Low carb

see.legs

It certainly is possible, but not what most people would consider to be fun if you enjoy foods containing carbs. Keep in mind that cruises are supposed to be fun. Many people who exclude an entire macronutrient (e.g. carbs) find it challenging do maintain for a long time. Often, low carb or keto dients result in a yo-yo effect where the person ends up gaining more weight than they ever lost.

Mind you, plenty of people enjoy a low carb lifestyle, and are not tempted while on a cruise with the myriad of food offerings.

I've been on low carb diets, ketogenic to be specific, and agree with Snorkleman. Once I stopped I gained the 20lbs back plus a few more. It is possible on a cruise because you can always find a protein and a vegetable, depending on how low carb you're going. The tough part is avoiding all the breads and desserts that come with every meal.

enjoy your cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't struggle with temptation, cruises can be a low carb dieters paradise! There is an abundance of indulgent carb filled treats like pastas, bread baskets, endless desserts, pastries, etc. That being said, I have successfully done low carb on cruises before and I find it EASIER than doing it at home! For breakfast in the buffet there are plenty of different options for eggs (omelets, fried, poached, hard boiled, scrambled, benedict with no muffin, etc) and breakfast meats (ham, sausage, bacon). I usually have some combination of the two with some veggies, cottage cheese, and coffee! For lunch there is always a salad bar where you can choose whatever you like in your salad and I usually just get some meat to go with it (either off the buffet or sometimes order a burger hold the bun!). Dinner is where it is really easy and delicious. Normally the only change I have to make is asking them to swap the potatoes for a green veggie which they have always been happy to do. I just choose the meat I want from the choices that night (just steer clear of anything fried/breaded) and then if it comes with potatoes/rice/pasta/polenta I look at the other entrees and find the green veggie being offered that night and ask them to substitute it. If other people in your party are low carbing as well you can ask that they not leave the bread basket. The often offer no sugar added desserts, but I tend to steer clear because they are still very high calorie. It can definitely be done! Lots of people will tell you that a cruise should be enjoyed and you shouldn't deprive yourself but I like to remind myself that the point of the cruise (for me at least) is to travel and explore new places not to eat myself into a food coma (which is so easy to do with all of the delicious options available!). I usually have a few bites throughout the cruise of things that I love and then enjoy the many low carb options they have! Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd stop in and report how cruise went low carb. After 10 days on cruise and on road I was up 1 lb. but quickly lost that. I didn't find it hard eating low carb although breakfast and dinner didn't have much variety Could get boring fast. Dinner was easy and by end of cruise had trained waiter to not bring me stuff with carbs. All in all it was a success and even my doctor was impressed that I didn't gain

• 1 month later...

Anyone have any "new ideas" for low carb desserts/sweet treats. My husband is a dessert/sweet fanatic but the doctor has recently told him he needs to try to go low carb/low sugar/Mediterranean/avoid sugars and flour, etc. So I need new ideas for "sweet treats".

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We have been eating low carb for 15 years and having taken maybe 35 cruises during that time, last year we were gone 6 weeks at a stretch. We find it easy to eat low carb on a ship and with variety. Any vegetable that is listed for any meal in the main dining room can be ordered as a side dish. We don't even ask for the carbs(rice, pasta) to be removed, we just don't eat them. Desserts are trickier. We sometimes get the cheese platter, sometimes we ask for fresh fruit or berries. Sometimes we just skip them and go see a show.