Birth Certificates/married name/maiden name

jennymcc

My mother and sister are first time cruisers and don't have a passport. They are boarding with their birth cert and photo ID (DL). Both have different married names now.

TA and a RCI rep told us that it is no problem, that port security understands that women get married and have different names from birth certificate.

Then tonight, I just read this on the FAQs

If you are a woman using your married name, sometimes they ask for your marriage certificate with your birth certificate, sometimes they don't. No one knows why. See above.

and now I'm freaking!

What's the deal with this?!

If they don't have passports I would strongly suggest they take along proof of the name change (i.e. the marriage certificate).

I find that all types of security tend to have times when they weaken the rules and other times where they are extra cautious. It's best for people to prepare for the times when they are extra cautious to avoid any problems.

It's called a bridge document in that it forms a bridge between your proof of citizenship (bc) and your proof of identity (dl). Technically you need to bring it. Will you most likely be in the 99% of women who are never asked to show it? Most likely; however, don't take the chance.

Every time this subject comes up on the boards, people respond that you don't need it because they personally weren't asked for it. They'll insist that it's not necessary. All I can tell you is that each year, I have a handful of clients who are asked to produce the bridge document at the pier in order to board the ship. So far, all of my clients that have been asked to produce the documentation have it as I really stress it. I go so far as to tell clients that all their friends/family/online buddies will probably tell them that I'm crazy and don't know what I'm talking about because they don't need it, but they do.

Sorry, I don't think this is the answer you want to hear. Unfortunately, you do need the bridge document just in case. The other option is to play the odds--I strongly recommend not going that route if at all possible.

I was asked for a bridge document once, at the Port of New York, by immigration/customs agent upon returning from a cruise (not RCI upon boarding). I was happy that I had my marriage licence with me.

If you are traveling with children, your maiden name is on their birth certificate, along with your husband's name. Sometimes agents compare this to your birth certificate, and the children's BC serves as the bridge document. This may be why many people aren't asked for a marriage licence.

I usually go out of Port Canaveral and have never been asked for my marriage license but now it makes me wonder after reading this post. I guess I need to look for my marriage license and take it along just in case.:)

We sail on Sunday! :eek: I will tell them to bring their marriage licenses if they can.

What if they can't find the certificates? Will they be refused passage? We are sailing from Baltimore to Bermuda and back. They have all kinds of ID in addition to BC and DL? :confused:

When we made the reservations months ago, I called RCI and asked them about this, and they said "no problem" They shouldn't have said that!

Before we got our passports we sailed solely with BC and DL, I always brought my marriage license but was never once asked for it. So it is not a given that they will. A couple of times was after 9/11 when the security was tightened. They look at the birthdate on your license, the first and middle name etc. I doubt they will have a problem.

We sail on Sunday! :eek: I will tell them to bring their marriage licenses if they can.

What if they can't find the certificates? Will they be refused passage? We are sailing from Baltimore to Bermuda and back. They have all kinds of ID in addition to BC and DL? :confused:

When we made the reservations months ago, I called RCI and asked them about this, and they said "no problem" They shouldn't have said that!

I have a more complicated situation . I've been divorced and remarried. So on every cruise I bring both marriage certificates plus my divorce decree. They have never been asked for these documents. I just give them my BC and drivers license. Never a question. So i wouldn't worry too much. If you look on the RCCL web site they do not state you must bring your marriage certificate. Just your bc and license. so don't worry.

My mother and sister are first time cruisers and don't have a passport. They are boarding with their birth cert and photo ID (DL). Both have different married names now.

TA and a RCI rep told us that it is no problem, that port security understands that women get married and have different names from birth certificate.

Then tonight, I just read this on the FAQs

If you are a woman using your married name, sometimes they ask for your marriage certificate with your birth certificate, sometimes they don't. No one knows why. See above.

and now I'm freaking!

What's the deal with this?!

It's not a cruise line requirement, it's customs and immigration upon return. So, RCI may say don't worry about it, and they may check you in without a problem. But when the cruise is over, you'll be dealing with the US government, who might require more than RCI did.

