Considering Paul Gauguin

PhillyGirl2

My husband and I have been on 20 cruises and enjoy smaller ships. Can anyone who has sailed on Paul Gauguin give me some feedback on this line. My favorite line is Seabourn. Does Paul Gauguin compare with it? My other question is about shore excursions. Are any tours or excursions included or are they all an additional charge. It appears that if we do the Fiji to Cairns trip, we just can't get off the ship and wander on our own. If anyone has taken this itinerary, I would truly appreciate your feedback. Thanking you in advance.

Your bar is set very high with Seabourn.

What the PG delivers better than anyone else IMO is the Polynesian spirit. As the PG is in the South Pacific 99% of the time they have perfected the hospitality of the Polynesian spirit better than anyone other cruise line IMO. The PG oozes Polynesia ;)

You may want to consider Windstar. I've sailed both lines in FP and consider the Windstar trips to be superior in terms of food, service and accommodations.

Tours and excursions are not included on either line.

Edited by 6rugrats

I didnt know that Windstar does the Fiji to Cairns trip!

PG has small cabins ( 200 sq feet) except for suites. It does bring the spirit of Polynesia into the ship.

Where the PG excels is service and heart. Yes we have eaten better food but in the ultimate analysis food is just food. You dont go to any ship for the food. Havent been on Seabourn but have been on Crystal recently and am a regular Regent cruiser. For all of that my heart is on the PG and thats why it draws us back time and time again.

I dont understand why you cannot get off the ship and wander. It could be that things to see are a distance away. When we went on the PG Papeete to Fiji. We got off in the Fiji ports and engaged a taxi for the day to take us around. However in French Polynesia with limited infrastructure it makes better sense to arrange a tour in advance ( either private or with the ship).