothes.........a few hundred dollars; spending 8 days with our grown children on a cruise......PRICELESS!

I don't have an opinion regarding the ship/itinerary, but my hubby surprised me with a cruise a few months back as a nice break from my Master's program classes. I knew something was up because he asked when my semester break was from school, but that's all I got. Then the day before we left for the cruise as he headed to work he told me we were going on a cruise the next morning but no other info. That gave me a chance to do what I needed to do and still had the surprise of the ship, ports, etc. He knew if he sprung it on me the morning of, or packed for me, things wouldn't have gone as nicely for me. He had done all the reservation and hotel bookings done. Give her only the info she needs to make her comfortable on the trip and keep the rest a surprise. Have fun.

Go for it - this would be amazing! Keep the stress of the trip low - the ship won't matter nearly as much as the surprise and to me the longer the better. Leaving from a local port would be preferred (Charleston). Plan a specialty restaurant and upgrade as much as you can. If you have cruised before - you already know her wardrobe anyway - keep it a surprise.

Could you share this idea with my DH? I did a local get away for him for three days - spa, dinner, upgraded room etc. several years ago. It worked out great - now just waiting for my turn.

ENJOY !!!

I totally agree with every word

You mentioned that your wife reads the boards. How funny would that be in she posted her suggestion.:D

Oh I have thought of that!! Waiting for her to post up a comment lol. She looks more at the cruise line section for the specific ships that we are sailing on then in the general sections. She has been spending a lot of time in the Disney section since we are booked with them for feb.

As far as packing her favorite swim suits, etc., we have been married for 18 years and together for over 25. I know what she likes, wants, wears, and packs just as well as I know my own stuff. Not too many secrets when you've been together for a quarter century. Emojis say everything we need 😎💃💅👙💄💋