Please be patient--An oldie trying to learn uber

packedandready

Still trying to figure out transportation. We're flying into fll the day before and cruising out of pom. First idea was getting a shuttle from fll to hotel in Miami and then a taxi to the port.

Had a uber teaching lesson with a 20 something and think we might try that. Since hotels are cheaper in fll we're thinking about staying there. We've stayed twice at Sleep Inn in Dania twice and it's good enough for the few hours we'll be there. Now the questions...

1. Is uber a good choice from ft lauderdale to pom? If I'm checking correctly is looks to be about $30 for uberx which sounds like a good price. Can't seem to see how far it is or how long it would take.

2. I'm assuming uber would be good also from pom to fll airport???

I know this is mickey mouse to most, but .....

Still trying to figure out transportation. We're flying into fll the day before and cruising out of pom. First idea was getting a shuttle from fll to hotel in Miami and then a taxi to the port.

Had a uber teaching lesson with a 20 something and think we might try that. Since hotels are cheaper in fll we're thinking about staying there. We've stayed twice at Sleep Inn in Dania twice and it's good enough for the few hours we'll be there. Now the questions...

1. Is uber a good choice from ft lauderdale to pom? If I'm checking correctly is looks to be about $30 for uberx which sounds like a good price. Can't seem to see how far it is or how long it would take.

Hi packed n ready,

If you're not entirely comfortable with ubering, you could always arrange a private car, which would cost a lot more, but at least you'd have peace of mind. We Ubered in Ft Laud last month for just little trips from hotel to las Olas, and it worked well. However, trip from las Olas to hotel didn't work so well. The driver canceled us. He called, couldn't find us and then canceled us altogether (which has been known to happen). We simply took a cab instead

What you need to keep in mind with Uber, they can change their rates throughout the day due to surge pricing, or "popular, peak" periods.

So even tough our ride was $11-$13 going, for us to return back that day was $16-21 (even though we didn't use Uber for the return and used a taxi for $12.50 plus tip)

I know of at least one shuttle company that does Hotel pickup in Fort Lauderdale to get you to port of Miami.

Why don't you check SAS shuttles, there are many others that folks mention on this board, QLS.

SAS charges $13-15 pp to get to Miami.

Some shuttle companies will pick you up just from FLL only, but if your hotel is on the list for SAS that might be the way to go

Most people have reported that Uber costs around $35-40 to get to Miami from Ft Laud.

I think it is awesome that you are willing to attempt Uber.

Lyft is another company like Uber and has a better reputation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SAS is reliable and suggested often on this board, along with QLS, Go Airport and other shared shuttles.

UberX from FLL to POM is usually quoted closer to $40 than $30, but it may be worth it for direct service instead of a shuttle making multiple pick-ups and drop offs. If there are more than 3 in your group and/or you have lots of bags you may need UberXL --- usually about double what UberX charges. :o

How long you wait for an Uber depends upon how many Uber drivers there are in your area when you request a ride.

I am an old guy, too...and uber would be my choice unless I had a large group or excessive luggage.

Our first try with uber was in Lima, Peru (and I speak limited Spanish). We used it for 3 different trips and it went very, very well.

So much so that I was compelled to tip our drivers, which is not required.

Yes Uber is a good choice anywhere in the FTL and Miami area. It should be around $30-$40. It all depends on the current pricing. It is possible that a surge is in place and it goes up a lot, but that usually only happens during big events, and busy holiday weekends and almost always in the evening and night. Depends on what time you leave and what day of the week it is for the ride time. On a weekend it would be about 45mins. Weekday cloud be closer to an 60-90mins. Yes, you can take Uber from POM to FLL. Should be around the same cost.

I used Uber in MIA to POM and was overcharged by 20 dollars (per the estimate on the app)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Care to elaborate about time of day, traffic conditions, surge pricing period, etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Tryed uber for the first time in February (its illegal here in Norway). First use was Fort lauderdale hotel to Port everglades. Dude showed up in a lexus suv(uberXL), great guy who actually had worked as a guide in Hawaii etc. We got caught in the fll marathon traffic, but price was still close to half of a yellow taxi.

