Weird Toilet Question!!

psycomac

Ok so yah this is going to be weird but give me a second, it's for a good reason lol

How do the toilets flush onboard NCL ships? The only other cruise experience I have is CCL and back then (10 yrs ago), people were adamant about you not sitting ON the toilet when you flush because of the suction generated during flushing some people had been known to be injured.

I ask because my DD (4) has a habit of just turning around to flush the toilet when she's done going potty. If she needs to actually get OFF the toilet before she flushes for safety reasons, then I need to start conditioning her soon to change this behavior.

Any info is greatly appreciated (and really desperately needed!!):)

I have done it...no problem. People would have you think it is like being sucked out of an airliner if the window is blown out....just an 'urban myth'...:)

oh thank God. Not only did I have the semi humorous mental images of DD being stuck in the toilet but I also had the not so humorous mental images of the horror stories you hear when kids get stuck in pool drains....

Thank you lol

Also at least in cabins the button to flush is behind the lid so the lid "must" be closed before one can even push the button (comfortably). Of course it's possible with lid open but still it's quite difficult - at least with adult-sized hands/arms.

Even if it was true (and it does seem to be a myth), your DD would be unlikely to be harmed, since the suction theory only works if the person is large enough to cover the entire open portion of the toilet seat and overlap with the ring of the seat, in all directions at once. I've not yet met a 4 y/o that is big enough to do that. :p

DML

Also at least in cabins the button to flush is behind the lid so the lid "must" be closed before one can even push the button (comfortably). Of course it's possible with lid open but still it's quite difficult - at least with adult-sized hands/arms.

As a former Staff Chief Engineer (head toilet unplugger), I can tell you that the vacuum will not stick you to the seat, or harm you. This myth comes about because of the instructions to "close lid and press button". The only reason you need to close the lid is to reach the button. I've had passengers and crew ask me whether articles in the bathroom would get sucked down the toilet if they didn't close the lid.

While we have had to rotoroot towels, face cloths, cloth dinner napkins (?), underwear, and swimsuits out of the lines, they normally don't get too far, which is why we can pinpoint who the offender was in most cases.

As a former Staff Chief Engineer (head toilet unplugger), I can tell you that the vacuum will not stick you to the seat, or harm you. This myth comes about because of the instructions to "close lid and press button". The only reason you need to close the lid is to reach the button. I've had passengers and crew ask me whether articles in the bathroom would get sucked down the toilet if they didn't close the lid.

While we have had to rotoroot towels, face cloths, cloth dinner napkins (?), underwear, and swimsuits out of the lines, they normally don't get too far, which is why we can pinpoint who the offender was in most cases.

When my husband was in the Navy, they had the same problem sometimes. Luckily, getting underwear and such out of the lines wasn't his job, but it was never a pleasant one. I don't envy you that one at all.

DML

The toilets in the communal areas automatically flush when you are using them so it can't be dangerous :D

Actually, on the older ships they don't. In any case it would be difficult to flush the toilet without getting up and your 4 year old might have a hard time pushing the button anyway.

Dittos to all of the above - but since this is a 4 year old, the noise and air rush on her little bottom may startle het. She will probably think its the fun-nest thing ever but make sure she knows the first that shes in for a different experience.

actually the noise will probably be the one thing that *keeps* her from flushing it, at least until she gets used to it. DD HATES loud noises. She's finally started to get used to the sound of the lawn mower when the caretakers mow the lawn lol And that whole 'babies love the white noise of a vacuum cleaner' thing? Yah, not s'much lol

actually the noise will probably be the one thing that *keeps* her from flushing it, at least until she gets used to it. DD HATES loud noises. She's finally started to get used to the sound of the lawn mower when the caretakers mow the lawn lol And that whole 'babies love the white noise of a vacuum cleaner' thing? Yah, not s'much lol

She won't get injured by the toilet.

FWIW---she isn't the only person who hates lawnmowers, although I hate them for a different reason.......

When my husband was in the Navy, they had the same problem sometimes. Luckily, getting underwear and such out of the lines wasn't his job, but it was never a pleasant one. I don't envy you that one at all.

DML

Definitely one of the least favorite aspects of the job, but at least we would get the satisfaction of letting peer pressure work when we would let adjoining cabin residents know who caused the problem:p

Ok so yah this is going to be weird but give me a second, it's for a good reason lol

How do the toilets flush onboard NCL ships? The only other cruise experience I have is CCL and back then (10 yrs ago), people were adamant about you not sitting ON the toilet when you flush because of the suction generated during flushing some people had been known to be injured.

I ask because my DD (4) has a habit of just turning around to flush the toilet when she's done going potty. If she needs to actually get OFF the toilet before she flushes for safety reasons, then I need to start conditioning her soon to change this behavior.

Any info is greatly appreciated (and really desperately needed!!):)

I've been on a few cruises, and I always put the lid down first - until - I saw my husband flush while he was sitting on the toilet (TMI, I know, but it's necessary for the story). Anyway - I got so nervous and yelled "what are you doing???" he started laughing - I guess he knew what I was thinking - and said "it's impossible to get sucked into the toilet". I really believed that you could LOL

My 16-year old still hates loud noises, and is not a fan of the noise the toilet makes when flushing, either. She hates fireworks because of the loud "boom" at the end. She's been like that since she was a baby.

I've been on a few cruises, and I always put the lid down first - until - I saw my husband flush while he was sitting on the toilet (TMI, I know, but it's necessary for the story). Anyway - I got so nervous and yelled "what are you doing???" he started laughing - I guess he knew what I was thinking - and said "it's impossible to get sucked into the toilet". I really believed that you could LOL

I've had to dismantle a balcony door because a guest got jammed in it, but have never had to remove someone from the toilet, thank God.:eek:

i've had to dismantle a balcony door because a guest got jammed in it, but have never had to remove someone from the toilet, thank god.:eek:

lol!! It's so funny what we "hear" and believe to be true. I never even questioned the fact that someone could get sucked into the toilet. I just believed it LOL

I would think it would take a contortionist to flush the toilet while sitting on an NCL ship. On the Jewel, the button is behind the seat cover.

On a side note, with the powerful swoosh, I'd think there might be quite a splash back. Ewww!

Archived