Mariner Status on Holland America

lcimba

Cruisers on HAL should be aware of HAL’s callous attitude towards guests who reach the next highest Mariner star level while on a cruise. They will not be able to enjoy the higher level Mariner status until sailing on the next cruise. For example, if a guest is a 2 star Mariner on a 20 day cruise and reaches 3 star level 4 days into the cruise, that guest will not be allowed to enjoy the higher level perks for the remaining 16 days of the cruise and must wait until sailing on another cruise after the current one to enjoy the higher Mariner star level.

I was very interested in booking HAL’s 89 day cruise on the Rotterdam to the Far East starting on Jan 8, 2016, from London-Singapore-London. I am currently a 2 star Mariner with 59 days credit. 3 star Mariner level starts at 75 days. With onboard spending credits, I would probably reach 3 star level at day 13, and here is where an issue began. I called HAL and was told that I would not be able to use the 3 star perks until the next cruise after this one, which means that I would reach 3 star Mariner level at about day 13 and will not be able to use 3 star perks for the remaining 76 days of the cruise. I told the Hal person on the phone that this policy is cheap and insulting, so she referred me to the President’s Office of Guest Services, which said there is nothing they can do and transferred me to the Mariners office. A lower level person at the Mariners Office relayed comments to me from higher level people who did not do me the courtesy of speaking to me themselves. He said this is a Grand Cruise with segments, the first of which ends in Dubai on day 23. I could start using the 3 star perks then, but it would be incumbent on me to go the customer service desk and request that they give me the 3 star status (there was some question as to whether the ship has to grant it.). This means that I would be denied 3 star status for 10 days after achieving it until the next segment starts. They said that granting guests the next level Mariner status at the time they achieve it would be a record keeping problem (a lame excuse in the computer age), it wouldn’t be fair to other guests who have been denied the next Mariner level (why keep perpetuating an injustice just because they have done it in the past?), and some blathering about brand loyalty. I told them their policy is cheap, niggling and petty. It is insulting and does nothing to promote brand loyalty. Rather, it promotes brand hatred! The Mariner office then relented slightly and said if I book the cruise, they would “consider” giving me the 3 star status on the day that I achieve it, but they might not do so. I’m not going to spend $20,000 to $25,000 on a cruise where HAL may consider giving me the 3 star status on the day that I achieve it, but they may not grant it. The issue here is only 10 days and a couple of discounts at a specialty restaurant, but it is a matter of principle. One should not go through such a demeaning experience when attempting to spend so much money. Apparently HAL would rather lose customers and create ill will rather than change a stone age policy. There are other cruise lines!

This is commonly discussed here, and well known. It is also well known that some extended voyages (Grand Voyages and Around the World cruises) allow you to realize the benefits of your new status during your cruise.

Callous? I don't think so. By the way, I have status with airlines and hotels. None of them grant you additional benefits in the middle of a qualifying stay or flight. And, oh yes, my status on Princess changed in the middle of our 17 day cruise in August. Guess what- no change in benefits until the next cruise.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I think this is standard around the industry. You don't get the perks until the next time you embark. At least you get the chance to "move up" at the end of a segment. Is ten days of being "cheated" out of your perks such a terrible thing that you won't book this cruise?

We are in high frequent cruiser categories on many lines and they all follow this same policy. In fact, HAL is more generous then most in allowing one to move to the next category if this happens on a Grand Cruise. As to being "cheated out of perks" this sounds a bit like looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Hank

Wow upset about free laundry

No, OP is going from 2-star to 3-star. Free laundry doesn't kick in until 4-star level. So the difference on board is the 25% discount on wine packages, specialty coffee, and "select spa treatments" whatever that is. I've been 3-star for my last two cruises and didn't use any of that because I wasn't paying attention. Next time, I'll remember to check out the wine packages. ;)

A lot of cruisers have commented here that they have taken a short cruise to complete the promotional requirements in advance of a longer cruise to ensure that they would acquire the higher level perks. Of course, they've generally been a lot closer to meeting the requirements, but if it is all that important to you, that's another avenue for you to consider.

I hit the next star level 4 days into a 21-day cruise. I didn't get the benefits or recognition until my next cruise. Thems the rules. I didn't find it callous.
Did you get the pins on the cruise or after you got home? (We are 2 days from 4! ) :)

Cruisers on HAL should be aware of HAL’s callous attitude towards guests who reach the next highest Mariner star level while on a cruise. They will not be able to enjoy the higher level Mariner status until sailing on the next cruise. For example, if a guest is a 2 star Mariner on a 20 day cruise and reaches 3 star level 4 days into the cruise, that guest will not be allowed to enjoy the higher level perks for the remaining 16 days of the cruise and must wait until sailing on another cruise after the current one to enjoy the higher Mariner star level.

