Less kids on an August cruise?

BopRN

I have been reading about summer cruises with over 1000 kids on board. Usually we cruise in May but couldn't this year. So we scheduled one for Aug. 9-16 without even thinking about the kids/teen population. In our area, school starts the 17th....what are the chances the kid population will be lower at this time? Has anyone cruised mid-August and had experience with this?

we have cruised in August with our kids - there were lots on board....I'm from Ohio and many schools don't start til the end of August (I think that year my kids went back a couple days after we got back) If you want to avoid kids, go very end of August or even into Sept.

I have been reading about summer cruises with over 1000 kids on board. Usually we cruise in May but couldn't this year. So we scheduled one for Aug. 9-16 without even thinking about the kids/teen population. In our area, school starts the 17th....what are the chances the kid population will be lower at this time? Has anyone cruised mid-August and had experience with this?

Our school year begins September 8 this year. We have friends with kids who are cruising the same week that you are.

Edited by stargate fan

On any given cruise year-round there are lots of kids. As home schooling becomes more prevalent and vacations are flexible, as more and more parents schedule vacations during normal school weeks and take their kids out of school just for that, there will always be a large number of kids on cruise ships. It is true that in summer, the number of kids cruising jumps up to 1000-1500 on nearly every ship. The count goes down some during normal school weeks. In addition, the week of Thanksgiving, Christmas, NYE, Winter break, Spring break, and Easter are all high-count times for kids on cruise ships.

If you want to cruise without kids, try a cruise line other than Carnival or try to convince Carnival to start sailing Adult-only cruises.

Good Luck...and Bon Voyage!

You know, I am guessing this is going to be very port and ship dependent.

We cruised several years ago out of Jacksonville on August 11th and barely noticed kids at all. I think the key is it was one of the older, smaller, ships and Jacksonville is a port that I venture most drive to, not fly to. Same with Charleston probably. Most of the southern states that people would be driving from (except Florida) are back in school by mid-August. I am not certain, but I would guess Florida locals are more likely to drive the extra couple of hours for a larger ship (or a port with more cruise line options)

We are cruising out of Jacksonville on August 15th this year, we will let you know!

Miami or Tampa or Port Canaveral, I would assume would most definitely be crawling with kids that same week much more so than a smaller port. Bigger, newer ships (more bells and whistles and more attractive for families with kids), and the families with kids from up north that probably aren't driving are going to find cheaper air fares to the larger cities.

I absolutely love cruising with lots of kids, teens and young adults. Makes a wonderful and pleasant change from traveling with a bunch of old foggies like me. Last spring break we were the oldest on board in our late 60s and it was great. Viva la Kids!

What about August 9th-16th?

On any given cruise year-round there are lots of kids. As home schooling becomes more prevalent and vacations are flexible, as more and more parents schedule vacations during normal school weeks and take their kids out of school just for that, there will always be a large number of kids on cruise ships. It is true that in summer, the number of kids cruising jumps up to 1000-1500 on nearly every ship. The count goes down some during normal school weeks. In addition, the week of Thanksgiving, Christmas, NYE, Winter break, Spring break, and Easter are all high-count times for kids on cruise ships.

If you want to cruise without kids, try a cruise line other than Carnival or try to convince Carnival to start sailing Adult-only cruises.

Good Luck...and Bon Voyage!

The OP never stated that she wanted to sail on a cruise without kids... She basically asked a very general and legitimate question as to if the percentage of children would be lower on an August cruise with the consideration that the school year was fast approaching. She stated that she normally cruises in May but could not this year ..... which leads one to believe that there certainly are particular times of the year where large numbers of children on board are of a lower percentage.

It really irks me that when someone comes on this board with a simple question that has to do with children or lack of that they are automatically prejudged as a person that does not like or care to sail with children.

Just for the record, we sailed on a Carnical 7 day the last week of October and there were only 90 children on board... yes 90 , and that was the week of Halloween so it does go to show that there are specific times of the year where the percentage of children are less than in the prime season which usually translates to the summer months and those weeks surrounding major a holiday.

