2 questions - 1 re: AMA - 1 re cabins

coolerchick

Got a question for the cruise experts, please.

I thought that all cruise lines (including AMA) pricing included tips and I was just told by my TA that this is not the case.

Can someone confirm, please.

Also, we are looking at booking a room that is right at the FRONT of the ship. Next to the stairs/elevator and dinning room.

Has anyone ever been right at the front? Did you hear the elevator? Did you smell the food from the dining room?

Thanks!

I thought that all cruise lines (including AMA) pricing included tips and I was just told by my TA that this is not the case.

Also, we are looking at booking a room that is right at the FRONT of the ship. Next to the stairs/elevator and dinning room.

Has anyone ever been right at the front? Did you hear the elevator? Did you smell the food from the dining room?

Thanks!

I can only speak about AMA, since I haven't cruised on other river lines.

Tips are included for the porters who handle your luggage and for the servers in restaurants on the various towns, if a lunch somewhere is part of an excursion. You may also tip the excursion guide at the end of each excursion, usually 1 or 2 Euros per person.

However, you are expected to tip the Cruise Director separately and a general tip for the entire boat crew. Guidelines are provided in your documents, 3 Euros per day per person for the CD and 12 Euros per day per person for the boat crew.

Regarding the cabin, on my last cruise I had cabin 101 on the Amacerto, which is on the lower deck (some call it the "Aquarium" class) and it is the very first on the front of the ship. It was very comfortable and never had any problem with noise, etc.

I hope this helps.

Sergio

Thanks!

Hi, we just got back from sailing the AMACERTO. We were in cabin 206 on the Cello deck, 3 cabins back from the stairs and elevators. We did not hear the elevators or smell the food from the dining room. Even when we were in the hallway by the stairs going to the dining room we did not smell the food. also, the tips were not included in the price. They were extra.

AMA does not include tipping in their pricing. $12 to $15 per person per day is the recommended gratuity. We were mid ship on the middle deck, no food smells. Elevator is not used very much, not like the big ocean liners. Most people just use the stairs, of course there will be some who do need to use them.

Okay, thanks all. The room they are offering right at the front - near the stairs. Shouldn't be a big deal I suppose.

I'm sorry, I forgot to say it's for a 2014 cruise. I thought all cruise lines were going to be adding tips to the price next year.

I'm sorry, I forgot to say it's for a 2014 cruise. I thought all cruise lines were going to be adding tips to the price next year.

Tauck and Scenic already include gratuities - Uniworld will be including them for 2014. All of the these companies have cruise prices that reflect the included gratuities.

We have gratuities included in our Avalon cruise next year - but it was some type of promotion that our TA noticed and confirmed for us. But, it is only for the cruise.... Anything pre/post (we are one night in Monte Carlo, and 2 in Paris) are NOT included, if I understand it correctly.

Also - it may only be for the cruise - not the excursion guides. I will be confirming that before we go (next June).

Fran

AMA does not include tips in their pricing. It would be nice if they did. Avalon also does not include tips. Those are the only two lines we have personally sailed.

We had the very last cabin on an Avalon cruise and it was noisy as people congregated around the main staircase. It would not be my first choice.

Okay, thanks all. The room they are offering right at the front - near the stairs. Shouldn't be a big deal I suppose.

Have you asked if other cabins are available, or is that he only one left in a specific category?

tips will be inc.as part of their package.We just had this done on an AMA cruise.We also got %5 cash back.Sorry,can t give names.but try googling luxury cruise travel agents in Dallas ,Tx.Or simply call a few and ASK.

As said,only a few river cruises inc.these tips(we are taking Scenic next yr.,so we ll see if all the perks inc.are worth price).Did love BOTH AMA trips I took(splurged for 2 balcony cabin,and WORTH EVERY PENNY).:D

Have you asked if other cabins are available, or is that he only one left in a specific category?

It's the only one available - a suite. The rest are booked (already for May 2014).

I actually have a TA who is very nice and she was the one that mentioned that AMA do not include tips. However I wanted to check with you guys too.

Every time someone says something about river cruises - I research it on here first :)

She did say that the nor for tipping is 20 euro a day per person.

She did say that the nor for tipping is 20 euro a day per person.

This is inaccurate. In Europe, it is recommended at 12E per person, per day for staff pool and 3 per person per day for the cruise director. Since it is discretionary, some tip more and some less.

This is inaccurate. In Europe, it is recommended at 12E per person, per day for staff pool and 3 per person per day for the cruise director. Since it is discretionary, some tip more and some less.

See! Now that's why whatever anyone tells me (TA included) I check here to verify. Thanks!

See! Now that's why whatever anyone tells me (TA included) I check here to verify. Thanks!

It was correct on our last AMA cruise, in November. I cannot imagine they would increase it so much. Perhaps very recent cruisers can comment.

It was correct on our last AMA cruise, in November. I cannot imagine they would increase it so much. Perhaps very recent cruisers can comment.

Actually, you are right. I did a sitewide search on AMA and found exactly what you had suggested as a tip.

Of course I can't find it now that I look for it again...

Hi. I'm onboard AmaPrima right now and had a chat with owner Rudi Schreiner today, and he explained why he didn't want tips to be included. A tip, he said, is to reward good service. He hopes you'll get such good service from the crew that you'll want to -- but crew needs to earn it. Yes, the $12 - $15 per day figure is accurate.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Hi. I'm onboard AmaPrima right now and had a chat with owner Rudi Schreiner today, and he explained why he didn't want tips to be included. A tip, he said, is to reward good service. He hopes you'll get such good service from the crew that you'll want to -- but crew needs to earn it. Yes, the $12 - $15 per day figure is accurate.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Hey, thanks. That I can understand and it makes sense. Although it is rare, even in restaurants these days to not see added tip.

I actually do prefer it though I tend to OVER tip when someone gives good service.

Enjoy your cruise!

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

I was wondering how AMA's Australian partner APT fits in with this reasoning as if you travel with APT on an AMA boat your tips ARE included? Must make the after cruise accounting and tip distribution a bit complicated.

Ozjohnno - I have heard that APT charters some of the AMA cruises - that would make tipping easy because the entire sailing would be tips included. Do they also place Australian passengers on the regular AMA sailings, with tips included in the fare?--that would indeed make accounting complicated.

Archived