Woman Attacked/Raped On Nieuw Amsterdam

ScriptOhio

It's very unfortunate that this crew member did not realize that saying "son of a " doesn't mean that she was demeaning him or his family. She couldn't possibly have known who was outside of her door. What if she had said the "f" word instead, would he have thought he was being invited in for something?

Language and slang are hard to learn and understand. How many other countries has anyone here traveled to where there may have been a notice in the daily Explorer stating that we should be careful about something.

It's very unfortunate that this crew member did not realize that saying "son of a " doesn't mean that she was demeaning him or his family. She couldn't possibly have known who was outside of her door. What if she had said the "f" word instead, would he have thought he was being invited in for something?

Language and slang are hard to learn and understand. How many other countries has anyone here traveled to where there may have been a notice in the daily Explorer stating that we should be careful about something.

No, it is unfortunate this mad man would kill for ANY reason!

Edited by Kosi

"Instead, he returned to the woman's stateroom and used his company-issued master key to get into the woman's room though he was off duty and was not authorized to enter any stateroom, authorities said."

Was he a room steward .. one that cleans the room.. or was he a room service guy? Why would a room service guy ..food.. have a master key?? I actually didn't think even a room steward had a master key.. I thought only a higher up would? This is veryyy scary.

Surely you are not proposing that this vicious and violent attack happened because of a misunderstanding? This incident has reinforced for me my continued need to be vigilant and aware of my surroundings. On another thread, I was criticized and condemned for watching other cruisers and being aware of what was going on around me. I will be taking even more precautions now. One of which is making sure that the balcony lights are on and that all areas of the cabin are clearly visible when we return to it. I will never again enter a darken cabin on a cruise ship.

Edited by cbr663

"Instead, he returned to the woman's stateroom and used his company-issued master key to get into the woman's room though he was off duty and was not authorized to enter any stateroom, authorities said."

Was he a room steward .. one that cleans the room.. or was he a room service guy? Why would a room service guy ..food.. have a master key?? I actually didn't think even a room steward had a master key.. I thought only a higher up would? This is veryyy scary.

I believe I read that he was a room service employee. I was on the Noordam a few weeks ago, ordered lunch and went out to our balcony for just a few minutes. About five minutes after I ordered the food, my balcony door opened and the room service guy had the tray with my lunch.

Yes, they must have keycards, as my wife and granddaughter were somewhere else on the ship.

Wow! Read the article. It said that he was mad all day because she had called him a "son of a ...".

The victim could not have possibly known who was knocking.

How often do you swear or cuss or curse in what you think is the privacy of your own cabin?

I'm out of this thread.

I believe I read that he was a room service employee. I was on the Noordam a few weeks ago, ordered lunch and went out to our balcony for just a few minutes. About five minutes after I ordered the food, my balcony door opened and the room service guy had the tray with my lunch.

Yes, they must have keycards, as my wife and granddaughter were somewhere else on the ship.

are master keys and key cards the same thing though?? I thought master keys allowed someone to gain access even when you use that deadbolt type of lock. .but only real higher ups would that.. I thought key cards were only be able to be used if you were not using that lock, and that is what stewards would have???I may have this all wrong!

Edited by Kosi

We don't even know the full context of the "Son of a bitch" comment. Maybe she was looking for pants or a shirt or something to cover up with and couldn't find it and muttered to herself - as we all do - in frustration. It might not have even been directed at him at all.

I'm very glad to hear that she fought him every inch of the way. No giving in at all. He got more than he bargained for, that's for sure.

I don't know what the law is like at sea. Under what country's jurisdiction did they fall under at the time of the attack? Is it the country of registration (Netherlands), country of origin (US), nearest country to where the attack happened (Honduras, it sounds like)? I honestly don't know and would like to.

are master keys and key cards the same thing though?? I thought master keys allowed someone to gain access even when you use that deadbolt type of lock. .but only real higher ups would that.. I thought key cards were only be able to be used if you were not using that lock, and that is what stewards would have???I may have this all wrong!

Not a clue. Our deadbolt was not on. However, I have seen room service guys and laundry guys use a keycard to enter a cabin many times, including ours. It must be a master keycard to get into the cabins.

If the culprit entered her room when she wasn't in her cabin, the deadbolt couldn't be on. The keycard is the word I've heard used many times by our concierges. The term is also used by hotels.

Not a clue. Our deadbolt was not on. However, I have seen room service guys and laundry guys use a keycard to enter a cabin many times, including ours. It must be a master keycard to get into the cabins.

If the culprit entered her room when she wasn't in her cabin, the deadbolt couldn't be on. The keycard is the word I've heard used many times by our concierges. The term is also used by hotels.

Oh right! ... she couldn't have her deadbolt on.. so there is hope that the deadbolt would keep everyone from your room.. except for the higher ups.. That is what I was always lead to believe.. I know a key card.. can get anyone in .. room service, room steward.. etc.

That's just horrible! And speaking as a woman who sails solo -- VERY scary!

He did confess to violent felony crimes, so hopefully he'll be spending a very long time in prison.

Room service attendants would have to have master key cards. How else would they be able to pick up your tray after you were done eating and out of your cabin?

I really, really hope that the deadbolt offers secure protection against anyone -- Even with the master key.

I would hope though, that if the deadbolt WERE engaged and if ship personnel had to gain entrance to the cabin in the event of an emergency where the passenger couldn't let them in, that they would be able to override the deadbolt somehow.

496 and 706 are you really blaming this vicious attack on a language misunderstanding?

Not trying to put words in 496/706 mouth, but I suspect the intent was not to blame this on a language misunderstanding. I got the impression that the blame was squarely put on the perp, with the additional proviso that he is a complete moron in addition to being a viscious criminal.

496 and 706 are you really blaming this vicious attack on a language misunderstanding?

Based solely on what I'm reading in the newspaper story (notorious for not getting it all, all right) it sounds like the trigger that set an otherwise unstable person off.

The woman may very well been cursing for something as simple as not being able to find her robe, but he wouldn't have known that. Or, he may have "heard" something that was never said at all! We all know it's not easy to hear normal volume from the other side of a closed door.

Not an excuse, candbgirl; just an explanation.

I think... there are two seperate things.. a master key card..room service, room stewards.. that can only work without a deadbold being on. Then there is a master key let's call it.. that works with a deadbold being on.. and only certain people have that..(hotel manager --or what ever he is called on the ship!), but certainly not the service people.. that is what I have always heard..anyway!

Edited by Kosi