Papeete to Hilton Moorea advice

lhall85917

We will be leaving our ship for one night while it docks overnight in Papeete and staying at the Hilton Moorea, reboarding the ship when it arrives in Moorea. From what I've read, we can take a ferry from Papeete to Moorea fairly easily then catch a cab to the Hilton. I've also seen something about contacting the Hilton and they will pick you up at the pier?

Our plan is to head over there around noon and try to spend as much time at the OWB as possible then return around noon to the ship the next day.

This will be a once in a lifetime thing for us so would love any suggestions for making this as special as possible and advice for getting back and forth between the ship, dock, and hotel.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I emailed the Hilton and pre arranged for them to pick us up at the ferry - a guy was waiting with our name on a card which was great - the cost was also about half of taking a taxi - I forget how much - I think 8.00 each so 16.00 versus about 30 for the taxi -

Hi

I emailed the Hilton and pre arranged for them to pick us up at the ferry - a guy was waiting with our name on a card which was great - the cost was also about half of taking a taxi - I forget how much - I think 8.00 each so 16.00 versus about 30 for the taxi -

This is very helpful, thank you! Any advice for our one night stay at the Hilton?

Hi

Only $8 per person? Did the driver give you an opportunity to stop at a store before going to the hotel?

Thanks, Zoe

• 2 weeks later...
We will be leaving our ship for one night while it docks overnight in Papeete and staying at the Hilton Moorea, reboarding the ship when it arrives in Moorea. From what I've read, we can take a ferry from Papeete to Moorea fairly easily then catch a cab to the Hilton. I've also seen something about contacting the Hilton and they will pick you up at the pier?

Our plan is to head over there around noon and try to spend as much time at the OWB as possible then return around noon to the ship the next day.

This will be a once in a lifetime thing for us so would love any suggestions for making this as special as possible and advice for getting back and forth between the ship, dock, and hotel.

We are planning on doing this on our stop in 2013 on Sea Princess sydney to Sydney Cruise.

Reg and I would love to hear how it all works out and also any other information on what to do and how the pick up etc all went. You can email me if you prefer at the link below.

many thanks

Robyn:)

I did this very thing on my trip last year. Number one is to make sure you have approval from the cruise line in writing before your board the ship!!! Things will go so smooth with the approval in hand. If possible get the local currency before you leave for your trip. I ordered mine at my local bank. I heard people say there were atm's close to where the ship docked, but we didn't need to worry about finding it since I had the money already.

When you board I would just go by the front desk and make sure they know you are doing it. Also the night before you leave tell the people at your table and waite staff that you will not be at dinner the next evening. Also tell your cabin stewards so they know you will not be there.

Be on time to meet with the officials when you dock in Papeete. That always makes things go smoothly. Let me know if you have any other questions and I will try to help.

Helen

I did this very thing on my trip last year. Number one is to make sure you have approval from the cruise line in writing before your board the ship!!! Things will go so smooth with the approval in hand. If possible get the local currency before you leave for your trip. I ordered mine at my local bank. I heard people say there were atm's close to where the ship docked, but we didn't need to worry about finding it since I had the money already.

When you board I would just go by the front desk and make sure they know you are doing it. Also the night before you leave tell the people at your table and waite staff that you will not be at dinner the next evening. Also tell your cabin stewards so they know you will not be there.

Be on time to meet with the officials when you dock in Papeete. That always makes things go smoothly. Let me know if you have any other questions and I will try to help.

Helen

Thanks very much for the information it will be a great help to us too.

• 1 month later...
We are planning on doing this on our stop in 2013 on Sea Princess sydney to Sydney Cruise.

Reg and I would love to hear how it all works out and also any other information on what to do and how the pick up etc all went. You can email me if you prefer at the link below.

many thanks

We just returned from our 30 day South Pacific cruise on the HAL Rotterdam. The cruise was wonderful, but the highlight by far was leaving the ship for one night to stay in an OWB at the Hilton in Moorea.

We followed HFLORS advice on how to work this out and everything went smoothly. We left the ship in Papeete and took the fast Aremiti V ferry(30 min) to Moorea The only hitch was that we had prearranged a taxi through the Hilton to take us from the ferry dock to the hotel. When we arrived, we looked through all the congestion to find the taxi holding our name, but could not. But no worries, there were plenty of shuttles to take us there at 700xpf each- much less than the taxi. The shuttle driver even stopped for photo ops along the gorgeous drive to the Hilton.

The Hilton was fabulous and we had a 1 pm checkout the following day. The Hilton concierge even reconfirmed that Albert's Tours would pick us up at the Hilton at 1pm and take us on a trip to the Belvedere and other stops before taking us to the tender dock on Cook's Bay in time to reboard the ship.

We did get our "deviation" letter to leave the ship and presented it to the front office upon boarding This was the first thing that they asked for and I am so glad that hflors had told us about this. Also we did not even have to personally meet with immigration in Papeete before leaving. The front desk handled it all with immigration and let us know the day before that all had been cleared and gave us back our passports to take ashore with us. Upon reboarding the ship, the front office meet us on the gangway before we were allowed back onboard to recollect our passports.

