Fao Bonnie - Taormina

English Tim

On our forthcoming cruise on Journey, we call at Taormina, Sicily.

It appears that there is no free shuttle, despite many people on CC claiming last year that there is always a free shuttle.

All I can find is a £30 $50 DIY excursion with coach travel to and from the ship.

Please confirm this for me?

The last 2 times we were there with Azamara there was no provided shuttle service. We did take the do it yourself excursion last September since we took the ship's tour of the city the previous time there. There were many taxis waiting where the tenders dropped you off. I did inquire and was told that due to a strong union shuttles were not an option. The town at the top of the hill is about a 20 minute drive, and although "touristy" there are some very nice shops and restaurants off the main street. It's compact enough to cover it in a few hours.

On our forthcoming cruise on Journey, we call at Taormina, Sicily.

It appears that there is no free shuttle, despite many people on CC claiming last year that there is always a free shuttle.

All I can find is a £30 $50 DIY excursion with coach travel to and from the ship.

Please confirm this for me?

Why are you asking this question when you already know there's no free shuttle? You were there last year and wrote a trip report about it. In case you've forgotten what you said about docking at Taormina here are your words.

"The ship docks at a small town called Naxos. It seemed to have a long esplanade, with many cafes and lodging accommodations - a typical seaside town. The ship advised everyone to take a ship shuttle to Taormina, which is a steep and long climb, but with a fare of $49pp, many chose alternatives. We were also advised that getting a taxi was difficult, but this didn’t seem to be the case. We elected to walk the 2 miles or so to the train station, all on flat ground, and then choose to either take a train along the scenic coastline, or take a bus, whichever seemed best. The trains are infrequent and we didn’t think it worth the risk of getting stranded, so we followed the locals and took a bus, which climbed the twisting roads to Taormina, fairly quickly. It cost 1 Euro each, so a considerable saving on the shuttle cost, and it was fun. Taormina was packed with tourists and so we took an alley and found some nice public gardens and other interesting sights."

Why are you asking this question when you already know there's no free shuttle? You were there last year and wrote a trip report about it. In case you've forgotten what you said about docking at Taormina here are your words.

"The ship docks at a small town called Naxos. It seemed to have a long esplanade, with many cafes and lodging accommodations - a typical seaside town. The ship advised everyone to take a ship shuttle to Taormina, which is a steep and long climb, but with a fare of $49pp, many chose alternatives. We were also advised that getting a taxi was difficult, but this didn’t seem to be the case. We elected to walk the 2 miles or so to the train station, all on flat ground, and then choose to either take a train along the scenic coastline, or take a bus, whichever seemed best. The trains are infrequent and we didn’t think it worth the risk of getting stranded, so we followed the locals and took a bus, which climbed the twisting roads to Taormina, fairly quickly. It cost 1 Euro each, so a considerable saving on the shuttle cost, and it was fun. Taormina was packed with tourists and so we took an alley and found some nice public gardens and other interesting sights."

The reason I am asking the question, is as you will discover if you read further through the quoted thread, several established Azamara CC veterans, seemed to query whether I was mistaken. Why is there a need to charge $50 for such a short ride?

Hello 'English Tim',

I'll be in the HQ next week (Tues-Thur) and will see what I can find out about a free shuttle in Taormina in May. I'll get back to you next week.

Question for you..is 'Fao' code for something? I see your subject line is 'Fao Bonnie'. Or is that your new nickname for me? :)

Hello 'English Tim',

I'll be in the HQ next week (Tues-Thur) and will see what I can find out about a free shuttle in Taormina in May. I'll get back to you next week.

Question for you..is 'Fao' code for something? I see your subject line is 'Fao Bonnie'. Or is that your new nickname for me? :)

Welcome Bonnie!

Look forward to a long and continuing "relationship" with you.

Your question re "FAO". Would assume (and I could be wrong) that English Tim is saying, "For attention of Bonnie".

Hope this helps.

Welcome Bonnie!

I do appreciate your arrival on this forum and enjoyed seeing your face on your blog - especially that lovely continuity picture with you beside dear Bill.

Bill covered this issue in detail last year, though with the search function on the boards being difficult to manage at present I suspect Tim may not be able to find it.

There are several ports around the world, quite a few in Italy, where there is a very strong taxi union and Azamaras hands are tied in this respect. It was explained to guests on board a cruise I was on where this happens that not only can Azamara not run a shuttle, they can be subject to very high charges by local bus operators where they try and run an"on your own" trip as the bus operators realise this is the ships alternative for guests who do not wish to be hostage to the local taxis. And the situation in Italy with the unions is one that will probably never change.

In the end of the day, one days shuttle cost if you choose to pay it is no big deal as you explore this wonderful world of ours and Azamara does say on its website that they can only run shuttles in ports where local regulations permit this

Welcome Bonnie!

I do appreciate your arrival on this forum and enjoyed seeing your face on your blog - especially that lovely continuity picture with you beside dear Bill.

Bill covered this issue in detail last year, though with the search function on the boards being difficult to manage at present I suspect Tim may not be able to find it.

