QM2 - VERY unimpressed

chrisandlynne

We've just returned from the QM2 (12 April to 16 April) and have to say it was not a good experience. Firstly, it took 6 hours to embark with Cunard offering no information or updates as to the reason for the delay at all (we eventually found out it was a technical fault). After queuing outside for the first of many times, we were herded onto coaches with the promise of a "complimentary" lunch - which turned out to be a bar of Kit-Kat. We eventually boarded at 20.15hrs for a hurried muster station drill and then dinner. Imagine our dismay when we found Cunard had billed us $22 gratuity for that service! Then there were queues for breakfast, queues for dinner and more queues to complain. We Brits are used to queuing but this was just too much too often. There's more (much more) but now's not the time or forum. To finish on a positive note, the ship is large and mostly very impressive. But, don't expect a smooth operation or 5 star service - regretfully, Cunard fall way short of the mark. We will try and elaborate the many shortcomings in a future review but for now, was it us or does anybody else feel it was so very poor?

No not you,

Exactly as we experienced on the Maiden Voyage. Have sailed all 4 Queens and am/was very loyal to Cunard. This experience is only Cunard to those who do not know. Look forward to your full review.

Jim.

Kinda funny, Jim, how you hardly ever ring in except to say something negative about QM2. It's common news that the ship experienced mechanical problems with a bow thruster door....

Oh and yes, we all know you've been on "all 4 Queens"....you never fail to mention it. And since you seem to know so much about the way Cunard "use" to be, then you're well aware that the careers of the other three Queens are not spotless. But, for some reason, you're forgiving in that regard...too bad you can't afford the same consideration for QM2.

Hi Linerguy:

Why do you and others take it so personally when someone says QM2 is not as advertised? It is not 5 star service. You do wait in lines, etc. Some passengers feel that, for the money, it is somewhat of a ripoff. It is certainly not the Cunard experience I have enjoyed in the past but they continue to tie in marketing with "days gone by" including the silly tie in with Titanic. For many years, the Cunard transatlantic crossing was the high point of my year. I dont mind that they are different now, just that they continue to try to make people believe it is worth Cunard prices to stand in buffet lines and be around some faux liner interior details. Mechanically the ship is a marvel. The problem is totally ingrained in the business model of Cunard/Carnival. Dont know how to fix it or if they even want to. There are many more inexperienced potential passengers out there than us demanding old farts that expect to get what we pay for. (I'm 55 by the way). They probably dont care if we never come back. Thats ok, Im getting out of the way of the mob and will sail on smaller, more quality ships in the future. I will miss the thrill of being on a fast ship, in a seaway in mid Atlantic. Nothing else remotely like it. All the best to you.

Jim.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Why do you and others take it so personally when someone says QM2 is not as advertised? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It could be because we love her and can't stand to hear others run her down. She's a great, beautiful lady.

But then, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day at work

26 cruises since 1964 -Proud member of O.A.T.C.

Queen Mary 2 Maiden Caribbean Voyage 1/31/2004

HAL Zuiderdam 3/27/2004

Carnival Miracle from Tampa 11/7/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;11;07;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

It's interesting to read the contributions so far. Please believe us that we were so much looking forward to the trip and went with totally open minds. Yes, the ship is a marvel but the running of it was very poor. We can only compare it to the Celebrity cruises we have been on and Celebrity win by a mile. We got a very good price on our booking so value for money played no part in our thoughts. We're sorry to say it simply was a badly run ship from both organisation and logistical viewpoints. As one passenger remarked to a supervisor in one of many heated discussions during the 4 days - "You should get your senior management to take a trip on a Celebrity cruise to find out how to run a ship because this is obviously beyond you". That's not us speaking but we agree entirely. In the Kings Court buffet area, simple things like cleaning spilt food on the serving surfaces went completely unattended. There were layers of dust over the perspex covers and items of food repeatedly ran out thereby making the queuing longer. That's nothing to do with the bygone age - it's basic catering management. And the explanation as to why this was happening? "We have a lot of passengers on board." Believe me, we've only scratched the surface and the telling point is nobody we spoke to said they would ever cruise Cunard again (we were offered 25% refund off another Cunard cruise for the foul up on embarkation). Please ask any questions if you wish and we will give our sincerely held thoughts on the experience.

icon_frown.gifSorry to hear that.