Still, I wouldn't panic if they don't have it. It's improbable that they will be asked. (I have my original SS card, which is issued in my maiden name, as well as the new card that has my married name - the SS number is the same. Myabe they have something similar that can be compared to the photo ID and the BC to link the names.

I got married almost a year ago, and with all the scare going on this past summer about passports not being delivered in time, I opted to wait and change my name on the passport until after I got back from our planned cruise. I didn't want to risk sending in my original forms and not have anything back the day of our cruise since some people had been waiting for 3-4 months.

I called RC and our TA and asked their opinion and both suggested to change the name on the reservation to my maiden name (matces my passport) for travel to eliminate any problems such as forgetting the marriage certificate and original birth certificate.

You could do that unless the tickets have already been printed and sent, otherwise FOR SURE take your marriage certificate, BC, anything you can think of! I needed every form you could think of on my last Princess cruise.

Happy Cruising!!!!

In 7 cruises I have never been asked. I stopped carrying my marriage license about 2 cruises ago.

There was just a lengthy discussion on the Carnival board about this and it seems like it is a request from some overzealous custom workers saying it's an issue of homeland security.

If you can find it, take it if you are worried about it.

Why take a chance? 500 people may post here that they have never been asked for it, but what if you are that 1 unlucky person? Are you going to put your cruise in the hands of some customs or immigration official???? I know I wouldn't. I would take all the documents I could, or either get my passport in my current name. The price of a new passport is miniscule compared to being turned away at the port- which is not covered by travel insurance. There are too many reports of overzealous (or hardheaded) officials out there for me to take a chance.

Why take a chance? 500 people may post here that they have never been asked for it, but what if you are that 1 unlucky person? Are you going to put your cruise in the hands of some customs or immigration official???? I know I wouldn't. I would take all the documents I could, or either get my passport in my current name. The price of a new passport is miniscule compared to being turned away at the port- which is not covered by travel insurance. There are too many reports of overzealous (or hardheaded) officials out there for me to take a chance.

Yeah but you are getting 2 things a little confused....RCCL does not require anything but bc and a photo ID. And it is RCCL that checks you onto the ship, so they can't be denied boarding. No married woman's DL name matches their BC.

Now on the way back INTO the country, that is where people say they have been asked, by customs. So it's after the cruise is over. :D

But I agree, if they are truly worried, they should take it. I have a passport now so I really don't need the marriage license.

Thanks for all the wonderful info and advice. This is "bestest" board EVER!

I told both of them to bring whatever proof they can, just in case. So I'm sure we'll be fine!

As long as we can get ON the ship, that's all I'm worried about right now. Then after I get my first drink of the day nothing else will matter.:D

We can worry about getting home later. Maybe it's a good excuse NOT to go home (tee hee) ;)

Jenny

Yeah but you are getting 2 things a little confused....RCCL does not require anything but bc and a photo ID. And it is RCCL that checks you onto the ship, so they can't be denied boarding. No married woman's DL name matches their BC.

Now on the way back INTO the country, that is where people say they have been asked, by customs. So it's after the cruise is over. :D

But I agree, if they are truly worried, they should take it. I have a passport now so I really don't need the marriage license.

Sorry, Michelle, you are right. But I seem to remember having to show my papers during the cruise? Maybe before being allowed off the ship as one of the ports? I also remember that one trip one of the custom agents, or whoever she was, actually asked one of my children if I were really her mother!! I guess she was just checking, but I have never had that happen but once.

All this would be easier to take if I really felt that we were any safer now than we were before 9/11. I don't think so.

Sorry, Michelle, you are right. But I seem to remember having to show my papers during the cruise? Maybe before being allowed off the ship as one of the ports? I also remember that one trip one of the custom agents, or whoever she was, actually asked one of my children if I were really her mother!! I guess she was just checking, but I have never had that happen but once.

All this would be easier to take if I really felt that we were any safer now than we were before 9/11. I don't think so.

That sounds like when the agents board the ship in one of the countries to "clear the ship"...is that in St.Martin? Or St.Thomas? I remember getting up really early and standing in line to talk with custom officials and the kids were wearing their PJ's...lol. Yeah I agree, those officials were a little strict. ;)

Archived