I'm RUNNING to the ship!

Cruise Cat

This is a different kind of thread. I will not mention number of pounds lost or gained. I may speak in generalities about pounds, but the focus of this thread is MILES! I know if I eat normally and start RUNNING like I used to years back, my body will take care of itself.

So every runner or walker out there, join me in logging MILES between cruises and talking about all things related to running for our cruising health!

I've run three times in the past two weeks on the treadmill at the gym, so I condsider those Warm-ups and the real challenge starts tomorrow after work.

Be sure to state your mileage each time you update your totals so we can keep each other honest.

I home some marathon runners even show up on this thread to push us all to keep running.

Cruise Booked: 2/26/2006

Cruise Date: 8/27/2006

Miles Logged: 0

Thanks Adam, please visit this thread often and post as you work your way back into things.

Never did a Marathon. Longest race I've done is a 10K. My Father-in-Law and Step-Mother-In-Law have been running in a couple of marathons a year for about 6 years now. That is in the back of my mind for after the cruise if I run the way I hope. There is one not too far away from here near the end of the year

Chuck

DAY 1

After a bit of thought last night, I have set my Target Goal of Miles at 900 before the cruise (180 days). That is an average of 5 miles per day and as long as I make that goal I won't be disappointed. The total was derrived from the complex formula of multiplying the basic distance from my house to the ship by 3. I have also developed a Stretch Goal of 1000 miles. Why? Because it just sounds better. That is an average of 5.55 miles per day, and based on Adams post of what a dedicated marathon runner can average in a week, this seems highly acheivable.

With that said, here are today's totals:

Day 1: 6.0 miles, 0 incline, 75 minutes and 54 seconds, 634 calories burned, one blister forming on left foot. This was about half running and and a fast walk for the other half (back and forth).:)

OVERALL TOTALS

Miles Logged: 6.0

Miles to Go: 994.0

Days Left: 179

Chuck

Cruisecat- Very cool idea! I used to do this with my swimming and actually "swam the English Channel" while my older kids were in preschool.:D Somehow I don't have time to drive 20 miles to the pool every day right now. I goofed up my knee doing the Mini in Indy a few years back and can't really run any more but I'm going to ride my bike with you on this one. Not sure where I'm riding to yet but I'll think about it and let you know. I've got some time because with a new baby my riding is coming in 15 minute shots right now.:D

Tami

Day 2: 5.0 miles, 0 incline, 63 minutes (?? didn't write it down and forgot exact), 525 calories burned, blisters forming on feet are OK thanks to softer socks and a tightening of the laces.:) Going for a 5-6 mile day tomorrow and then Thursday will be a rest day.

OVERALL TOTALS

Miles Logged: 11.0

Miles to Go: 989.0

Calories Burned: 1159

Days Left: 178

Chuck

cruise cat - i think that this is a great idea!:D

i would love to join in (in my own way) - i am not a runner of marathons or races at all, but i do believe that the way to great health is one step at a time. i have already come up with an idea of a long term goal for myself (well past how long we'll all be posting i'm sure, but i will stick to it on my own as well - i'm a trooper!!!:) ) - basically as follows:

i'm going on my 5 year anniversary cruise, departing from Rome which is about 4400 miles from where we live - so if it took me 5 years to get to Rome, i can make it back in 5 years MAXIMUM. i'm choosing this slow pace because i don't currently run, but do work out on the treadmill, stairclimber and crosstrainer at the gym frequently (all of which post the number of miles travelled), so it doesn't hurt for me to keep track of that number! i'm starting with a mini-target of 204 miles by the time we cruise (may 26) and after we get back, if i am well ahead of my goal i will readjust to a more reasonable time frame. i will only count the miles that i do on the gym equipment (i also do step classes and tae-bo, etc, etc but that will not be counted toward my miles logged) - it seems easier that way! after crunching my numbers (roughly, i won't know until i truly undertake this endeavour), this seems reasonably acceptable for me to accomplish without injury or running myself ragged. i plan on starting tomorrow (getting over a rough cold, and i think i need this one extra night to make sure that i am 100% to go!)

i think that i will also try to talk the hubby into this one as well (i know that he won't post though) - and when we 'make it back' from Rome, it should be in time to celebrate another anniversary - with another cruise to look forward to!!!

good luck to you, and everyone else who is going to exercise their way to a wonderful place, and i will start posting tomorrow!!!:)

jocey

Jocey - Great idea. We are doing the Med in two years for our 10th anniversary:) If you are doing it for one of your milestone anniversaries also, then it must be a good idea! Great minds....:rolleyes: I probably need to set a two and a half year goal as well then, I just don't know when exactly in 2008 we will be going.