In all due respect, apart from the embarkation

issue, you seem to have concentrated your

concern and disappointment almost entirely

on the 'buffet' fiasco.

I take it, based on an assumption only,

that your accommodations were in Britannia? icon_confused.gif

c&l,

I have no doubt that your comments are accurate and sincere. I will probably notice/experience them on my trip too -- and perhaps be disappointed or even annoyed at times.

But I don't understand why you would have signed up for a "maiden" voyage (at any price) if you were going to allow such blemishes to color your entire experience. Whether or not it "should" be a "shakedown" cruise -- it was inevitably going to be a shakedown cruise -- and probably will be for some time.

As someone who is also signed up for a "maiden crossing" (Transatlantic eastbound, 4/25) -- I have always felt that my privilege of still smelling the new carpets and paint will be offset by innumerable bloopers.

Somehow, you boarded with unrealistic expectations IMHO. And if you didn't have any prior love or appreciation of Cunard, well, then you're not apt to be as forgiving of the abundant imperfections that can be found in even the greatest of enterprises.

You would have been much happier if you had waited a good year (or for consistent, positive reviews) before boarding.

I get the feeling that you think you're somehow "pulling punches" and not telling us all the "really horrible," nightmarish, inconsionable, dark, and evil things that happened on your cruise.

I encourage you to share everthing: it will help both you and us. Your notion that you are "protecting" us/you somehow is from things we/you won't survive hearing (if that's what it is) is from another time and place.

(But others will of course have their feelings too.)

Kind regards,

Crouton

[This message was edited by Crouton on 04-17-04 at 12:41 AM.]

OK, we'll draw the debate to a close but to answer the questions so far - the Britannia Restaurant was very good. Excellent food with impressive and polite service from our waiters. In fact we'd read that some people had found it disappointing but we enjoyed our dining in this restaurant. Yes, our comments posted have concentrated on the buffet area and embarkation problems but these were only used as an illustration of Cunard's shortcomings to try and give an overall picture rather than a complaints catalogue. I'm not sure we did go with unrealistic expactations, we were just looking forward to it and we English are known to be a pretty patient and tolerant lot but there were a great many unhappy cruisers on board. Were we taken in by the hype? Again, no I don't think so. I get your point, Crouton, about it being a "shakedown cruise". But, QM2 has been operating since 12 January 04 and Cunard for decades, so why the basic problems of communication and cleanliness? And, any dark evil satanic happenings? Well, thinking on it -our dressing gowns did disappear from the cabin on the final night. The reason from Cunard? "In case you pinch them". We will try and post a full review which we hope will be reflective and objective. And, we hope maybe somebody else who was on this cruise (or others past or future) will let us have their thoughts. Let me reiterate - we are glad we experienced the QM2 and she is a wonder. No doubt about that. Yes, there are perhaps some design glitches and we can all think of areas where we could suggest improvement but overall she's majestic. She's just terribly let down by the company running her. As a footnote, this is a great site and it's good to talk to you all.

chrisandlynne, I am so sorry that your cruise was disappointing. You asked if there were others who had been on the same cruise. There was a posting in the "Cunard" area a few days ago with the title, "A positive short review on the QM2". (If I were more computer literate, I would put in the link. Perhaps someone else will." I believe this report was from the same cruise you were on. They do mention the problems with embarkation and queing but seem to have had a very good cruise.

Just a couple of questions:

1. How many passengers were on this cruise?

2. Were all four areas in the Kings Court open for breakfast and lunch?

Glad that you enjoyed your meals in the Britannia. It seems that they are getting all the kinks in the dining room from the early cruises worked out.

