Need help re: room selection

OPSnorkeler

We have just put a 24 hour hold on the deck #7 stateroom #767 for a September 2015 PG cruise. (We will be celebrating our 40th anniversary.)

We would appreciate any input on this stateroom. The agent that we spoke to said that these aft balconies are very popular, but we have never done anything except a mid-deck balcony on larger cruise ships. We have never cruised FP, so we are not familiar with how rough or calm the waters are. Would we have excellent views from the aft or would we be better on port/starboard? Will there be more noise in the aft stateroom? Any and all opinions will be appreciated.

My favorite itinerary :)

FYI, it can be a bit rough between the Cooks and FP.

There really isn't a bad cabin on this ship. 767 is below the outdoor lounge area next to the bar area for late night dancing. If your SGD is shut it won't be an issue but if your the type that like to leave the SGD open you might hear something.

Your also just above the outdoor area for morning breakfast. Some people will sit outdoors so if your using the balcony you might hear them.

Don't let this influence going, the 11 night run between the Society Islands of FP and Rarotonga/Aitutaki is very nice and delivers big time ..........

Edited by Tikiintahiti

Two issue on the aft balconies on the PG my friends just returned from the ship ( Feb 5th cruise) and these were their comments

These balconies tend to get some soot so they had to check each time they sat. It didnt happen everyday but on some days. Since you will be at sea a few days you could have a problem there as it was often at sea that they had a problem.

There seemed to be a hornets nest in the area as they would buzz around and disturb their peace. I am sure this will be taken care of by the time you get there next year.

Others have also found noise to be an issue on some days.

Thanks Emdee. I am a little confused though. I just looked at the itinerary again and I don't see any sea days on the 7 day itinerary.

If we decide against the aft balcony, the agent is giving us a choice of a balcony near aft on the port side. Do you feel that there is a preference for port or starboard on the 7-day Tahiti and the Society Islands itinerary?

Thanks Emdee. I am a little confused though. I just looked at the itinerary again and I don't see any sea days on the 7 day itinerary.

If we decide against the aft balcony, the agent is giving us a choice of a balcony near aft on the port side. Do you feel that there is a preference for port or starboard on the 7-day Tahiti and the Society Islands itinerary?

My mistake I thought you were doing the Cooks itinerary!

I have been on 4th deck for my two seven days.

Other than in Raitea other ports were tender ports so it doesnt really matter where you are. The ship will turn around on its anchors and honestly in places like Bora Bora or Motu Mahana all views are beautiful!

I have never had an issue where I am located (Port vs starboard) on these FP cruises.

On our last PG cruise some friends had cabin 767. It was nice size and had a large balcony with great views. They loved it. They said the cabin moved a little more than one they had in the middle of the ship several years earlier but it was tolerable. They never complained of a problem with noise from the restaurant below but on a few occasions they heard music from the disco above them and called the main desk and soon after the music died down. They didn't mention a soot problem and I know they spent a lot of time on their balcony.

Thanks very much for your help. We have decided that we will keep stateroom #767. Although this cruise is very far in the future, we are very excited about seeing FP, experiencing the PG and celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary.

We were in cabin 767 at the beginning of February. In addition to the soot problems mentioned by Emdee we also had an issue with the seal on the sliding door being broken. This resulted in water seeping in and making the carpet inside the door constantly damp and musty. In addition, without the door sealed properly you get a lot of the diesel smell from the engines seeping in. We brought this to the attention of Housekeeping early on in the cruise, but it was not fixed by the time we disembarked the ship. Hopefully it is fixed by now. Our friends next door did not experience this issue.

• 2 months later...
Thanks for your info on the location. I forgot to say that we are not on the 11 day cruise. This will be the 7 day Tahiti and the Society islands. Will this be a smoother itinerary?

We hit very rough seas between Bora Bora and Moorea. Half the ship was very sea sick.

We renewed our vows in Bora Bora at the private beach, and it was lovely, perhaps out favorite part of the entire cruise. They did a really great job with it, and we felt it was well worth the small cost.

• 3 weeks later...

If you are sailing around Tahiti and not on a long one way cruise to Singapore or Australia, you will be find in an aft cabin. The smoothest ride regarding rocking and rolling is MIDSHIP. We just got off Paul Gauguin last week and there is very bad vibration problem in the AFT section in both the cabins and dining areas.