I was very interested in booking HAL’s 89 day cruise on the Rotterdam to the Far East starting on Jan 8, 2016, from London-Singapore-London. I am currently a 2 star Mariner with 59 days credit. 3 star Mariner level starts at 75 days. With onboard spending credits, I would probably reach 3 star level at day 13, and here is where an issue began. I called HAL and was told that I would not be able to use the 3 star perks until the next cruise after this one, which means that I would reach 3 star Mariner level at about day 13 and will not be able to use 3 star perks for the remaining 76 days of the cruise. I told the Hal person on the phone that this policy is cheap and insulting, so she referred me to the President’s Office of Guest Services, which said there is nothing they can do and transferred me to the Mariners office. A lower level person at the Mariners Office relayed comments to me from higher level people who did not do me the courtesy of speaking to me themselves. He said this is a Grand Cruise with segments, the first of which ends in Dubai on day 23. I could start using the 3 star perks then, but it would be incumbent on me to go the customer service desk and request that they give me the 3 star status (there was some question as to whether the ship has to grant it.). This means that I would be denied 3 star status for 10 days after achieving it until the next segment starts. They said that granting guests the next level Mariner status at the time they achieve it would be a record keeping problem (a lame excuse in the computer age), it wouldn’t be fair to other guests who have been denied the next Mariner level (why keep perpetuating an injustice just because they have done it in the past?), and some blathering about brand loyalty. I told them their policy is cheap, niggling and petty. It is insulting and does nothing to promote brand loyalty. Rather, it promotes brand hatred! The Mariner office then relented slightly and said if I book the cruise, they would “consider” giving me the 3 star status on the day that I achieve it, but they might not do so. I’m not going to spend $20,000 to $25,000 on a cruise where HAL may consider giving me the 3 star status on the day that I achieve it, but they may not grant it. The issue here is only 10 days and a couple of discounts at a specialty restaurant, but it is a matter of principle. One should not go through such a demeaning experience when attempting to spend so much money. Apparently HAL would rather lose customers and create ill will rather than change a stone age policy. There are other cruise lines!

I dont think it works any differently on airlines or hotels, typically when I reach an elite level the perks are available on the next trip.

I guess I differ with you here, I look at the perks as "perks" not entitilements.

If you're that upset about it, you certainly dont need to book with HAL.

Believe me, a 3 *** Mariner rating isn't anything all that great. I'll be happy to finally qualify for free laundry at 4**** level. You get 25% off meals in the Pinnacle. But, we keep cruising. Enjoy your cruise & don't get upset about lack of perks mid cruise.

I don't understand why anyone told the OP that this is a Grand Voyage.

It is listed on the HAL website under Asia/Pacific, not Grand Voyages and is called "Passage to the Far East".

I remember someone doing a blog a couple of years ago on this cruise and the Front Desk kept saying in relation to the level of service, etc, "this is a long cruise, not a Grand Cruise".

Did you get the pins on the cruise or after you got home? (We are 2 days from 4! ) :)

Previously, they were mailed to us after cruise. On Veendam last month, we got our 5-star pins a couple of days before the end of the cruise.

Congrats on the 4-star! The best perk, in our minds, is the free laundry.

Dave

Wow upset about free laundry

Not even - free laundry is 4 stars and the OP is just going to hit 3 stars.

It is NOT like this is a big secret, it is listed at least twice that I can remember (so may be more) in HAL's literature and website. Only Grand Cruises (only So America, Med and World) allow for the new status during a cruise which is explicitly listed.

Although I do admit the 25% discount on wine, specialty restaurants, Explorer's Café and the spa discount are nice when you hit 3 stars, do you think it is really worth the rant.

Now if you can control yourself and politely ask at the front desk or calmly talk with the hotel director after you are eligible for 3-stars, they may surprise you - but do not expect or plan on it.

Believe me, a 3 *** Mariner rating isn't anything all that great. I'll be happy to finally qualify for free laundry at 4**** level. You get 25% off meals in the Pinnacle. But, we keep cruising. Enjoy your cruise & don't get upset about lack of perks mid cruise.

I agree, certainly not worth the venting at the level of the OP.

Not even - free laundry is 4 stars and the OP is just going to hit 3 stars.

It is NOT like this is a big secret, it is listed at least twice that I can remember (so may be more) in HAL's literature and website. Only Grand Cruises (only So America, Med and World) allow for the new status during a cruise which is explicitly listed.

Although I do admit the 25% discount on wine, specialty restaurants, Explorer's Café and the spa discount are nice when you hit 3 stars, do you think it is really worth the rant.

Now if you can control yourself and politely ask at the front desk or calmly talk with the hotel director after you are eligible for 3-stars, they may surprise you - but do not expect or plan on it.

Maybe or maybe not. I tried that on my Prinsendam Collectors where I had sufficient credits on turnaround day for 4 stars. I think I'd have gotten it if it had been a true B2B rather than a collectors but no luck. I didn't book the cruise to be 4* in the middle and it would have been a nice thing to have, but I booked the cruise because it was what I wanted to do. The "free laundry" as a perk would have been nice, of course I had free laundry anyway, just a few doors down the hall from my cabin since this was the Prinsendam. Put the stuff in the washer, walk 1 1/2 miles on the Promenade deck, move the stuff to the free dryer, walk another 1 1/2 miles, take my clean dry clothes back, and finish my walk.

Roy

About getting the pins on board instead of being mailed to you -- I asked the Mariner Society about that (among some other details of my account) and just received this reply:

"Also, please note pins are presented on the ship they are no longer mailed to guest. You will receive recognition pins when you cross over to the next level onboard the cruise."

Dave

I don't understand why anyone told the OP that this is a Grand Voyage.

It is listed on the HAL website under Asia/Pacific, not Grand Voyages and is called "Passage to the Far East".

I remember someone doing a blog a couple of years ago on this cruise and the Front Desk kept saying in relation to the level of service, etc, "this is a long cruise, not a Grand Cruise".

I didn't notice anybody say this was a Grand Voyage. People said that if you are on a Grand Voyage, or a World Cruise, you can get your new benefits during the cruise.

Spend $20-25K on a cruise and complain about a $7.25 discount at the Pinnacle?:confused:

Edited by kjw869