Our experience in March was very different from yours. There were a few lines, but I did not think any were excessive -- especially considering the number of people aboard the ship. It is definitely not a ship for everyone. However, we had a wonderful cruise and can't wait to go again.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Let me reiterate - we are glad we experienced the QM2 and she is a wonder. No doubt about that. Yes, there are perhaps some design glitches and we can all think of areas where we could suggest improvement but overall she's majestic. She's just terribly let down by the company running her. As a footnote, this is a great site and it's good to talk to you all.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm happy to hear all of this and get a better understanding of your balanced and thoughtful perspective.

Really.icon_smile.gif It has the ring of truth to it.

Crouton

very interesting reading. i met chris and lynne finally on the last day. i too was not inmpressed. i have done cunard only on coronia and loved her. i boarded the coach outside the rly stn to the DE VERE HOTEL and had a lovely buffet lunch aand was given drinks, donuts etc. then we just sat around. 1st 2.30. 4pm them 5pm i decided to gopm outaside as it did'nt l;ook like they would announce the colours. i was one of the 1st to board the coach which was good. tjhen and hour in check in which was very tiring, the computers failed again. just like n dawn 2years ago. i finally got on board at 6.30pm. i had to find my own cabin,not even any help here. my luggage arrived when i got there and stewardess welcolmed me, which was nioce. as i was sharing with a friend i noticed the bed was made as a double but they chaged it wjhen i returned. they announced 1st sitting and i made my way to the brittania rest as mostb of the passengers wetre not on board yet it was very quiet, only another couple on my table. the service was good as there were not many there i guess. wento the show with very few people. breakfast next morning in the brittania was very slow 90mins. it got better later on. the food was ok, but nothing spl. baked alaska was not paraded round as was on the coronioa last dec. few birthdays on board we were told they could'nt sing anymore. a lot of other were treated worse than me,so i gueesxi was lucky. the kings court was ok, nobody top take my plate and find me a seat. it got vetry crowded and not many seats there fopr all the people on board. they charged my friend who had a credit card for my bill. and his credit card compasny said they refused him as he was over drawn. he was not happy at this. on the final day they put 2 of his on my bill. they altered it. but i owed them 5$ as i had used the t/cheques. so i had to wait in linre to change 5pounds into $ as they wuld'nt take it to oay the bill, rejoin the queue then the lady that served me had gone. it took ages to sort it out. ib did not enjoy the serrvice. externally she is beautuiful at cherbourg there waas thousands there to see the sjhip and see us of (THEY HAD THE DAY OFF!) its a shame. i shall try another line next time.

Interesting that your only other cruise experience was on the Caronia. We were on the Maiden Voyage, and though we experienced all the glitches, problems, etc., basically loved our cruise because of the excitement of the maiden voyage aspect. However, I do remember ordering appetizers and caviar for our suite one night (we were in QG) when guests were coming over. Our butler (who had worked for many years on the Caronia before switching to the QM2) brought the appetizers, but said, "I'm so sorry. These would NEVER have been served on the Caronia. I apologize but that's all they will give me." They in fact were disappointing. We were told the standard on the Caronia was far higher. For what its worth.

Hello Imacruiser. To answer your questions - yes, the "positive short review on the QM2" is the same trip we were on and it's interesting reading from another perspective. And, we agree with many of the sentiments and experiences expressed. The ship was full (or virtually full). Yes, all four areas in the Kings Court buffet were open for both breakfast and lunch although they appeared to start clearing away certain stations 15 - 20 minutes before the published closing times. Hello, Dave - it was good meeting with you on board and sorry to hear about your adventures with the money. After we left you to go to our late sitting, we returned to the cabin only for the card entry system to fail on the door. I queued for 40 minutes at reception and left Lynne standing outside in the corridoor because of the long treck from cabin to lobby. 2 chaps were having heated discussions about being overcharged on their bill and another couple had a similar problem to ours. Eventually, my card was "re-magnetised"(??) but after the walk back it still didn't work. So, back to reception, another go and still failure. To cut a long story short, it took us a total of 4 trips and 90 minutes to gain entry from a security officer who was called for us by one of the baggage handlers collecting the suitcases. Reception were no help whatsoever (whoops, here we go again!).

For the price of the QM2 you need to try a true first class operation. Crystal,Silversea and Seabourne are at the top. On Crystal the service and small details are what earn them six star awards.

my you did have oproblems with your key card, that is not on at all. its a shame, seems people on the maiden there were less queues etc.its bad enough queueing once for your bilol why she could'nt take my 5pounds i don't know. as the foreign currency was unattended, had top queue for another receptionist and got my change in $ which i don't need. glad fred olsopn use sterling on board. the choice in the shops wrere very good much better than coronia i have to say.all the best

We are scheduled to take the QM2 on Dec. 6. I hope the problems are worked out. Is there an ATM on board? How was the library? Did anyone have trouble getting reservations at the alternate restaurants? Any tips. I have been on several of the Cunard ships, while they wee still owned by Cunard. The food was acceptable, no more, even in the Caronia Restaurant on the QE2. What I did find was the British Deck Officers to be outstanding. Very interested in the ships and the sea and always willing to have a conversation. Any tips you can offer wil be appreciated. Sorry for your bad experiences. I just want to hear the original Aqueen Mary's Horn in New York City!

Bugeye

In the NY post the past couple days Cindy Adams has been giving an account on the current transatlantic crossing. She has not said one word about bad this or bad that. Just that she's freaking out during the storm. I guess if you've never been at sea before, a storm is going to freak anyone out. Except me icon_eek.gif I hope I get to experience a "little" rough weather next week on the Tandem crossing icon_biggrin.gif but my luck the Atlantic will be a "mill pond"

J.P.

Wow, sounds like some serious weather. I wonder what the comparison is with the weather on the maiden voyage. icon_eek.gif

A bad day at sea is better than a good day at work

26 cruises since 1964 -Proud member of O.A.T.C.

Queen Mary 2 Maiden Caribbean Voyage 1/31/2004

HAL Zuiderdam 3/27/2004

Carnival Miracle from Tampa 11/7/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;11;07;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

Bugeye, to respond to your questions:

1. The library is amazing. The room is beautiful and all the books are stored in cabinets with glass doors. The librarians seemed quite helpful. There seemed to be a wide variety of books. There should be something to appeal to everyone. The hours are posted in the Daily Programme each days. Some days it is open from 9 AM to 6:30 PM. Other days the library closes for a couple of hours during the day and then reopens. There are comfy spots to sit and read. There are some windows with nice views of the sea. The library is connected to a small bookstore. If Cusyl were posting this, she would remind you to sign the Cruise Critic log while visiting the library!!!

2. There is no ATM on the QM2.

3. I do not think reservations are difficult to get for the alternate restaurants. Now that there is a charge in Todd English, it is easier to book. The Lotus seemed to be the favorite (other than the Todd English) on our cruise. No one reported difficulty in getting a reservation there.

4. Other suggestions: We really enjoyed visiting the Bridge. There is information in the Daily Programme telling where it is located and how to know if visitation is allowed when you visit. It is on Deck 12 via the A stairwell. The RADA (Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts) Group gave two outstanding performances on our cruise. They also did drama workshops which I heard were very good if you are interested in drama. Don't miss the planetarium films. We enjoyed tea in both the Winter Garden and the Queens Room. Each is slightly different and it is fun to try each one. The spa is beautiful. They offer a free tour the day that you board the ship. You can register for free treatments. There are so many interesting things to do each day. Take a highlighter type pen and mark all the things that interest you each day as you read the Daily Programme. That helps plan your day. Read all the Cruise Critic posts and use them as a guide to learn more about the ship. Go with a positive attitude and I'm sure you will have a great cruise.

Archived