Healthier Food Options

nkochrn

I've been trying to increase my fruit and veggies and get rid of some carbs in my diet. I've discovered a few replacements over the last couple weeks that I was shocked how much I love! I'd love to hear more suggestions! Here are some of my successes:

I've been throwing a 3lb bag of chicken in the crockpot at the beginning of every week with a little coconut oil and some italian seasoning, cook for 8 hours, shreds up easily and I weight it out into 100gm portions through salads throughout the week. (My new favorite salad is lettuce, tomatoes, crushed melba toast, 2tbsp of BBQ sauce, and chicken, mixed well, it has a little crunch and I LOVE BBQ:)

I cut radishes in half and threw them in my crockpot with a roast and carrots in place of potatoes and they were "amazing" per my husband, tasted almost just like potatoes! Each radish has like 1 calorie in it!

I've used cauliflower to make spicy chicken "rice": (I've tried the cauliflower mashed potatoes before and my children thought they were disgusting and I was unimpressed)

200 g shredded chicken breast

1 cup chicken broth

1 head cauliflower (chopped into tiny rice size pieces, possible in food processor or grated like cheese)

1/2 tsp chili powder

1/2 tsp cumin

1/2 tsp garlic powder

Mix it all together and cook until cauliflower is soft and most of water has been cooked out. There's approximately 200 calories in this whole recipe :)

• 2 months later...

For about 2 months now i've been eating my morning egg on top of a bed of kale or arugala instead of bread. It sounds gross but it's SO good if you drizzle a little olive oil and sprinkle some salt and pepper over the greens.

Also, i've been eating a lot of chia seeds - sprinkled on salads, mixed into smoothies or in chia juice drinks. They keep me really full and they have complete protein!

Tuna salad made with light miracle whip, sliced tomatoes, red onion, and a drizzle of fat free, low sodium italian dressing wrapped up in a romaine lettuce leaf. Only about 130-140 calories (divide the single pack of tuna and make 2) and fills me up for hours.

Any lean meat seasoned with taco seasoning on a bed of lettuce topped with salsa and a bit of taco sauce. Much less calories than most salad dressings and is a nice change of flavor from regular salads for an easy low-carb meal. Sometimes I switch the meat for shredded cheese or add a glob of plain greek yogurt. I don't have this too often because it is very high in sodium(because I load up on the salsa).

I'm not a big salad eater, but these are my two fav's. I really like using romaine leaves as bread or wraps, though. BTW, I've lost 44 pounds since January :)

• 2 months later...

Over the past 2 years my eating habits have become horrible, which I am on a mission to improve!!

We have a farm market down the street from us and I found that buying really fresh veggies just make everything taste so much better. A little more work to go to the market, but worth it.

Try adding some dill and crushed garlic to your Italian seasoned chicken crock pot for something a bit different. Or cilantro, garlic, cumin, onion, corn, and black beans for a Mexican flair. We like it with brown rice or even over cauliflower "rice". A little cumin and a few chilis in the rice or cauliflower make it more flavorful.

Over the past 2 years my eating habits have become horrible, which I am on a mission to improve!!

We have a farm market down the street from us and I found that buying really fresh veggies just make everything taste so much better. A little more work to go to the market, but worth it.

Our city only has a farmer's market on Saturday morning and Wednesday afternoon, so it's not always that convenient to go. This type of farmer's market has several vendors from the area that brings their goods to sell. There's a great farmer's market about an hour from me that's open every day and I love it! We're usually over that way about once a week or once every two weeks, for sure, so I always try to hit it up and stock up on fresh fruits and veggies. I find it so much easier to eat healthy when I've got these things around. I've found that when I crave something sweet after supper that some watermelon or a big, juicy naval orange will usually do the trick.

• 3 months later...
I've been trying to increase my fruit and veggies and get rid of some carbs in my diet. I've discovered a few replacements over the last couple weeks that I was shocked how much I love! I'd love to hear more suggestions! Here are some of my successes:

I've been throwing a 3lb bag of chicken in the crockpot at the beginning of every week with a little coconut oil and some italian seasoning, cook for 8 hours, shreds up easily and I weight it out into 100gm portions through salads throughout the week. (My new favorite salad is lettuce, tomatoes, crushed melba toast, 2tbsp of BBQ sauce, and chicken, mixed well, it has a little crunch and I LOVE BBQ:)

I cut radishes in half and threw them in my crockpot with a roast and carrots in place of potatoes and they were "amazing" per my husband, tasted almost just like potatoes! Each radish has like 1 calorie in it!

I've used cauliflower to make spicy chicken "rice": (I've tried the cauliflower mashed potatoes before and my children thought they were disgusting and I was unimpressed)

200 g shredded chicken breast

1 cup chicken broth

1 head cauliflower (chopped into tiny rice size pieces, possible in food processor or grated like cheese)

1/2 tsp chili powder

1/2 tsp cumin

1/2 tsp garlic powder

Mix it all together and cook until cauliflower is soft and most of water has been cooked out. There's approximately 200 calories in this whole recipe :)

thanks again... they are great~~

For about 2 months now i've been eating my morning egg on top of a bed of kale or arugala instead of bread. It sounds gross but it's SO good if you drizzle a little olive oil and sprinkle some salt and pepper over the greens.

Also, i've been eating a lot of chia seeds - sprinkled on salads, mixed into smoothies or in chia juice drinks. They keep me really full and they have complete protein!

That's funny because during my biggest weight loss month (23lbs), my lunch EVERYDAY was a couple of soft boiled eggs broken over a bed of baby lettuce greens, salt and pepper. I couldn't believe how good it was!!

Pound for pound, chia is one of the most nutritionally dense foods.

I've been trying to increase my fruit and veggies and get rid of some carbs in my diet.........:

cook for 8 hours, shreds up easily and I weight it out into 100gm....

(My new favorite salad is lettuce, tomatoes, crushed melba toast, 2tbsp of BBQ sauce.....

Regarding carbs... what are you trying to eliminate?

100g is perfect amount!

That radish idea sounds awesome...thank you. I have recently developed a love of radishes so I look forward to trying this.