Day 3: 4.0 miles, 0 incline, 49 minutes and 28 seconds, 426 calories burned, blisters forming on feet are OK/stopped; learned that my socks are softer on the feet if I turn them inside out. Rest day tomorrow.

OVERALL TOTALS

Miles Logged: 15.0

Miles to Go: 985.0

Calories Burned: 1585

Days Left: 177

Chuck

Chuck,

As far as cushioning on your socks, pick yourself up a couple pairs of extra thick Thorlo running socks. You can get them at any running store and Galyans (now called Dicks) , REI, Sports Authority. They will also pull moisture away from your feet. As far as blisters, if they occur in one particular area, band-aid makes blister bandages that protect the area from rubbing, which is really what causes blisters.

Congratulations on logging 15 miles already. I will have to get some long runs in once I get clearance from my doctor to return to running. One thing with running a treadmill, research has shown that you have to set the incline at 1.0 to get the equivalent of running on flat roads. A zero incline is actually a negative posture, which may be damaging to your knees. A One may actually be more comfortable, especially over the long term.

Day 4 was a scheduled rest day, but I took Day 5 off as well. Back on day 2 as I was approaching my 3.1 mile split, I kicked the treadmill up quite a bit to ensure I would better my time from the previous day, even though everyone knows not to do this. While taking some long strides, I believe I tweaked something deep in my left Glut. It didn't bother me untill the morning of Day 4, after the long drive to work. So I gave it an extra day. I felt it just a little today, but this morning's low performance had more to do with a hangover than anything.

Day 6: 1.25 miles, 1.0 incline (Took Adam's advice!), 15 minutes and 58 seconds, 144 calories burned. Long run planned for tomorrow.

OVERALL TOTALS

Miles Logged: 16.25

Miles to Go: 983.75

Calories Burned: 1729

Days Left: 174

Chuck

I'll join in ! Running for a long time. Did 5 this morning 44 minutes

Best thing a ever bought.... Garmin, Keeps track of everything

PS Going on brilliance April 17th

Fantasitic Plan. DH and I are not sailing again for 2 years, so we have lots of time to work on this. We live in Canada so we have many miles to go before we can get to the ship. Now I am saving money for the trip, trying to add to my airmiles fund to pay for flights and need to keep track of the miles DH and I have run to get there by May 2008. So much to do and so little time.

Ok - I've got 380 days (a year and 2 weeks), and I live 1395 miles from the ship. Works out to 3.75 miles per day. That'll be tough for me, because I'm not currently running, but, if I do it, then all of my fitness goals will be accomplished in the next year and in time for that cruise. I used to run 5 miles per day, and I can point to the day that I stopped as the day that I started to get fat. That was almost 20 years ago . . . so

Count Me In! I'm walking, treadmilling, running to the ship! In fact, I'll make an extra trip the health club today to get started. I shared this w/ my DW, and she thinks its a stretch, but she's going to try, too. I'm not sure she'll be posting her results, but I'll let you know how she's doing. She's starting out in MUCH better shape than I am.

Thanks for starting this, Chuck.

Dan

Dan - Remember, it's not a strait line average. You will average less per week as you start up and more per week somewhere near the end. Plan is for it to all average out!

Everyone - Let's run/walk/bike/crawl to our ships!!!!!

Hi,

I just booked my next cruise yesterday. I always get remotivated to work out when I have a trip planned. I leave one year from yesterday, but I meet the ship in Argentina. That is over 5000 miles away. So, I decided to walk to where I'll change planes, which is only Miami, 1520 miles. That works out to an average of 4.1 per day or 29 per week. I'll have to really pick it up as I've just started exercising and only managed 1.5 today.

Start date: 3/5/06

Cruise: 3/4/07

Miles walked: 1.5

Miles to go: 1518.5

Stacy

hi all,

i'm happy to report that i have finally started my journey (finally over a lingering cold) - but i forgot my log book in my gym bag, so i'll have to post my results thus far later on tonight!

good to see we have more people joining - cruise cat, thanks for starting this thread!

keep up the good work, everyone!

jocey