HOWEVER, she is going into dry dock in late June or July to reportedly fix this problem.

IF you are concerned about motion, stay midship if you are not just sailing in lagoon waters. If you are sailing in and around Tahiti, you should be fine with the wonderful view of an aft cabin.

If you are sailing around Tahiti and not on a long one way cruise to Singapore or Australia, you will be find in an aft cabin. The smoothest ride regarding rocking and rolling is MIDSHIP. We just got off Paul Gauguin last week and there is very bad vibration problem in the AFT section in both the cabins and dining areas.

HOWEVER, she is going into dry dock in late June or July to reportedly fix this problem.

IF you are concerned about motion, stay midship if you are not just sailing in lagoon waters. If you are sailing in and around Tahiti, you should be fine with the wonderful view of an aft cabin.

Glad to hear they're going to get that vibration fixed. It was pretty bad when we were on it.

• 1 month later...

Any update on aft balcony stateroom # 767? Hoping that the vibration and mold smell mentioned by others has been taken care of. Would love to hear from anyone who has been in or near this room recently.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Rocks it does. This will me my third in it. Would have been in it a third and fourth time but the upgrade gods swooped in and put me on deck 6.

I can't wait to see my surprise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by twin123185

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

We just got off P.G. We were on the repeaters cruise in room 765 next to 767. They had a little bit of a musty smell in their room. The biggest complaint they had was the banging of furniture being moved at I think they said 5:30 in the morning on deck 8. I am a heavy sleeper so I didn't even hear it ,but my husband said he heard it too, but it didn't really bother him either. At times I did feel a little vibration in our room but once again it didn't really bother me. We both had A/C problems but they were quickly fixed. However the A/C vent is right over the middle of your bed so it blows down on the head which I find annoying. After the A/C was fixed we grabbed a hand towel and duck tape that we brought from home and taped the hand towel in a swooping fashion on either side of the vent which directed the air off to the sides away from our head. Problem solved.

I would say that if you are someone that is a light sleeper and once you are awake you can't fall back to sleep you might want to switch rooms.

If you want any more info let me know.

• 1 month later...

We also have our 40th next year and are currently booked in a suite on the Pacific Princess. However it is in Nov which I am concerned is too rainy (we want sun for the best scenic views) plus it's a bad time for me work-wise.

I am considering PG (never done PG before) due to the rave reviews and that it runs more often than just Oct-Feb.

We love aft suites but PG suite prices are WAAAY above Princess even after factoring in airfare, gratuities, etc.

Any guidance on how to select PG to get a great aft and/or suite-like experience at more like Princess pricing would be greatly appreciated!

Or am I overly concerned about the suite experience and on PG a "regular" experience is akin to a "suite experience" on Princess?

And is the PG ship so great and in port most daytimes that an aft isn't that special?

Thanks!

Edited by KruzeKrazy!

I hope you have an owners suite on the Pacific Princess. That's the ONLY way to go on that ship. Also make sure it's the back of the ship. If not take the PG. The regular experience on PG is better. However as one who has done both - I prefer PG by a mile but Princess in an owners suite In Tahiti is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by twin123185

We also have our 40th next year and are currently booked in a suite on the Pacific Princess. However it is in Nov which I am concerned is too rainy (we want sun for the best scenic views) plus it's a bad time for me work-wise.

I am considering PG (never done PG before) due to the rave reviews and that it runs more often than just Oct-Feb.

We love aft suites but PG suite prices are WAAAY above Princess even after factoring in airfare, gratuities, etc.

Any guidance on how to select PG to get a great aft and/or suite-like experience at more like Princess pricing would be greatly appreciated!

Or am I overly concerned about the suite experience and on PG a "regular" experience is akin to a "suite experience" on Princess?

And is the PG ship so great and in port most daytimes that an aft isn't that special?

Thanks!

We are taking our first PG in January and have booked the basic suite. On all inclusives we usually take the standard cabin as all are treated "First Class". We were in 6088 (Aft Owner's Suite) on Pacific Princess in Alaska and it was fantastic. Yes, I will miss that great aft wrap balcony but the other perks and more are included in PG. Flip that coin.:eek::D:D