It's like going to Disney World.... you know that there are going to be tons of kids but every Floridian knows to steer-clear during the summer months and holiday weekends....It's the same concept...... and this is coming from a Momma of 2...

Edited by FlaGrl4Evr

One way to avoid lot's of kids is to book longer cruises. Many families prefer 7 days or shorter.

I was on some that were 10-14 days and kids were hard to come by. Lots of older folks though.

No matter what, there will always be toddlers, babies, and home-schooled kids aboard. Their parents are not stuck to a school schedule. I was always on a school schedule long after our kids graduated--------my husband is a retired highschool teacher.

Now that we're retired we are free to go whenever.

Yes we cruise in August every year......TONS and TONS of kids of all ages.... It is prime vacation time.....does not bother us.

Sorry, but part of what you said simply isn't true, and may be misleading for the OP. There are SOME kids on board year round, true, but FAR fewer during the school year. I've cruised in Summer, Winter, and Fall. The difference between the number of kids in Fall and Winter (especially Fall) is marked. This may be somewhat less true on shorter cruises, but we usually do 7+ days, so I can't speak to the kid ratio on weekend cruises. Not calling you out. I just don't want the OP to be mislead.

Just think of it like this. Somewhere in this world in a couple of cities there will be about 500 kids that can't go because they have school, so that's about 500 kids you won't have to deal with and you go and enjoy your cruise!

Move that date forward one month and you will get less kids. That said, my friend has a family cruise booked for September. She lives in the South and the school system has some kind of break already in September. But for sure, any August date and lots of kids will be onboard.

Even before we started our own family, the kid factor has never determined when we book. With prices higher in the summer, homeschooling, non-traditional school calendars, etc. expect less and less cruises with only a few kids. Plus Carnival seems to focus mostly on family and first timers. None of which bothers me.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

We cruise usually in January, February, april, May so we can hopefully not have a bunch of kids on our cruise. There are always some, but not like some cruises I hear about. The grandkids are getting older so may do a June someday and take them. Lord help me. ;)

We've found that the 7 day and longer cruises in the late fall don't seem to have as many children. I've cruised in April, June, September, October, November and December.

April - first cruise, booked only 14 days before the cruise and I didn't know any better!

June - second cruise, had been trying to get DH to go for 27 years and bingo one day he says yes - heck, I'd have gone even if it was Spring Break at every school in the world, we had to walk to the port and we had to sleep under the waterslide!

September - we had really good luck with going the week of Labor Day. Many schools start that week and I was very surprised by the lack of children on that cruise.

October - Halloween specifically. Not many kids at all. I'm thinking there might have been 20 kids on board, seriously. On the Breeze no less! To be fair, it was an eight day to Aruba and I really believe that the longer cruises just have far less kids. I did see a TON of childish behavior on Halloween and loved every minute of it, might have even participated a little bit!!! :D :D :D

November/December - on Dream. I didn't feel like there were that many kids at all. Was very surprised again but it makes sense, we got home 20 days before Christmas. Most parents I know are busy at that time of year with presents, parties, decorations, etc.

This year we are doing another November/December crossover, this time an 11 night and I'm just not planning on it to have an over abundance of kids. I'm thinking it will be overrun with Platinums though! ;) Not a big deal, I just got FTTF and I'm pretty much on the same playing field, except for the Past Guest Party, cheesy gift (except for Tervis cups, Tervis is not cheesy) and some laundry! :D

We don't have kids (56 and 63) and we sort of try and plan those fall months now. Less expensive and less kids. Weather is a gamble but that is what makes it a good deal for us. I'm pretty happy with an extra sea day - more time to read a good book!

Summer cruises will have a lot of kids. There is no way to get around that.

We decided to cruise at the end of April right after Spring break or in the early Fall. I would prefer to sail with more kids than Spring Breakers.

Regardless, you will have a great time!! Enjoy your cruise :) I have a long wait for my next sail date.

I believe if you re-read the responses, the consensus of opinion is that there will be lots of children on August cruises.

Yes, thanks and if you re-read the member's post I quoted they did not answer the question posed by the OP and I am asking them for their experience in August. ;)