Walking safety in Miami

mrscastle

We're cruising in and out of Fort Lauderdale, but have chosen to stay an extra night after our cruise to attend a Marlins baseball game in Miami. Then, we're going to stay the night in Miami and fly out of Miami the next morning.

Right now, I have the Springhill Suites by Marriott Miami Airport booked, but I can cancel for free. On Hotels.com, it says it's a 17-minute walk to Marlins Park. I know absolutely NOTHING about Miami and have never been there, so I just want to find out if it's safe for a 4 adults and a 3-year-old in a stroller to walk. Otherwise, I'll book a less expensive hotel closer to the airport and just Uber to and from Marlins Park.

Thanks!

I think the walk will be a little more difficult than you might think. The most direct route would include coming down NW12th Ave and that's part of the access off of the Dolphin Expressway. So really you'd probably have to walk down NW8th Avenue and cross the Miami River and then continue west along NW4th Street to the stadium. I wouldn't consider that to be prime walking area. I would do a taxi or Uber. Not sure if closer to the airport is going to be cheaper though. Maybe the La Quinta. There are several posters here who live in Miami and are more familiar with the area. Hopefully one will chime in with better information or suggestions.

Take a cab or uber. I'm sure you'll enjoy the stadium. DH is a rabid baseball fan while I am the original fair weather fan but given that the stadium has a retractable roof and air conditioning I don't have excuses when he wants to go to a game :). Also try the Cuban sandwiches - I wish all baseball stadiums offered them!

Surprised no one has suggested the City of Miami Trolley:

http://www.miamigov.com/trolley/

Stadium route is in dark blue on this map:

http://www.miamigov.com/trolley/maps/HealthDistrictandStadiumRoutes.pdf

To get the trolley to the stadium you have to walk to this stop on NW 12 Ave:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/SpringHill+Suites+by+Marriott+Miami+Airport+East%2FMedical+Center,+Northwest+10th+Avenue,+Miami,+FL/NW+12+Av@NW+14+St,+Miami,+FL+33136/@25.7872559,-80.2149014,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x88d9b6c0b9eac591:0x6b175148e853b9ed!2m2!1d-80.2103045!2d25.7867767!1m5!1m1!1s0x88d9b6c159741275:0xf056f74aed2a1e93!2m2!1d-80.215121!2d25.786897?hl=en

Returning after the game the trolley will turn east on NW 14 St from 12 Ave and let you off even closer to the hotel.

ETA: what day of the week it is has to be taken into consideration. Judging by the 4PM start time I will assume Saturday. This area is pretty deserted on the weekends, and the trolley service may not be as reliable (you have to download the city's trolley tracker app to view the specific timetable, and any route diversion which are common on the weekends). Especially with a 3 year old in tow switching to a hotel in an area with more amenities geared towards tourists still should be considered.

Edited by fishywood

As others have said .... don't walk. Another issue is the high volume of car traffic pre and post game which could complicate walking.

Um, we are talking about the Miami Marlins here, not the Yankees or Mets.

and btw don't forget that depending on the time of the year

it could be around 9746 degrees outside with 400% humidity!

I lived in Miami for 10+ years .....

a 15 minute walk can remind folks of the Bataan Death March .... if they are not from around here ....