Next ride was miami beach to brickell, this time it was a 10 year old Mercedes ML 500, again we got a great driver, and the price was low compared to yellow taxi.

You might wonder why we didnt use uver from port everglades to miami beach? Well , we made a rookie mistake looking at the uber app thinking there was a 45 min wait for uber. The mistake i made was that the 45 min timer showed in the app was actually arrival time in miami. Uber XL was at this time listed ay 44 dollars, while the same ride with yellow taxi was 75 dolars. (i think uberX was 33 dollars)

Uber is great but you need to be careful about the number of luggage. Most UberX could only fit 2 check-in size luggage + 2 carry-on's. So even though it could seat 4, it probably won't be able to transport 4 people with luggage to or from a cruise port! You will need to order an UberXL.

Having said that Uber/Lyft is amazing comparing to shuttle for us on the last cruise. When we left the hotel at noon, there were about 30 cruisers in the lobby with their luggage waiting for the shuttles which leave every 20 min. We just called a Lyft, got to the port probably before even the shuttles left the hotel and for about $12 total.

Uber is great but you need to be careful about the number of luggage. Most UberX could only fit 2 check-in size luggage + 2 carry-on's. So even though it could seat 4, it probably won't be able to transport 4 people with luggage to or from a cruise port! You will need to order an UberXL.

Having said that Uber/Lyft is amazing comparing to shuttle for us on the last cruise. When we left the hotel at noon, there were about 30 cruisers in the lobby with their luggage waiting for the shuttles which leave every 20 min. We just called a Lyft, got to the port probably before even the shuttles left the hotel and for about $12 total.

We will probably have a garment bag, 2 med. suitcases and 1 carry on. Think we would need an xl? thanks

We will probably have a garment bag, 2 med. suitcases and 1 carry on. Think we would need an xl? thanks

No that should be fine. UberX is pretty much any 4 doors sedan type car. We haven't had any problem fitting two 29" tall hard suitcase, two 22" tall hard carry-on to any sedan's truck yet. And if you only have 2 passengers, you could put luggage on the passenger seat too if the driver is okay with that. Oh the other thing is that UberX driver may or may not help you with the luggage. I don't think they are require to, but so far only 1 driver just sit in the driver seat and didn't come out to help. Because the fare is so low, I usually tip them nicely.

UberXL is minivan or 7 passenger SUV.

No that should be fine. UberX is pretty much any 4 doors sedan type car. We haven't had any problem fitting two 29" tall hard suitcase, two 22" tall hard carry-on to any sedan's truck yet. And if you only have 2 passengers, you could put luggage on the passenger seat too if the driver is okay with that. Oh the other thing is that UberX driver may or may not help you with the luggage. I don't think they are require to, but so far only 1 driver just sit in the driver seat and didn't come out to help. Because the fare is so low, I usually tip them nicely.

UberXL is minivan or 7 passenger SUV.

Thank you. Another question..sorry...Can uber be scheduled in advance, say, the day before? Being a cruise day they will probably be busy and it would be nice to know I'm set. Now looking at spending the night in Fort Lauderdale. How far to POM? We like to get to the port early.

Thank you. Another question..sorry...Can uber be scheduled in advance, say, the day before? Being a cruise day they will probably be busy and it would be nice to know I'm set. Now looking at spending the night in Fort Lauderdale. How far to POM? We like to get to the port early.

You can but I really really don't think it would be busy. I think our last one was 2 min away from the hotel at around noon which is checkout time and everyone heading to the port. Not that many takes Uber. Everyone takes shuttles or taxi. You can look up the map distance from you hotel to POM. You can even go to Uber or Lyft site to estimate your fare. Usually it ends up around $1 per mile.