The Hilton is a wonderful facility- we snorkled right from the OWB (even saw an octopus) and enjoyed venturing out in the kayaks. Sharks circle underneath the Crepe bar in the evening. Each OWB had a light underneath to see the fishes and coral in the dark. The sky displayed the most stars I have ever seen! We enjoyed a beautiful sunset from our balcony and then got up to see a marvelous sunrise the next morning and saw our ship sailing into Cook's Bay from Papeete just about at sunrise time. Breakfast buffet was bountiful and what a view to enjoy!

We just returned from our 30 day South Pacific cruise on the HAL Rotterdam. The cruise was wonderful, but the highlight by far was leaving the ship for one night to stay in an OWB at the Hilton in Moorea.

We followed HFLORS advice on how to work this out and everything went smoothly. We left the ship in Papeete and took the fast Aremiti V ferry(30 min) to Moorea The only hitch was that we had prearranged a taxi through the Hilton to take us from the ferry dock to the hotel. When we arrived, we looked through all the congestion to find the taxi holding our name, but could not. But no worries, there were plenty of shuttles to take us there at 700xpf each- much less than the taxi. The shuttle driver even stopped for photo ops along the gorgeous drive to the Hilton.

The Hilton was fabulous and we had a 1 pm checkout the following day. The Hilton concierge even reconfirmed that Albert's Tours would pick us up at the Hilton at 1pm and take us on a trip to the Belvedere and other stops before taking us to the tender dock on Cook's Bay in time to reboard the ship.

We did get our "deviation" letter to leave the ship and presented it to the front office upon boarding This was the first thing that they asked for and I am so glad that hflors had told us about this. Also we did not even have to personally meet with immigration in Papeete before leaving. The front desk handled it all with immigration and let us know the day before that all had been cleared and gave us back our passports to take ashore with us. Upon reboarding the ship, the front office meet us on the gangway before we were allowed back onboard to recollect our passports.

The Hilton is a wonderful facility- we snorkled right from the OWB (even saw an octopus) and enjoyed venturing out in the kayaks. Sharks circle underneath the Crepe bar in the evening. Each OWB had a light underneath to see the fishes and coral in the dark. The sky displayed the most stars I have ever seen! We enjoyed a beautiful sunset from our balcony and then got up to see a marvelous sunrise the next morning and saw our ship sailing into Cook's Bay from Papeete just about at sunrise time. Breakfast buffet was bountiful and what a view to enjoy!

Thank you so much for posting this! We leave next week for our cruise and have our night booked in Moorea dor the end of April. All arrangements have been made with Princess and we'll have the letter with us and verify once onboard. We will also report back when we return.

One more question, according to the ferry's website the cost is 1500f/pp for both the ferry and the high speed boat - is that correct? Sorry, I lied, I have another...what time did you take the ferry over to Moorea? We thought we might walk around Papeete then go over at noon, but if we can possibly check in earlier it might be better to go on an earlier ferry.

thanks

One more question, according to the ferry's website the cost is 1500f/pp for both the ferry and the high speed boat - is that correct? Sorry, I lied, I have another...what time did you take the ferry over to Moorea? We thought we might walk around Papeete then go over at noon, but if we can possibly check in earlier it might be better to go on an earlier ferry.

thanks

We went on the 12:20 Friday ferry. Other days have a different schedule available online. We did get off in Papeete and walked and shopped a little at market and went to the ATM for XPF before returning to the ship to get overnight bags and an early lunch. The ferry before the 12:20 was about 9:30 which we thought was too early. However we did walk to the Aremiti dock first thing after getting off the ship and purchased tickets and also to be sure we knew where to go and how long it took to walk there. The fare one way was 900 XPF per person- we expected it to be more, but they gave us the over 60 senior rate. I think the rates are the same for the slow and fast ferry.

Oops, forgot...

Did you prebook Alberts for pickup at the Hilton? Also, how much was it? I like to have each of the cab fares put aside in envelopes before we leave- makes planning easier!

Yes, by chance we met Albert's daughter in Papeete and booked through her, but I am one to follow up on things and the Hilton concierge offered to call them to reconfirm. It was actually a 2-2 1/2 hr tour in an 8 passenger vehicle they were offering the ship passengers (Tour B) but we wanted to be picked up at the Hilton at 1pm and then returned to the ship. They were very willing to do that, so we saved a taxi fare to the Hilton. The tour was 3500XPF per person. I had heard the Belvedere was a must see and the timing worked out perfectly so we still got full time at the Hilton (even a little late checkout) and got to see the Belvedere and other sights.

Because Cruise critic has served me so well in providing helpful tips that have made my recent cruise vacations so special and enjoyable, I feel indebted to return the favor on occasion.

Here is the website for the Moorea ferry for any who would like to refer to it.

Because Cruise critic has served me so well in providing helpful tips that have made my recent cruise vacations so special and enjoyable, I feel indebted to return the favor on occasion.

Here is the website for the Moorea ferry for any who would like to refer to it.

They have definitely added more ferries to the schedule since we were there two weeks ago in March. It might be a good idea to check for updates close to a departure date in case of further changes.

Thank you everyone for all the information it is a great help. It certainly seems and easy process to organise. We will be on Sea Princess next year and will be arranging for our night on Moorea in and OWB.

Cheers

rplusr:):):)

Archived