There are several ports around the world, quite a few in Italy, where there is a very strong taxi union and Azamaras hands are tied in this respect. It was explained to guests on board a cruise I was on where this happens that not only can Azamara not run a shuttle, they can be subject to very high charges by local bus operators where they try and run an"on your own" trip as the bus operators realise this is the ships alternative for guests who do not wish to be hostage to the local taxis. And the situation in Italy with the unions is one that will probably never change.

In the end of the day, one days shuttle cost if you choose to pay it is no big deal as you explore this wonderful world of ours and Azamara does say on its website that they can only run shuttles in ports where local regulations permit this

I hope this thoughtful response settles the question English Tim poses. Azamara is clear in its statement " Shuttle service to and from ports, where available" and in this case, it clearly ain't available. At least not for free. ;) As to the question English Tim asks as to why it costs $50 r/t, well, business is all about what the market bears. You may as well ask why the apartment that rents for $900/month in downtown Indianapolis costs $2700 to rent in NYC. If people are found who are willing to pay it, then that's what the cost will be. Clearly Azamara has plenty of passengers who don't mind paying for the shuttle otherwise they'd have changed the price. One always has the choice not to pay and find other alternatives, as English Tim did with his 1 euro bus trip.

Well put Deirdre. Just as with the beverage packages - one has a choice. Stick with the basic, cheaper options or opt for the all inclusive experience.

Not sure why you need to revisit your gripes with Azamara Tim, can't be that bad if you chose to sail with them for a third time.

Edited by librarylady19

Well put Deirdre. Just as with the beverage packages - one has a choice. Stick with the basic, cheaper options or opt for the all inclusive experience.

Not sure why you need to revisit your gripes with Azamara Tim, can't be that bad if you chose to sail with them for a third time.

Not a gripe with Azamara, more so with the Azamara flag wavers who almost accused me of getting my facts wrong last time I reported this. If as some say, it's impossible to do in certain Italian ports, I can't understand how several people reported that when they were there, there was a free shuttle.

As you say, we all have a choice, to pay up or seek alternatives.

As Rosy had a nasty fall on the walk down, I wish we'd taken the bus and I'd have paid any amount to ease her suffering, so definitely no walking down, this year.

As we all know the overall product is fantastic and fortunately in this part of the world we are allowed to choose what we do and say.

I sometimes wonder if the way I write things (the English way) comes across to some as antagonistic, it's not meant to be so, but I do get a bit wound up if my integrity is questioned.

Not a gripe with Azamara, more so with the Azamara flag wavers who almost accused me of getting my facts wrong last time I reported this. If as some say, it's impossible to do in certain Italian ports, I can't understand how several people reported that when they were there, there was a free shuttle.

As you say, we all have a choice, to pay up or seek alternatives.

As Rosy had a nasty fall on the walk down, I wish we'd taken the bus and I'd have paid any amount to ease her suffering, so definitely no walking down, this year.

As we all know the overall product is fantastic and fortunately in this part of the world we are allowed to choose what we do and say.

I sometimes wonder if the way I write things (the English way) comes across to some as antagonistic, it's not meant to be so, but I do get a bit wound up if my integrity is questioned.

Going to another Azamara presentation, in London, this weekend so it will interesting to hear this years sales pitch, having discovered reality.

I think the confusion has arisen because the situation has changed. On my last visit to Taormina there was definitely a free shuttle offered by the ship and when getting off the tender, not a taxi to be seen.

Having said that, I totally accept that things are different now. IMO, Taormina is a charming spot and I would probably choose to take the ship's DIY option if it were offered next time I am in the area.

I hope that Rosy recovered ok from her fall. That is not a nice experience. This to me is a classic example of when travelling away from home it's better to be safe than sorry for the sake of a few dollars. If one is spending thousands of pounds to cruise, flying in some comfort in business class (as you posted pictures of yourself doing) and/or getting a great deal as you mentioned on the roll call it seems odd to try and do stuff on the cheap. I'm looking forward to Sicily. I'm doing a ship tour there so won't need to worry about a shuttle, but if I did you can be sure I'd be taking the easiest and most secure option!

Phil

Going to another Azamara presentation, in London, this weekend so it will interesting to hear this years sales pitch, having discovered reality.

Is that the Daily Telegraph Cruise Show at Excel? I got an invite to that, but decided not to go. I've been to them before and they are a nice jolly. I might have seen you there! If Sonia Limbrick is there and sees you she might just run for the hills considering the hard time you gave her here over the included free drinks when it was introduced. LOL Have fun.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

Is that the Daily Telegraph Cruise Show at Excel? I got an invite to that, but decided not to go. I've been to them before and they are a nice jolly. I might have seen you there! If Sonia Limbrick is there and sees you she might just run for the hills considering the hard time you gave her here over the included free drinks when it was introduced. LOL Have fun.

