Cuba Cruising in near future?

medicalma'am

Opening the embassy back up is just the beginning. I am guessing we are years away from much else but could be wrong.

Would I want to have a port there? I have mixed feelings. Yes, I have heard it is a beautiful island and would love to see for myself, but the country political climate goes against everything I believe in.

Opening the embassy back up is just the beginning. I am guessing we are years away from much else but could be wrong.

Would I want to have a port there? I have mixed feelings. Yes, I have heard it is a beautiful island and would love to see for myself, but the country political climate goes against everything I believe in.

Well said. I could see visiting Cuba, since I went to the DDR, Czechoslovakia, Poland, and Hungary prior to the collapse of the Soviet Union.

My impression of those countries in the 80s was that it was so sad to see the stark difference between Eastern and Western Europe. In the East, the infrastructure was pathetic, with ruins from WWII still present. The department stores made a Salvation Army Thrift Shop look super. The people were lined up all the time to buy and people waited 17 years to buy a car.

I would rather wait until after the Castros are gone. We visited the Baltic states after our Russian River cruise in 2011 and everyone there kept telling us how happy they were to be free.

As for all the islands looking alike, there are similarities, but our favorite islands are Grenada and St. Lucia, which seem more authentically Caribbean. Of course, St. Thomas and St. John are great.

Yes, would love to go swimming in the Bay of Pigs, check out all the old cars still running.:cool:

I've heard people say when you visit Cuba its like stepping into the fifties and that's one of my favorite time periods

I've heard people say when you visit Cuba its like stepping into the fifties and that's one of my favorite time periods

Ah yes, no cell phones, no wifi, Korean War, forced school integration.:D

Ah yes, no cell phones, no wifi, Korean War, forced school integration.:D

Yes, but we had balanced budgets, low crime rates (no one locked their doors, left keys in car ignitions) and lots of western movies on Saturday.

Yes, would love to go swimming in the Bay of Pigs, check out all the old cars still running.:cool:

Last night, I watched a show on the Discovery Channel, called "Cuba Chrome." It features a group who restores the 50s American cars to a very high standard.

My husband and I hope that Cuba will allow U.S. cruise ships to establish ports-of-call soon. Carnival is planning cruises for those who wish to do volunteer work.

Yes, we want to visit Cuba as tourists, dine in their restaurants, enjoy their lovely beaches, and have a ride in a 1955 Buick.

I'd love to go. Many of the Caribbean countries have had pretty horrible leaders. Batista, who Castro kicked out, was probably worse for the average Cuban. Trujillo in the DR & the leadership for the past 60 years in Haiti, The Duvalier's etc, Daniel Ortega of Nicuragua, & Noriega of Panama were not exactly wonderful rulers.

Don't forget the fuel the ships use & the Saudis. Talk about a repressive regime.:eek:

Wouldn't go there if you gave it to me for free

I don't need the " bragging rites" and "oneupsman" thing in my life

It just shows how uninformed most Americans are about Cuba when they yearn to go there.

Of course the history and politics ofCuba since the 1950s will now be glossed over.....oh and the history books will be rewritten for our school kids here in America.....so as to not offend and to be politically correct

Oh and yes I know how much I would be helping the Cuban economy by spending my dollars there. Lol. Dont worry I can easily spend it here to help our economy too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums