Cruising with a toddler

Munaelisa

Hi cruisers,

I want to ask parents this question and I don't know if I can get answers from you. We are planning to take the meraviligia cruise next September with our toddler 22 months. And she is showing all the signs to be potty trained, she really wants to, but I am afraid that it would be easier for us while traveling to keep her in diapers and postpone the potty training after our vacation. What do you think parents?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

MSC has programs for those under age 3, but you must remain with the child, and it's only for a couple of hours a day. A non trained child cannot go into any pool or hot tub----not even using swim diapers.

This is JMO, but if she is showing signs of wanting to be potty trained, do it NOW! Otherwise you may miss your opportunity and then who knows how long it will be until she is ready. I had a friend who waited and her 4 year old was still not potty trained which was a big problem for kindergarten only 3 months off.

Next September? 14 months from now? The child will be 3 years old. Train away! The money you save from not buying diapers will afford you a very nice excursion.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My children had great success with all adults involved learning the 'potty dance' so that the child was rewarded with dancing adults, including me, the dancing Granny, after each successful attempt. Two year olds love it as they are a little young for stickers or candy as a reward.

If she's ready, she's ready...let her determine her schedule! Diapers are NOT easier on a cruise or anytime! Trust me! Get her going on the potty...girls seem to get used to it much better than boys...at least, that's been my experience!

Next September? 14 months from now? The child will be 3 years old. Train away! The money you save from not buying diapers will afford you a very nice excursion.

@cbelc I meant September of 2017, and she will be 22 months old.

Thank you all you encouraged me to do this step now as we still have 2 months before traveling :)

• 4 weeks later...

Ooh- 22 months..... bring diapers and pull-ups. Don't stress yourself or that child over training at 22 months. At that age, when they need to go, they need to go now. There are bathroom lines and also nasty bathrooms. Wait till you get home.

Train her if she wants. We just brought the potty along with us. No matter where we were if she wanted a potty we put her on it. Even on the street. That way she didn't have any accidents. She still wore pull ups at night for a while, but it didn't take long.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Train her if she wants. We just brought the potty along with us. No matter where we were if she wanted a potty we put her on it. Even on the street. That way she didn't have any accidents. She still wore pull ups at night for a while, but it didn't take long.

Are you seriously stating that it is perfectly fine for parents to lug a potty around the ship and when the toddler says she needs to go just yank her bottoms down and seat her on it--even in a dining area, or in the middle of any ongoing entertainment or activity?

Are you seriously stating that it is perfectly fine for parents to lug a potty around the ship and when the toddler says she needs to go just yank her bottoms down and seat her on it--even in a dining area, or in the middle of any ongoing entertainment or activity?

I didn't mean on the ship, I was explaining what we did to help our toddler to potty train it was great if we weren't near a toilet. It was better than letting her wet her pants.

Of course she wasn't using a potty in restaurants or cafes. It was pretty easy to carry a potty around, it fitted under the stroller no problem. You just emptied it down the nearest toilet or a street drain.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
Hi cruisers,

I want to ask parents this question and I don't know if I can get answers from you. We are planning to take the meraviligia cruise next September with our toddler 22 months. And she is showing all the signs to be potty trained, she really wants to, but I am afraid that it would be easier for us while traveling to keep her in diapers and postpone the potty training after our vacation. What do you think parents?

We were in a similar situation to you. Our daughter turned 2 in early August a couple of years ago and we booked a cruise for early that November.

She was showing signs of maybe being potty trained in September so we tried to get her there so she could use the pool. It didn't happen and we were fine with it but it would certainly have been easier if it had happened (both for pool and for practical reasons).

Even if you daughter is potty trained, I would recommend having some diapers and/or pull-ups available as some regression can occur at first.

If there's one thing a child controls it's when he or she is going to be potty trained. If she's showing signs she's showing signs she's ready then start the training! My daughter was 21 months on our first cruise and trust me diapers weren't easy on a cruise ship! We started potty training when we got home and she was "showing signs" that she was ready. :D Every kids is different. You never know--she may be fully trained by the time you go on vacation. But, be aware that changes can cause regression in some kids so as others have said, be prepared. Good luck!!