Alaska cruises

It is said that Princess and Holland America have the most permits for Glacier Bay (National Park). We sailed on the HAL Statendam in 2009, Vancouver to Seward. It was very nice!

Whether you want to sail through to Alaska (or Alaska one-way south) -- OR do a closed loop up the inland waterway will also affect the answers you get. Have you thought about those options?

What are the MUST DO's in your heads? That will help people give helpful answers. Also if you have cruised elsewhere, if you like formal nights with set dinner times, or something more casual?

My wife and I are planing an Alaskan cruise next year [2015] and are curious if there any major differences in any of the cruise lines, any one better than the other. Were hoping for a late May, early June cruise to avoid the summer crowds

The best place for Alaska cruise questions is on the Alaska board. Here is the link. ;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Princess, HAL, and maybe one or two other lines will have a naturalist on board during the glacier cruising to narrate what can be seen. When we were on the Sapphire Princess in 2004, everyone was up on deck or on their balcony early in the morning. Except our pensive little one (7 at the time) who wasn't too thrilled about being dragged out of bed at 7 am by her father. We got her to change into jeans (I think she did keep on her PJ top) and put on her jacket. The bribe: hot chocolate in the buffet. At one point, the naturalist pointed out a bear cavorted on a "beach."

2314382750103777938xEncMY_fs_zps808bf085.jpg

I think that any ship that goes INTO the National Park, has to take a Park Ranger on board, and that person will give a narration. I actually don't remember what was said, but I'm sure it was very good! I was just all agog at everything! It's all bigger than life!

The more I think about it, the more I want to do it again!