Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
NEW! Find Your ROYAL CARIBBEAN Roll Call

Old September 17th, 2013, 03:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

I feel like the cruise lines say things to discourage passengers from going on their own or getting outside excursion. The most common is that the ship will not wait if you aren't on a ship sponsored excursion.

During our cruise in the Mediterranean one of my teenagers was so anxious about missing the ship he made it miserable for all of us. I think the counselors in the teen club put that in his head. My son was worried to death that we wouldn't make it back. He tried to rush us through the Vatican and we finally decided to cancel trying to go to the Colosseum. I had to tell him that I'd been waiting my whole life to see the Sistine chapel to get him to shut up for a while but once we saw it he started right back up.

We tried to reassure him that even if we missed the ship we could take a train and meet it at the next port. We told him if the trains weren't running we would hire a car. We told him we would fly home as a last resort. I felt sorry for him because he was so intimidated by the language barrier and the currency etc. He relaxed and had a good time on the ship but Florence and Rome make him very anxious.

Obviously we arrived back at the ship 3 hours ahead of time. He calmed down in Naples.

Cruise History

Carnival Triumph 6/1012
Carnival Conquest 7/2011
Norwegian Jade 8/2010
Carnival Ecstacy 6/2009
Norwegian Star 8/2008
Carnival Ecstacy 1/2008
Carnival Conquest 7/2007
Carnival Elation 1/2006
Disney Wonder 6/2004
Jubilee 7/2003

Old September 17th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Excursions

I'd suggest going to the port-of-call section of this website and asking for recommendations on tours. We also much prefer private tours/private drivers.
Someone suggested caution in taking the ferry to Cancun on your own. I agree would would book this one through the ship to be certain of getting back on time. Here's another vote for Nachi Cocum in Cozumel ... it's a fabulous, relaxing day on the beach with really wonderful Mexican food. Because of the extreme poverty in both Haiti and Jamaica, I'd play it safe and book through the ship. Having said that we did take the grandkids to Sunset Grande in Ocho Rios. However, I read lots of reviews and knew the bus would pick us up and that it was a short 10 minute ride to the resort. The ship was within sight the entire time.

Old September 17th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrD View Post
Aren't you going to Grand Cayman also?

After 20 years and 12 cruises we finally did a private tour last year, we used fat fish adventures in Grand Cayman. It was great and no similar tour was available through RCCL.

We will do more private tours in the future.

I too worry about missing ship, but as long as tour ends well before departure it's hard to go wrong. I'd certainly sign up for morning tour if you go private
Allure & Oasis does not tender in Grand Cayman.

Review Links:
My Freedom of the Seas Review of 10/13/13
Western Caribbean Cruise:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1934831

My Serenade of the Seas Review of 10/10/10
Southern Caribbean Cruise:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1297487

Up Next:
Adventure - (Southern) - Aruba Route

Previous Cruises:
Freedom - Western, Serenade (Southern)- Barbados Route & Sovereign - Bahamas

Old September 17th, 2013, 04:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05mak05 View Post
I'd suggest going to the port-of-call section of this website and asking for recommendations on tours. We also much prefer private tours/private drivers.
Someone suggested caution in taking the ferry to Cancun on your own. I agree would would book this one through the ship to be certain of getting back on time. Here's another vote for Nachi Cocum in Cozumel ... it's a fabulous, relaxing day on the beach with really wonderful Mexican food. Because of the extreme poverty in both Haiti and Jamaica, I'd play it safe and book through the ship. Having said that we did take the grandkids to Sunset Grande in Ocho Rios. However, I read lots of reviews and knew the bus would pick us up and that it was a short 10 minute ride to the resort. The ship was within sight the entire time.
What does poverty have to do with anything as far as booking an excursion through the ship or private?? Labadee Hati is RCI's private area and the things to do there can only be booked through the ship.

Review Links:
My Freedom of the Seas Review of 10/13/13
Western Caribbean Cruise:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1934831

My Serenade of the Seas Review of 10/10/10
Southern Caribbean Cruise:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1297487

Up Next:
Adventure - (Southern) - Aruba Route

Previous Cruises:
Freedom - Western, Serenade (Southern)- Barbados Route & Sovereign - Bahamas

Old September 18th, 2013, 08:14 AM
Cool Cruiser

It is a personal thing and i think it should be left up to the crusier. We have done both and it would depend on the time and location.