Phil

This one's at Olympia, as it was last year. You can be sure that if Sonia is there, I shall be taking her to task over what we were told last year. ;)

I hope that Rosy recovered ok from her fall. That is not a nice experience. This to me is a classic example of when travelling away from home it's better to be safe than sorry for the sake of a few dollars. If one is spending thousands of pounds to cruise, flying in some comfort in business class (as you posted pictures of yourself doing) and/or getting a great deal as you mentioned on the roll call it seems odd to try and do stuff on the cheap. I'm looking forward to Sicily. I'm doing a ship tour there so won't need to worry about a shuttle, but if I did you can be sure I'd be taking the easiest and most secure option!

Phil

Thanks for your good wishes. Rosy has had another operation since and fallen again in this country. It certainly makes one appreciate what fitness one has, as she used to run marathons and do all sorts of other physical stuff, which she now struggles with. However, these accidents can happen anywhere. Ship's tours certainly offer peace of mind, but we are free spirits and love to do what takes our fancy, although it's usually best to have some sort of plan. We'll probably take the local bus.

Thanks for your good wishes. Rosy has had another operation since and fallen again in this country. It certainly makes one appreciate what fitness one has, as she used to run marathons and do all sorts of other physical stuff, which she now struggles with. However, these accidents can happen anywhere. Ship's tours certainly offer peace of mind, but we are free spirits and love to do what takes our fancy, although it's usually best to have some sort of plan. We'll probably take the local bus.

I found this post on TripAdvisor months ago and it may be helpful to you in planning the best transportation options if you choose not to go the ship's do-it-yourself route. (Although if you have any OBC, this is exactly the kind of thing it's handy for. ;)). http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g194774-i1360-k5219854-Taxi_info_Giardini_Naxos_to_Taormina_Sicily-Giardini_Naxos_Province_of_Messina_Sicily.html

I found this post on TripAdvisor months ago and it may be helpful to you in planning the best transportation options if you choose not to go the ship's do-it-yourself route. (Although if you have any OBC, this is exactly the kind of thing it's handy for. ;)). http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g194774-i1360-k5219854-Taxi_info_Giardini_Naxos_to_Taormina_Sicily-Giardini_Naxos_Province_of_Messina_Sicily.html

Thanks for the link. Alas no OBC on this occasion

When doing my research for Taormina on the Azamara boards as well as on the Azamara member reviews, I noticed that for a number of years Azamara did provide a free shuttle to Taormina. But in 2013 it seemed that some sailings did have a free shuttle to Taormina and others did not.

For example, there were two Cruise Critic members that were on the Journey sailing on August 4-11, 2013. They both said they did have a free shuttle to Taormina. For your convenience I have posted the link for you to read the thread at posts #1 to #3: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1896870&highlight=taormina+shuttle

Bonnie, when you check for English Tim’s sailing in May, could you also please check for the October 2, 2014 sailing to see if there will be a free shuttle to Taormina?

Thank you so much.

At London Cruise Show, today, we were told about free shuttles from ports to town. No mention of any exclusions.

More inclusive and not 'all inclusive' was this years buzz word. ;)

Azamara has always been upfront about shuttles. This is what the website says "Shuttle service to and from port communities, where available" They can't offer something for free if it's not available, whether it's because of local regulations (as is currently the case in Taormina) or whatever.

I do wish, however, it was made clear when and where the shuttles are there for our use because it helps in planning port days. Just as a practical matter it would be nice to know ahead of time what to expect. Bonnie, if you check back in on this thread, could you check in on this for us? Much appreciated! (and of course that information might already by on the website and I just don't know where to access it ;))

Hi Tim,

Have a great cruise! We are forsaking Azamara this year in favour of the Royal Clipper. Hope your experience at the Cruise Show today was better than ours at the Excel. The Azamara sales lady was very pleasant but knew nothing about Azamara. She had never been on either ship but was very keen to get us to switch to Celebrity. Also at the time there were absolutely no deals and prices were very high. I see they are coming down now, as I have had several great email offers. Next year perhaps we will come back as I really do love Azamara.

Best wishes to Rosie.

Pam

Hi Tim,

Have a great cruise! We are forsaking Azamara this year in favour of the Royal Clipper. Hope your experience at the Cruise Show today was better than ours at the Excel. The Azamara sales lady was very pleasant but knew nothing about Azamara. She had never been on either ship but was very keen to get us to switch to Celebrity. Also at the time there were absolutely no deals and prices were very high. I see they are coming down now, as I have had several great email offers. Next year perhaps we will come back as I really do love Azamara.

Best wishes to Rosie.

Pam

Hi Pam, thanks for the good wishes. I'm sure you'll have a great time on Royal Clipper. The discounted prices at todays show were much higher than we paid, but still there were many people lining up to book with the RCI group.

Our presentation was by the UK MD and he clearly knew his product, but Rosy was far more impressed with the Seabourn presentation. I think we go to Burma, next year, with Seabourn, if we get the right price.

We will be in Giardini Naxos on 4th May, onboard Quest and looking for transport to Taormina. I suspect we will try to find others to share a taxi with.

However, DH may just boycott the taxis in protest at the restrictive practice and restraint of trade by the taxi unions!