Comparing the 14-day Marquesas to 13-day Fiji

Eliger

I noticed on one thread that Emdee had been on a Fiji cruise. We were on the Society Islands and Marquesas cruise last May and are thinking of the Tahiti to Fiji cruise for next May. Could Emdee or others who would have done both provide a comparison between the two itineraries? It would be very much appreciated. :)

Gerry

Hi Gerry

I will think of some points of comparison.

If you want to see my Fiji pics they are on my site

miriamdcunha.smugmug.com

I enjoyed both very much but only got to see two of the islands in the marquesas.

My two cents - the PG is in its element within FP. I got to 4 islands in the Marquesas and it was awesome. I have only ben to Suva in Fiji on the PG and to me it was a dump. However I have heard other areas are much nicer. If it were me - I would consider the Cook Islands for your next trip.

We've done both itineraries. The Marquesas are very interesting and beautiful. And extremely hot. Everything is about the rugged beauty of the islands and the history of the people. It was very worthwhile, but I wouldn't go back. On the other hand I would do the Fiji trip again in a heart beat. We snorkeled in the Cooks, Tonga and Fiji, and have never seen such magnificent coral and fish. We took a canoe trip up a river in Suva to experience a kava ceremony. Very worthwhile. This trip included history and the cultures of other people, but the shear beauty of the underwater world was incredible and unforgettable.

Thank you all for your comments. You have provided excellent views to help make our decision. Some comments were discouraging and the reaction was not to go. However other comments were encouraging and we will give the Fiji cruise serious consideration. I agree with Gabelle - we loved the Marquesas, but there are so many other places to visit. We would not consider going again. There are places that we have visited many times and we don't get tired of them. I will look at the Cook Islands itinerary again, but I would be leaning toward the Fiji itinerary.

Any other comments are very welcome. :)

Gerry

We also did the 14 day Society, Marquesa cruise back in April. Had a great time. Next May/June we doing a 14 day Fiji cruise with stops at Luganville, Port Stanley, Port Vila, Tanna in Vanuatu, Lifou, Noumea and Lles des Pins in New Caledonia along with Malolo in Fiji. We are looking forward to this trip as something different another part of the world we haven't been to. :cool:

We have done the Cook Island and the 10 night PG cruise. We were also on the ill fated Australia to Tahiti PG 18 night cruise which stopped in Fiji. We have also done a 14 night land based trip to Fiji.

If you can add 4+ days to Fiji as a land vacation I would jump on that. If you can only do the cruise I would do the Cook Islands. The Fiji port of Suva is not great and IMHO not worthwhile unless you end up on land in Fiji. The snorkeling and diving is great.

• 2 months later...
Are you booked on the 14 night Paul Gauguin cruise from Tahiti to Fiji next May? We are doing that one. We had done one other 10 night cruise on the PG and loved it so we are looking forward to this one.

We are booked on the May 17, 2014 cruise from Tahiti to Fiji. It is actually a 13 day cruise. It seems like it is 14 days, from the 17th to the 31st, but we lose a day at the International Date Line. :rolleyes:

Gerry

• 2 months later...
We've done both itineraries. The Marquesas are very interesting and beautiful. And extremely hot. Everything is about the rugged beauty of the islands and the history of the people. It was very worthwhile, but I wouldn't go back. On the other hand I would do the Fiji trip again in a heart beat. We snorkeled in the Cooks, Tonga and Fiji, and have never seen such magnificent coral and fish. We took a canoe trip up a river in Suva to experience a kava ceremony. Very worthwhile. This trip included history and the cultures of other people, but the shear beauty of the underwater world was incredible and unforgettable.

My senttiments exactly.:D